Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Rate My Team

Raising a team and need an opinion - Page 1

Raising a team and need an opinion

Posted by: IttyBitty
Date: 2010-02-07 19:36:13
So far, this team is half-finished; three are still waiting for me to decide on the details before I move on.  It's a single battles team, one I'll probably use on wifi. I'll decide on natures and whatnot later; at the moment, I'm still finalizing the movesets. Everyone's at level 50. Everyone except maybe the Poliwrath I plan to have as a male (Ambipom doesn't matter so much in gender either).
The only thing that bugs me about this team is its lack of a good Ground move (i.e Earthquake) and hence a lack of a way to take out Electric types.

Ambipom @ Focus Sash
Agility
Nasty Plot
Baton Pass
Substitue/Swift/Double Hit (Can't decide…)

Ambipom is my lead- he sets up and Baton Passes to whatever I feel like (Ampharos if I need a special sweeper, Ursaring if I just want to go physical). Focus Sash for his somewhat low defenses.

Ampharos (Roscoe) @ Quick Claw
Thunderbolt
Signal Beam
Power Gem
Focus Blast

Already raised, hits like a truck, and is waiting to sweep. Quick Claw because hes slow . . . really slow. His speed ended up being like 60.

Arcanine (Rahzar) @ Zap Plate
Flamethrower (I looked at Fire Fang, looked at his special attack, and chucked it for Flamethrower)
Thunder Fang
Crunch
Extremespeed

Zap Plate to boost Thunder Fang, his weakest move.

Ursaring (Ringo) @ Flame Orb (Guts)
Protect
Façade
Crunch
Brick Break

Protect to activate the Flame Orb and then pound away.  Crunch for ghosts, Brick Break for steels and rocks. Im hoping Ambipoms agility will pair nicely with him, boosting him up so he can outspeed more than he can now. He's pretty slow as well…I think his speed came out to 85 or so.

Poliwrath @ (item yet to be chosen)
Waterfall
Body Slam
Attract
Double Team/Submission

Planning on a possible Parattract.  The fourth move has me wavering, though; Submission is fun, but Double Team might be irritating (also fun).

Glaceon @ Brightpowder
Blizzard
Hail
Water Pulse
Shadow Ball

Basically something to take out dragons.  Takes full advantage of Blizzard+Snow Cloak.

Tips or opinions, please? This is the first team Ive made thats actually got a set-up; in the past, Ive preferred sweepers. Im hoping this is the team thatll finally beat my brothers.

Re: Raising a team and need an opinion

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2010-02-07 20:48:13
Quick Claw is not very good.  It could take your enemy by surprise, but it is not reliable enough.

Date: 2010-02-07 21:37:54

Quick Claw is not very good.  It could take your enemy by surprise, but it is not reliable enough.

It's saved my butt enough times for me to want it. And Ambipom can Baton Pass Agility to Ampharos if I see fit to send him in as well. Besides, Ampharos isn't the most frail thing I've ever raised; even if the Claw doesn't kick in, he doesn't often die right off.
I was actually hoping for an opinion on the team as a whole, and on the moves I'm unsure about…

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2010-02-07 22:02:22
My first impression on seeing this team is that Togekiss pretty much makes an infinitively better parafuser than Poliwrath, and that Quick Claw is unneeded on Ampharos when you already have Ambipom to Baton Pass speed to it. Other than that, if you just want to beat your brother, perhaps you could tell us what you know of his team so we can suggest counters for it.

Date: 2010-02-08 09:09:25

My first impression on seeing this team is that Togekiss pretty much makes an infinitively better parafuser than Poliwrath, and that Quick Claw is unneeded on Ampharos when you already have Ambipom to Baton Pass speed to it. Other than that, if you just want to beat your brother, perhaps you could tell us what you know of his team so we can suggest counters for it.

Hm…hadn't originally thought of the Agility Baton pass…good point…
Unfortunately, I don't know what's on his team, nor does he know what's on mine. It'll likely be a blind battle.

Edit: Okay, here's my second idea. Ditch the Glaceon and teach the Poliwrath Ice Punch in place of Double team/Submission. Instead of the Glaecon…

Snorlax @ Lum berry/Chesto Berry
Belly Drum
Rest
Earthuquake
Crunch

Maxes attack, Rests off the damage, and then pounds away with Earthquake or Crunch. Possible to Agility him up from Ambipom as well. This would solve my niggling of not having something with Earthquake in this set…

Ugh, forget that; I don't need three normal types and nothing for fighting types. Here's a more thought-out idea…

Heracross @ (some item I haven't thought of yet)
Earthquake
Aerial Ace
Megahorn
Something else I haven't decided on yet.

There! Something that covers my lack of something to take out fliers, lack of something to take out Electrics, and who can switch in on Ambipom's Baton Pass of there's a fighting type waiting. And I've never raised one, so it could be fun.