Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Game Glitches Discussion

Serious emulation problem with Monster Race (GB)? - Page 1

Serious emulation problem with Monster Race (GB)?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-08-30 20:56:11
A while ago now I picked up this interesting Japanese game called Monster Race () in which you collect and race with monsters.

It turns out saving twice in that game (or even once) on both BGB(!) and VBA may cause a 'glitch' that creates a Glitch City and allows you to skip parts of the game, but I haven't been able to get that to work on a real Game Boy Advance SP or a physical Super Game Boy.

[img]https://media.giphy.com/media/3ov9jXU9bdDDi1IYCI/giphy.gif[/img]

Ryuto138 has a TAS video that exploits the error to complete the game quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ9RqF8KGV4

Re: Serious emulation problem with Monster Race (GB)?

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2017-08-31 07:54:30
Might be a game-specific problem. Or just s**t code. I'll do some testing.
EDIT: This works on shitty emulators, hyper-accurate emulators, and emulators that force GB mode. Strange.
EDIT 2: aaaaaand i've raped the game. Not a suprise.

Date: 2017-08-31 13:25:40

Might be a game-specific problem. Or just s**t code. I'll do some testing.
EDIT: This works on shitty emulators, hyper-accurate emulators, and emulators that force GB mode. Strange.
EDIT 2: aaaaaand i've raped the game. Not a suprise.

Thanks for testing! Yeah, I thought so too after it worked on BGB (otherwise known as an accurate emulator). Which emulators did you try may I ask?

Date: 2017-09-01 09:16:10
Gambatte, mGBA, LameboyDS, and DSBoy.
All of them had the problem. I also tried a friend's flashcart on his GBA SP, and it was present there, albeit inconsistent. This kinda makes me believe that a bad dump was hashed as the known-good.
(Also, if you can find the item in the starting town and use it, you can see your expanded party. lel)

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2017-09-01 15:01:47

I also tried a friend's flashcart on his GBA SP, and it was present there, albeit inconsistent.

I'm assuming you mean a GB(C) flashcart like the old parallel-port ones from Bung?

By the way, another possible cause of this could be some form of anti-flashcart protection that is hit by emulators too.

Date: 2017-09-01 20:13:59

I also tried a friend's flashcart on his GBA SP, and it was present there, albeit inconsistent.

I'm assuming you mean a GB(C) flashcart like the old parallel-port ones from Bung?
It's some weird-ass GBA cart… "GBA Movie player" or some such. Takes those stupid fucking CompactFlash cards. He's got an 8MB… drive? card? in it, but he says it takes max. 256MB ones, and he can't find one that size.
Looks like this, but the card's flush with the cart end.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/Tx56XD0.jpg[/img]

Date: 2017-09-01 20:48:27

It's some weird-ass GBA cart… "GBA Movie player" or some such. Takes those stupid fucking CompactFlash cards. He's got an 8MB… drive? card? in it, but he says it takes max. 256MB ones, and he can't find one that size.
Looks like this, but the card's flush with the cart end.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/Tx56XD0.jpg[/img]

So, it's a cart that runs in GBA mode, and probably uses a GB emulator then.

Posted by: Caveat
Date: 2017-09-02 09:59:27
Maybe it only works on normal Game Boys, like that glitch where the player's sprite gets corrupted when using an Escape Rope?

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-09-02 11:36:52
Given that I own a DMG, a CGB and a GBASP plus two flashcarts, I'd be eager to test this - however I don't have the necessary ROM.

Date: 2017-09-02 11:46:43

Given that I own a DMG, a CGB and a GBASP plus two flashcarts, I'd be eager to test this - however I don't have the necessary ROM.

You can't search the Internet for it?

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-09-04 04:30:46
I tried but it yielded no valid result (now I get why, I typo'd the name)
This didn't work on my GBC, and Torchickens mentioned it didn't work on her GBA SP, so I believe the cart was faulty.

Date: 2017-09-04 09:48:43

Maybe it only works on normal Game Boys, like that glitch where the player's sprite gets corrupted when using an Escape Rope?
I tested in BGB in CGB mode, and it's present.

I tried but it yielded no valid result (now I get why, I typo'd the name)
This didn't work on my GBC, and Torchickens mentioned it didn't work on her GBA SP, so I believe the cart was faulty.
The glitch doesn't work? In that case, BGB is shit, VBA rules, and everyone's dead.
Seriously though, if even BGB fucks it up at 99.97% or so accuracy, there's something horribly wrong.

Date: 2017-09-04 11:07:27
I didn't think about that, maybe the ROM I used was indeed a bad dump (causing the errors on an emulator) and my physical cartridge (being official) was a good dump hence didn't have the glitch on GBA SP and my physical SNES/Super Game Boy.

This is the MD5 checksum of the ROM I used on emulator.
6C124C8C7FBF7D330EBC2F06DAD7E270

DAT-o-MATIC says this is a trusted dump, but with the information now maybe that was a false positive.

Date: 2017-09-04 11:36:31

I didn't think about that, maybe the ROM I used was indeed a bad dump (causing the errors on an emulator) and my physical cartridge (being official) was a good dump hence didn't have the glitch on GBA SP and my physical SNES/Super Game Boy.

DAT-o-MATIC says this is a trusted dump, but with the information now maybe that was a false positive.

Actually, it seems as if that ROM is a bad dump.
DAT-o-MATIC says that two dumps were made in 2014 and both have MD5 hash of 3029C962C483DF174FC6F5C9202326E3.

Date: 2017-09-04 12:21:41

Actually, it seems as if that ROM is a bad dump.
DAT-o-MATIC says that two dumps were made in 2014 and both have MD5 hash of 3029C962C483DF174FC6F5C9202326E3.

Welp. My tests are out the window too, then. I have Torchicken's hash.