Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Game Glitches Discussion

The Debug Mode Topic - Page 2

Re: The Debug Mode Topic

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2007-03-27 19:30:51
Awhups, I made an error. You actually replace a script with 470F6E004990, not just 0F6E00 –  the 47 opens the text box border (which is why the previous screenshots didn't look like proper text), 49 closes it, and 90 ends the script. You can replicate it without the 47 and 49, and that's really simpler; the third and fourth screenshots were taken in the Game Corner because the script for the slot machine is 0F2A00 (meaning you only have to change one byte in that instance). There's a chance the game will freeze if you don't have that 90 in there.
I'm guessing it isn't a text script, right?

It is a text script in that it's supposed to be used with the dialogue box. It displays information when you activate it, and then displays "Now on DEBUG…" when you press A. The values in the first screenshot appear to vary.

Something I just now noticed is that the text speed for the "information block" is set to the fastest. Setting text speed in the Options menu makes it only 60 or 90 or so, even on "fast," and there's actually a faster speed (obtainable with GameShark, setting some variable to FF). The information block displays at super-fast speed, but the "Now on DEBUG…" message moves at normal text speed.

From what I can tell, the script has no actual debug functions, but I could be wrong – it's something I haven't experimented with much, after all.

That's really all I know about it. Here are some screenshots with the dialogue box script active (taken in different locations to see if there's some pattern with the values).

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/TheWierdo/debug05.png
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/TheWierdo/debug07.png
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/TheWierdo/debug09.png

Posted by: PichuUmbreon
Date: 2007-03-27 20:45:22
If GameGenie wasn't so bad, then I could have made a code for the debug mode. But unfortunately, its incapability of changing a lot of values in the ROM prevented me from making one.

Posted by: kit kat
Date: 2007-04-04 16:31:11
That happend to me once !! 

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2007-07-10 20:48:23

Somehow I think orange font is become alot more popular.

Posted by: Wicked Klown
Date: 2007-07-10 20:55:06

Strangely the first ones who used them were guests…. hmm strange.

Stop using that fucking font.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2007-07-11 09:26:24

Umm… Have you tried searching the Pokemon gameshark codes on the main site?
[spoiler3=Gold and Silver debug mode]
01EDC1C4
01EDC2C4
01EDC3C4
01EDC4C4
01EDC5C4
01EDC6C4
01EDC7C4
01EDC8C4
01EDC9C4
01EDCAC4
01EDCBC4
01EDCCC4
01EDCDC4
01EDCEC4
01EDCFC4
01ED41C4
[/spoiler3]

Ouch I tried that the game crashed and it said the save file is corrupted when i started gold normally

Posted by: coolglitchfan
Date: 2007-07-15 14:55:01

Umm… Have you tried searching the Pokemon gameshark codes on the main site?
[spoiler3=Gold and Silver debug mode]
01EDC1C4
01EDC2C4
01EDC3C4
01EDC4C4
01EDC5C4
01EDC6C4
01EDC7C4
01EDC8C4
01EDC9C4
01EDCAC4
01EDCBC4
01EDCCC4
01EDCDC4
01EDCEC4
01EDCFC4
01ED41C4
[/spoiler3]

Cool

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2007-07-15 21:48:46

Stop using that f**king font.

Please stop tormenting me about that….

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2007-07-15 21:50:23

Luckily, that was a long time ago!

Posted by: Mist-Cailus
Date: 2007-07-16 19:22:49

Luckily, that was a long time ago!

Yeah, if you were still using it, I would have been cussing you out already.

Posted by: glitchcityscientist9.65 B
Date: 2008-01-09 22:05:06
What exactly is debug mode? :-\

Date: 2008-01-10 19:19:20
A debug mode is programmed into games for use in game testing. Some of the features they can provide are infinite health, the ability to warp or walk through walls, or playing as boss characters (though not all debug modes have these, and there are plenty other features not listed).

Generally the programmers remove any debug functions before the game is released. There are two ways to do so: remove all code relating to the functions (after which it is impossible, through any means, to unlock the debug mode); or only remove access to the functions (which is easier for the programmer, but means that it may be possible to activate the debug mode through game manipulation, such as with a Gameshark).

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2008-01-11 15:03:06

Pokemon GSC has a script that displays some data and says, "Now on DEBUG". There's no way to access it other than manually editing the ROM.
Does it do anything, or is it just a cool beta phrase?

Date: 2008-01-11 16:49:59
G/S's doesn't appear to actually affect anything; all it does is display some unidentified (as of yet) information.

I should examine that again, and figure out if it does anything else…

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2008-01-11 18:23:32
I know a debug code.  In Sonic 3 and Knuckles you start the first level and press >> << ^^ on the swinging vines (may be << >> ^^) You'll hear a collected ring sound when entered correctly.  Press start and hit A to return to the title screen.  At the title screen got to the "Sound Test" below two player.  At the "sound test" level select, go to mushroom hill zone.  In Mushroom Hill Zone Act 1, grap on the levey that goes up and down and enter the code again to hear another collected ring sound.  Exit back to the title screen again then go back to the sound test.  Select anylevel while holding Start and A.  The game will pause before the level comes up.  Let go of start and hit start again.  You're now in debug mode.  Controls are much different in debug mode.  Press A to jump, B to go into the tile selector/WTW, press C for reverse gravity.  When the tile selector is activated, hit A to select or place a sprite, hit C to slect or place a sprite, (don't know the buttons, I've just been getting this info from memory) and hit B to return to normal gameplay.