Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Arbitrary Code Execution Discussion

Alternate Ending with ACE: Champion Oak - Page 1

Alternate Ending with ACE: Champion Oak

Posted by: Altaria26
Date: 2019-11-16 17:51:34
Hi all, first time posting here.

I've really enjoyed learning about all the ACE possibilities from the discussions here, and I thought I should contribute something  :)

After gifting myself a few flawless Pokemon, I wanted to see if I could pull off something a bit more elaborate, perhaps similar to LuckyTyphlosion's mew truck demo (but much simpler code-wise).

I remembered that unused trainer data for Prof. Oak exists in the game, implying that he was originally intended to be the Pokemon league champ. Why not bring that idea to life?

A PC box full of spaghetti code later, and the result is here: https://youtu.be/rtb69s56kM0

Of course, a ROM hacker can do this and more, but I like to think that my 8 year old self would have got a kick out of knowing that this "alternate ending" can be unlocked through elaborate glitching ;D

The code's not well documented, but I'll give the gist:

Hopefully someone gets some use (or entertainment) out of this…

Enjoy!

Re: Alternate Ending with ACE: Champion Oak

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-11-16 23:24:21
Whoooa! That's a lot of input and quite a bit of figuring out too. Crazy. Would you be able to post more about your setup?

Well, this is…a lot of attention. Not undeserved, of course.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/MsiNrgS.png[/img]

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-11-17 00:52:36
Whoa this is incredible!! :o You're a genius. It must have taken a lot of planning and determination. Umm is it ok if you share your save file? Thank you for your hard work! :D

Posted by: Altaria26
Date: 2019-11-19 16:07:57
Glad you like it  :)

Would you be able to post more about your setup?

Umm is it ok if you share your save file?

Perhaps what I'll do is try and copy the final code into emulator so that everyone can play it or inspect the code :)