Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Game Glitches Discussion

I need some help explaining glitchs and how they work. - Page 1

I need some help explaining glitchs and how they work.

Posted by: ngaurhoth1
Date: 2009-03-01 15:12:33
Can anyone help me add to this post?
You can help by giving me examples to post or more info to add.

Okay so drawing glitches REALLY hard but spriting them ultimately is not. People wanted me to ellaborate more on the concept of glitches.
Okay so as for appearance wise I have a few notes(plus examples):
Glitches have a tendency to appear in a rectangular form.
http://trsrockin.com/images/m.jpg

When glitches are not retangular with random pixels scattered everywhere they resemble another sprite with bad shading as shown in the video(the attacks here also show that  glitches appear in retangular forms)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEHsy4hc2XA&feature=channel_page

The last thing is glitches do not have any anatomy, it could be a metaur hat with batwings floating over it's head and have a foot for a face(This is not a glitch but it could be :D)

Misc Glitch information
Glitches can be as fun and free as you want them to be. I have a game where a glitch has an attack that drops a harpie on your head and it heals you. Attacks can be completely crazy so no idea is too stupid for them.

When glitches attack they often cause the background to become distorted or mixed up.

Re: I need some help explaining glitchs and how they work.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-03-01 17:07:37
Badly shaded and rectangular eh?

[attachment=1]

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-03-01 18:33:33
Glitches are more than just messed up graphics, discolorations and random unexplainable crap happening. Some programmers put glitches in their games intentionally. I guess Missingno. itself is one of those instances. However the method of obtaining it was purely a mistake by the programmers.

In a shitload of games you might come up with glitches that allow you to push through walls and other stuff. There are also a majority of lost objects that the programmers don't want you to see that are revealed through glitches among other things. There are also some games that are so littered with glitches that they are virtually unplayable. One example of this is ET for the Atari 2600. It looks like the creators just put the game together in five minutes.

There are many types of glitches and they can do a multitude of different things including but not limited to: game freezes, game crashes, and erased savefiles.

There are also glitches that can be triggered with a simple game enhancer code. However these glitches are homemade and should not be considered real glitches since they are errors that you create. I would like to note that regardless you get relatively more interesting effects with this method.
(Example:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr7jZEIdB-U&feature=channel_page)

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-03-01 18:38:13
Um…  This is a glitch research site.  We already know this.

Date: 2009-03-01 18:40:44
Exactly but I'm being polite to the newbie who doesn't know that.

Posted by: ngaurhoth1
Date: 2009-03-01 19:04:42

Um…  This is a glitch research site.  We already know this.

I'm not telling the people here this, I'm telling people on another site. I didn't think I even needed to bother specifying that.
While some people may dislike this idea, if you have ever played Megaman Battle Network you know that the game takes place in the cyberworld. Viruses are the enemy in those games, but for a fan game I am suggesting the addition of Glitches as enemies. I am having trouble adding to this concept so I came here to ask for help. Thank you Glisp for the stuff you contributed.

Date: 2009-03-01 19:19:59
You're welcome. Have fun with your fan game and whatnot.  :)