Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games Discussion

Incoming: More Sonic Betas - Page 1

Incoming: More Sonic Betas

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2008-02-16 23:05:59
From http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=9912

drx just keeps on delivering. He'll be releasing protos of Sonic 2 (this proto seems to be the most finished Sonic 2 beta found), Sonic 3, and Knuckles Chaotix.

I'm considering raising some funds to donate to this guy for his hard work. I should hit him up about the possibility of finding Pokemon prototypes.

Re: Incoming: More Sonic Betas

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2008-02-16 23:42:44
I've seen a few Game Boy protos for sale, but nothing Pokemon. I imagine that since it's such a huge cash cow Nintendo would guard them jealously. :[

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2008-02-17 00:13:10
Go drx keep dumping those ROMs.

Now the question is, will a proto with a non-deleted Genocide City Zone ever be found?

Posted by: Sarial
Date: 2008-02-17 01:25:39
That Sonic 2 Gamma (yea, Im calling it Gamma as I consider the "Nick Arcade" one as Alpha, and the Simon Wai one as Beta >.>) sure looks interesting, I cant wait to play it ^.~

Also, that Chaotix prototype (which may have sonic in it btw) and the Sonic 3 Beta with the Lava Reef in it… ^.^;;

Date: 2008-02-17 02:12:13

That Sonic 2 Gamma (yea, Im calling it Gamma as I consider the "Nick Arcade" one as Alpha, and the Simon Wai one as Beta >.>) sure looks interesting, I cant wait to play it ^.~

Also, that Chaotix prototype (which may have sonic in it btw) and the Sonic 3 Beta with the Lava Reef in it… ^.^;;

Acctually that Sonic 2 ROM would be a Delta since it looks almost complete.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2008-02-17 02:29:12
Except "delta" isn't used in software development (gamma is as close to final as it can be without being final), and anyway, there is a hack called Sonic 2 Delta.

Date: 2008-02-17 08:35:45

Except "delta" isn't used in software development (gamma is as close to final as it can be without being final), and anyway, there is a hack called Sonic 2 Delta.
Yea, I decided to call that one "Sonic 2 Gamma" because there was already a Sonic 2 Delta hack >.>

[Edit: Or maybe "Release Candidate" is a more correct term, but I would expect a "Sonic 2 RC" to presumably have the Sonic 2 Final menu style and full Hidden Palace -.-]
[Edit2: Maybe Hidden Palace was erased to make room for the S2Final menu style >.>]

Posted by: Yuzihax
Date: 2008-02-17 10:46:58
Holy mother of God, another prototype is floating about?
It had to happen at some point, better now than later.

Yes, this excites me to no end.

Date: 2008-02-17 21:22:05
I don't think this is the Gamma stage of S2 since the level select has something called Neo Green Hill Zone which could be a copy of Emerald Hill Zone and has Dust Hill zone.

Date: 2008-02-17 22:41:29

I don't think this is the Gamma stage of S2 since the level select has something called Neo Green Hill Zone which could be a copy of Emerald Hill Zone and has Dust Hill zone.
Actually, Neo Green Hill Zone is a beta name for Aquatic Ruins Zone. And Dust Hill Zone is not the fabled Desert level, its the Mystic Cave Zone's beta name >.>

Posted by: Glitchby
Date: 2008-02-18 10:55:29
Now, all we need are some prototypes of the good Kirby Games, Kirby SuperStar and K64: The Crystal Shards, and then I can finally have a "new" Kirby game to enjoy until Kirby Wii comes out and I get a Wii

Date: 2008-02-18 11:53:05

Actually, Neo Green Hill Zone is a beta name for Aquatic Ruins Zone. And Dust Hill Zone is not the fabled Desert level, its the Mystic Cave Zone's beta name >.>

Dust Hill Zone has the same tiles and pallete of Mystic Cave Zone but is much different from the final Mystic Cave Zone in the final if we're talking about the Sonic 2 Beta's Dust Hill.  This Dust Hill is still unknown until Saturday.

Date: 2008-02-24 10:47:21
Ok, they have been released.  There's not just the ones listed, but 1000+ protos of MANY SEGA games!