Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Project "Gotta Document 'Em All"

Database Wikification - Would anyone like to assist? - Page 1

Database Wikification - Would anyone like to assist?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-08-17 09:14:11
I spoke with Abwayax yesterday about our dex extension, and due to persisting errors we decided to disable it. This has for a second time broken all of the dex pages that aren't already converted. However fortunately the data is still there other than base stats, which are relatively easy to find if you have the ROM and a hex editor (see this article by Stag019) and are also mainly documented on Bulbapedia.

Due to computer addiction however I've allocated a maximum of 5 hours each on Mondays and Thursdays to fill out Generation I glitch Pokémon data in the format below (the rest of the days are for my other projects (YouTube and Starfy 1 translation project) also with a five hour cap):

http://glitchcity.info/wiki/User:Torchickens/Sample_RBY_glitch_Pok%C3%A9mon

Even with this however, finishing the GlitchDex will likely still take a few weeks.

For this reason I'm asking whether if anybody like to team up and split the work please? :)

Here is an article that is already finished for further reference:

http://glitchcity.info/wiki/GlitchDex/Y:000

If you'd also want to work on the AttackDex or ItemDex and the newer TypeDex, UnownDex (e.g. wikifying and tidying individual move, item articles, adding more articles, finishing a front page with excel to wiki), I'd also be very grateful, I've wanted to get these finished as a priority before adding new glitch pages. Thanks in advance!

Re: Database Wikification - Would anyone like to assist?

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2017-08-17 10:23:15
Maybe I could try after I finally finish Poke`mon Yellow? I do believe that the previous wiki entries were messy. However those red and blue colours hurt my eyes. Maybe replace them? The red could be FFC0C0 instead of FF0000, and the blue could be C0C0FF instead of 0000FF? Or maybe they could be averaged towards grey instead of getting lighter. Yellow and green are fine imho.

I don't know, the latter half of that paragraph was kind of nitpicky and off-topic.

Date: 2017-08-17 10:34:16

Maybe I could try after I finally finish Poke`mon Yellow? I do believe that the previous wiki entries were messy. However those red and blue colours hurt my eyes. Maybe replace them? The red could be FFC0C0 instead of FF0000, and the blue could be C0C0FF instead of 0000FF? Or maybe they could be averaged towards grey instead of getting lighter. Yellow and green are fine imho.

I don't know, the latter half of that paragraph was kind of nitpicky and off-topic.

Hmm, FFC0C0 is a pink, which doesn't really suit the template, but that shade of blue is nice. I changed the red to D5111B and the blue to your shade of blue. How does it look now?

Maybe I could try after I finally finish Poke`mon Yellow?

Thanks! Do you mean the research document you made? I think I already gathered most of the data except for the name bytes and palette attribute data and added them to the non-wikified articles so that may save you time. :)

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2017-08-17 11:21:12
Hmm, FFC0C0 is a pink, which doesn't really suit the template, but that shade of blue is nice. I changed the red to D5111B and the blue to your shade of blue. How does it look now?

Looks great! I also like how there's more technical information about the Pokémon than Bulbapedia's pages, that's something I always thought was missing.

Date: 2017-08-18 09:38:29

Looks great! I also like how there's more technical information about the Pokémon than Bulbapedia's pages, that's something I always thought was missing.

Awesome! I'm glad it now looks OK. :)

Yeah, I feel it's always a good thing to have extra information and it reminds me of Wikipedia's articles on stars, planets, etc. They have a lot of information making it a good database.

I don't want GCL wiki to become redundant over Bulbapedia's glitch articles but at the same time I support Bulbapedia and think it's amazing how they have covered so much information on the Pokémon franchise. If Bulbapedia are interested when GCL wiki is more complete I'd personally like us to become affiliates and maybe we could even form a glitch network similar to NIWA.

Though Super Mario Wiki and Donkey Kong Wiki for instance are both in NIWA they don't take each other's information, so as long as people don't copy information word for word I feel that would be fine. In many cases GCL wiki could have more technical information on glitches and perhaps Bulbapedia could have a template that says "for more technical information, Glitch City Wiki also have an article on this glitch" or similar.

Posted by: camper
Date: 2017-08-18 12:16:31
Bulbapedia glitch articles are more based on observations (sometimes special cases that rarely happen) while ours are more about what actually happens and how you can replicate it.

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2017-08-18 13:19:14

Bulbapedia glitch articles are more based on observations (sometimes special cases that rarely happen) while ours are more about what actually happens and how you can replicate it.
Like instead of "the game crashes", we say "We hit an FF, thereby overwriting all of memory and going into an infinite loop".
Sorry, just making an example to help clear it up because I'm tired.

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2017-09-10 09:26:23
http://glitchcity.info/wiki/GlitchDex/Y:191
here's an example of a page that wasn't converted yet. Or at least partially converted.