Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation VII Glitch Discussion

WOW. Pokemon sun phantom town 999 - Page 1

WOW. Pokemon sun phantom town 999

Posted by: 0ErrorYT
Date: 2018-05-05 06:39:48
I found a glitch map in Pokemon sun, using invaild pkhex to set the map to 999, there appears to be nothing, just all blackness. However it shows me in a valid location on the map. I could move, and found parts of valid maps. I found a Pokemon center you can't go in, grass with no encounters, and signs you can't read. This seems a lot like Gen 1 Phantom towns, so I will call this Gen 7 phantom maps.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24umXVVhq7U

Re: WOW. Pokemon sun phantom town 999

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-05-05 07:17:59
Wow, great find! Pretty cool that this one does not freeze the game.

Posted by: Duelist Of Roses
Date: 2018-06-30 17:56:52
I think you are in an invalid location and as a means to prevent crashing, it places you on a valid location. Also, the parts of valid maps are most likely because of invalid map code being accessed.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-07-01 06:58:44

I think you are in an invalid location and as a means to prevent crashing, it places you on a valid location.

Doubt it. It may be that the game clamps the values of maps to indeed prevent crashing, which fetches similar data to a valid map, but not all data (eg. terrain data but not encounter data). It's still not a valid location, though.

Also, the parts of valid maps are most likely because of invalid map code being accessed.

This sentence has no meaning whatsoever, lol

Posted by: 0ErrorYT
Date: 2018-07-14 23:16:03
I've got bricked saves before from messing around with this. Low IDs like 0,1,2 will destroy the save with an error message, but Citra ignores null derefs. When i open the map on Citra, it runs through every address and reports a null deref for each address