Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Game Glitches Discussion

(Newly discovered?) Super Mario Bros. glitch found. - Page 1

(Newly discovered?) Super Mario Bros. glitch found.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-06-09 16:22:54
I watched a video about a certain Super Mario Bros. glitch called 'beanstalk summoning magic' (tweeted by Tomato) and it got me wondering about something (see the last paragraph).

Apparently it works like this:

Basically you can lose a life to a Hammer Brother in World 5-2 when you're climbing a beanstalk, and the beanstalk may grow on your next attempt. (Youtube video)

There is an application of this:
If you're in two player mode you can have the beanstalk appear in an earlier course if Luigi was last in one.

With World 1-2 there are Buzzy Beetles you can climb down on to and get infinite lives with.

Is there a possibility of accessing glitch places without the Minus World trick or the Famicom cartridge ejecting tricks to access 256 worlds if you climb to the top of the beanstalk in a different place?

Re: (Newly discovered?) Super Mario Bros. glitch found.

Posted by: hpoké_coloradohugge
Date: 2014-06-09 16:44:27

Is there a possibility of accessing glitch places without the Minus World trick or the Famicom cartridge ejecting tricks to access 256 worlds if you climb to the top of the beanstalk in a different place?

I doubt it, since a level can only have a certian "warp exit", so even if you would be able to spawn a beanstalk in a World it would still always take you to the worlds respective "warp exit"; like for example if you do this glitch in World 5-2 and manage to somehow climb all the way to the top on the beanstalk (i have no idea how) it would still take you to "Coin Heaven A" ( http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros./Coin_Rooms#Coin_Heaven_A ) or possibly even "Swim Area A" ( http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros./Coin_Rooms#Swim_Area_A ) though i douth the latter one.

(Hmm…this got me thinking though; I wounder if this glitch is somehow different in Super Mario Bros.2 on Famicom Disk System, just cause that game usually has more "warp exit"'s if im not mistaken….)

Posted by: Ryccardo
Date: 2015-05-10 12:47:05
Pipes and vines in SMB1 work like pipes and doors in SMW – you can only have one destination per "screen" (and being pushed to the right side of the currently viewable area makes it possible to access pipes of the next screen with them pointing to the active one, so practically you can get to the sky zone of 4-2 by entering a pipe)!

Warp zones are the exception, where 3 different warps are set up in the area of a single view (and this is how minus world works: the game, by not having processed yet the "lock camera and start warp zone" "enemy", is confused in using 4-2's warp zone, which only has the middle pipe to world 5 despite all warp zones having 3 exits – the two side ones are conveniently set to world 36 as character 36 is a space…)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-05-14 06:49:30
Ah. Thanks for that.