Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation VII Glitch Discussion

Spiky Shield Sky Drop glitch - Page 1

Spiky Shield Sky Drop glitch

Posted by: SnorlaxMonster
Date: 2017-02-27 08:41:57
This glitch was discovered by accident at a Premiere Challenge hosted by OriginGamma.

If a Pokémon uses Sky Drop on a target that used Spiky Shield, but faints due to Spiky Shield, the user of Sky Drop will have its HP reach 0 but remain on the field. It cannot use moves (creating a dead slot), but it also is considered conscious (making it impossible to move).

Would be interesting to see what happens if both sides only have a Pokémon with 0 HP on their field at the same time…

Source and video

Also, it's worth noting this is the third Sky Drop glitch discovered in Sun and Moon. There's the Red Card Mimikyu bug mentioned in this thread; and there's the this bug mentioned on GameFAQs that causes the target of Sky Drop to become invisible if the user of Sky Drop faints due to Rocky Helmet/Rough Skin.

I checked both the Spiky Shield Sky Drop glitch and the Rocky Helmet/Rough Skin Sky Drop glitch in Gen 6, and neither occurs.

Re: Spiky Shield Sky Drop glitch

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-02-27 17:19:56
Cool glitch SnorlaxMonster. I should be able to make a video about this. Before I do, do you know in advance what happens when the battle ends with the Sky Drop user as the only Pokémon left?

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2017-02-28 01:49:20
This is interesting. So this Pokémon can't move and you can't kill it, right? You basically can't use this slot anymore so you have to finish the battle with 1 Pokémon instead of 2. I'm very interested in what happens in a single battle. If the game just stuck until the opponent kills itself with struggle?

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-02-28 10:56:56
To kill itself, the opponent could Selfdestruct. If type effectiveness makes it deal 0 damage to the opponent we can achieve the desired effect.

Also, are items usable on the slot ?

Date: 2017-03-02 06:54:15

Cool glitch SnorlaxMonster. I should be able to make a video about this. Before I do, do you know in advance what happens when the battle ends with the Sky Drop user as the only Pokémon left?

From what I've read, it's impossible to lose if you have an "undead" Pokémon due to this glitch.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-03-02 11:38:57
So the only ways out are either the opponent dying from Struggle or ragequitting ?

I guess the "only" solution would be to ban Spiky Shield from online battles.
[size=1pt]Or just to fix the glitch, GAME FREAK ?!!???!!![/size]

Date: 2017-03-03 05:26:37
Yes, and it will probably be patched anyway.

But we need to test this in french games, it's an awesome glitch!

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2017-03-04 18:16:37
Okay, so it might be possible to get your whole party fainted for the first time since gen 4 with this.

Get a smeargle with spiky shield and memento and your sky drop pokemon with low hp.
Fight a wild smeargle and use spiky shield so it gets sketched. Then use memento to kill our own smeargle.
Then send in the sky drop pokemon and use sky drop and have it protected with spiky shield.
Then run? or wait for smeargle to struggle itself to death.

If running and struggle don't work you could use a ditto and have it transform your smeargle and just hope it uses the right moves and kills itself with memento.

Date: 2017-03-05 05:37:19
This could lead to awesome things, right?

Posted by: SgvSth
Date: 2017-03-09 23:33:02

Okay, so it might be possible to get your whole party fainted for the first time since gen 4 with this.

What about Generation V?

Date: 2017-05-17 07:57:13
Before this glitch is patched to everyone with the latest update, do we know what happens when you finish by winning a battle with only a zombie Pokémon?

Do you black out or just hang around with a team of fainted Pokémon?

Posted by: TheSixthItem
Date: 2017-05-17 16:10:19

Before this glitch is patched to everyone with the latest update, do we know what happens when you finish by winning a battle with only a zombie Pokémon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M32v9L5jGjQ
Doing this in a link battle just skips you but we should try this with rocky helmet. Glitzer Popping Part 2 Anyone?
O… You can't hit that slot.
GOD, would this be easier in BW2

Date: 2017-05-18 01:51:38

Doing this in a link battle just skips you but we should try this with rocky helmet. Glitzer Popping Part 2 Anyone?

Strictly, it's that it skips your turn if you have no other active Pokémon. I imagine the same thing would happen if you re-produced this in the Battle Tree, or really any battle for that matter.

This doesn't work with Rocky Helmet because Rocky Helmet does damage on the 2nd turn of Sky Drop, not the first; instead, there's a different glitch associated with Sky Drop and the Rocky Helmet.

Date: 2017-05-19 10:51:01

Yes it skips you, but if you're invincible and can't play, the opponent will Struggle to death. And if it's your only Pokémon, and if the game don't understand that your team is fainted, yeah it could lead to Pomeg glitch-related stuff.

Posted by: Caveat
Date: 2017-05-19 14:32:21
If the Gen 3 incarnation of the Pomeg glitch caused so much havoc, who knows what this glitch could do…
Does the game think you have no Pokemon left if you, say, have one "living dead" Pokemon and one normal one who knocks itself out?