Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Rate My Team

New Battle Tower Team: Which three sets from these? - Page 1

New Battle Tower Team: Which three sets from these?

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2010-07-14 13:49:43
Before I attempt to pass 100, I decided I would ask for help with a Trick team. I've trained a few different Pokémon, and am just wondering which three to pick. Here they are:
Cresselia@Choice Scarf
252 HP, 252 Spd, 6 Def
- Trick
- Thunder Wave
- Safeguard
- Flash
Standard lead. Safeguard is often great to have for more backup.

Scizor@Leftovers/Sitrus Berry
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 6 HP
Ability: Technician
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
Sitrus Berry if I give another member Leftovers. Standard physical attacker. Quickly can set up with Swords Dance and pull me out of the gutter with Superpower when needed. Bullet Punch is great, as it's a priority move.

Registeel@Leftovers
252 HP, 252 Def, 6 SDef
- Amnesia
- Curse
- Iron Head
- Substitute
Physical wall and attacker when set up. Would go well with a partner that fares well against Fire.

Latios@Lum Berry
252 SAtk, 252 Spd, 6 HP
- Dragon Pulse
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Substitute
Special attacker and wall when set up. Goes well with something to handle Ice.

Gyarados@Lum Berry
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 6 HP
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Substitute
Dragon Dance/Intimidate abuser. Helps defend against physical attacks and gain time for stat boosts. Brutal when set up. Earthquake for Electric types.

Option that would simply require 2000 Coins:
Garchomp@Lum Berry
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 6 HP
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
Extreme physical attacker that would pair well with something to put against Ice.
Thanks!

Re: New Battle Tower Team: Which three sets from these?

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2010-07-14 14:22:59
What's with flash on the Cresselia?

Date: 2010-07-14 14:55:36

What's with flash on the Cresselia?
The only other viable options that I see are Reflect and Light Screen. Do you suggest I train a new lead?

Posted by: Wa
Date: 2010-07-14 15:29:05
Swords Dance Scizor is practically an instant win button in the Battle Tower - just be wary of Choice Scarf Heatran and other things that can resist Bullet Punch and outspeed Scizor. Choice Scarf Garchomp tends to be slightly more effective than Swords Dance; things like Starmie can 1HKO it without a Scarf. However, that's your choice, as Swords Dance Garchomp is a nearly unstoppable force. One more thing: Substitute isn't required to set up a Swords Dance or two. I recommend replacing it on some of the sweepers with other attacking moves (e.g. X Scissor on Scizor).

Date: 2010-07-14 15:56:01

Swords Dance Scizor is practically an instant win button in the Battle Tower - just be wary of Choice Scarf Heatran and other things that can resist Bullet Punch and outspeed Scizor. Choice Scarf Garchomp tends to be slightly more effective than Swords Dance; things like Starmie can 1HKO it without a Scarf.
Only problem with that is that Cresselia has to have a Scarf.
However, that's your choice, as Swords Dance Garchomp is a nearly unstoppable force. One more thing: Substitute isn't required to set up a Swords Dance or two.
It definitely helps dealing with surprise OHKOs via crits and OHKO moves, and can help it survive a hit against something that would normally outspeed it for an OHKO.
I recommend replacing it on some of the sweepers with other attacking moves (e.g. X Scissor on Scizor).
Might you recommend that over Superpower?
So Cresselia/Scizor/Garchomp sounds the best to you? I'll keep that in mind. Intimidate and Registeel have helped some 1000+ holders, though.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-07-14 16:12:00
I'd perhaps suggest Swagger on Cresselia to replace Flash, as this would be effective in the instance that your opponent's first Pokémon uses a status or 'changing move' such as Trick Room or Roar, for example if your opponent uses a Skarmory and uses Roar on the first turn, it will be stuck on Roar if you used Trick, so if Cresselia is sent out again it can use Swagger to gradually reduce the opponent's HP. Another example, presume a Slowking was stuck on Trick Room you could keep swaggering the Slowking and perhaps use Trick again when its HP is quite low, so that you could recieve your Choice Scarf back and give it to the opponent's second Pokémon.

I'm not really experienced with competitive battling, but maybe you could choose Cressellia, Latios/Garchomp and Registeel/Scizor? Cressellia, Scizor and Registeel striked the eye at first but that team might not go as well as planned because of the possibility that the opponent uses a leading Fire type Pokémon, as Cressellia and Registeel would have to rely on luck if it started off with a move like Fire Blast.

I was thinking that Latios might turn out to be more useful than Garchomp, because of a higher base special defense and having both a physical and special attacker (as two physical attackers might make victory harder for a mainly ground based Pokémon team for example)

Best of luck with your attempt!

Posted by: Wa
Date: 2010-07-14 16:14:33
I was actually recommending X-Scissor over Substitute on Scizor. A bulkier set can manage without Substitute, but not getting crippled by Will-O-Wisp or 1HKO'd by a surprise Fire attack is still a good thing.

Date: 2010-07-14 17:12:53

I'd perhaps suggest Swagger on Cresselia to replace Flash, as this would be effective in the instance that your opponent's first Pokémon uses a status or 'changing move' such as Trick Room or Roar, for example if your opponent uses a Skarmory and uses Roar on the first turn, it will be stuck on Roar if you used Trick, so if Cresselia is sent out again it can use Swagger to gradually reduce the opponent's HP. Another example, presume a Slowking was stuck on Trick Room you could keep swaggering the Slowking and perhaps use Trick again when its HP is quite low, so that you could recieve your Choice Scarf back and give it to the opponent's second Pokémon.
I think I'll give it that. Great tip.

I'm not really experienced with competitive battling, but maybe you could choose Cressellia, Latios/Garchomp and Registeel/Scizor? Cressellia, Scizor and Registeel striked the eye at first but that team might not go as well as planned because of the possibility that the opponent uses a leading Fire type Pokémon, as Cressellia and Registeel would have to rely on luck if it started off with a move like Fire Blast.
I like Garchomp and Registeel for Garchomp's speed and Registeel's Ice and Dragon resistance.

I was thinking that Latios might turn out to be more useful than Garchomp, because of a higher base special defense and having both a physical and special attacker (as two physical attackers might make victory harder for a mainly ground based Pokémon team for example)
The idea is to have such high stats that it doesn't matter (if I'm doing it right.) I think two physical attackers should be OK.

Best of luck with your attempt!
Thanks! :)
Also, has everybody completely overlooked Gyarados, or do you just think it isn't a good idea?

Date: 2010-07-14 20:41:12
After careful consideration during a chat with a friend about this, I've decided on:
Cresselia (Safeguard -> Light Screen)
Gyarados
Registeel
Any downsides anybody can think of?

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2010-07-15 20:45:00
If Zapdos uses heat wave in the battle tower it could be a problem, but I doubt it does.

Date: 2010-07-16 14:33:16

If Zapdos uses heat wave in the battle tower it could be a problem, but I doubt it does.
It can't.