Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Game Glitches Discussion

Mega Man X reset glitch - Page 1

Mega Man X reset glitch

Posted by: IttyBitty
Date: 2010-03-27 00:13:07
I recently became re-addicted to the Mega Man X series, and in looking up random glitch videos on Youtube, I found one that I've never personally experienced, but that seems to appear in video after video.

Now I'm not sure if this glitch appears on the SNES version (not mine, at least) or only on ROMs or emulators (forgive me on the topic of emulators, etc.- I have zero experience with them, or their terminology).
But here's the gist of it.
In most every video I've seen, the levels will play normally until the player fires their X-buster at something that deflects it (i.e. the igloos in Chill Penguin's stage, Chill Penguin when he's sliding/about to slide). When they do so, the screen fades out, and fades back in to the "You got *insert weapon here*!" screen. From here, the game will occasionally go back to the level select screen. More often, though, the screen fades out, and then fades back in to the HIGHWAY stage instead- the intro stage. The player will retain whatever weapon they just got, but any upgrades (such as the dash upgrade) will vanish mysteriously.

I actually find it quite funny to listen to the people in the videos freaking out. But I digress. :P

Occasionally, the 'reset' seems random- no deflection or anything, just resets for no particular reason. My curiosity is up- considering my lack of any kind of specialized technology other than an SNES, a PS2, and a copy of the original game and of X collection, I figured this would be the best place to hunt for more info.

Has anyone else heard of this glitch? Or know why it occurs? Or when?

Edit: And on the topic of Mega Man X glitches, X3's Tunnel Rhino just flew through the wall and vanished. And the screen was still shaking. And the sound effects kept coming. And when I fired at the wall he went through, it killed him. O_o What did I DO?

Re: Mega Man X reset glitch

Posted by: bwill11
Date: 2019-08-20 11:52:30
I know that this is a very old topic, but I thought it was important enough to mention why this happens. This gamefaqs topic from 8 years ago says that this does not ever occur on cartridge or on official rereleases. This is a result of a bad ROM dump that circulated a lot back in the late 2000s. There's something about the SNES Mega Man games where ROMs of them are bad. I had a ROM of Mega Man X2 that refused to work with save states or anything emulator-specific. TL:DR if you want to play the SNES X games, get one of the X collections. I've never seen the reason for this anywhere else on the internet so I thought that this would be worth mentioning.

Re: Mega Man X reset glitch

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-08-20 13:39:32

I know that this is a very old topic, but I thought it was important enough to mention why this happens. This gamefaqs topic from 8 years ago says that this does not ever occur on cartridge or on official rereleases. This is a result of a bad ROM dump that circulated a lot back in the late 2000s. There's something about the SNES Mega Man games where ROMs of them are bad. I had a ROM of Mega Man X2 that refused to work with save states or anything emulator-specific. TL:DR if you want to play the SNES X games, get one of the X collections. I've never seen the reason for this anywhere else on the internet so I thought that this would be worth mentioning.

Interesting!

Reminds me of that bad Monster Race 'save twice in a row to cause Glitch City' glitch that was caused by a modified ROM that made the game inaccurate.
https://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=8066.0