Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games Discussion

Anyone remember... - Page 1

Anyone remember...

Posted by: Yuzihax
Date: 2008-11-12 19:46:00
Those old games you used to play when you were a lot younger?

I'm talking about those edutainment games and the like your parents would buy for you when you were 5+ and using the computer.

I recall playing those Carmen Sandiego games that my parents got for me every once in a while, most commonly would be Where in the USA (that game scared the fuck out of me with the mugshots) and Where in Time (fuck you England and making me do the fucking ship part.)

Anyone else have games like these?

Edit: I remember that it wasn't all edutainment and being an ACME Agent for a few hours, I also remember playing Byzantine: The Betrayal (I still laugh at the guy who would pop up and stab you with a stick) and James Burke's Connections on my PC every once in a while.

Re: Anyone remember...

Posted by: Mezase Master
Date: 2008-11-12 20:03:14
Of course, the school computers were full of 'em.  The first one we got for our own computer (when we finally bought one) was Mario Teaches Typing 2.

Posted by: :56 ERROR
Date: 2008-11-12 22:04:19
I remember playing Jumpstart Year 1 in Grade 1.
Once it glitched on me and said "aaaa-a-a" instead of "Good Job!". I obviously didn't know it was a glitch back then.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2008-11-13 01:28:38

Carmen Sandiego

Definitely the best of them. I used to play bunches of stuff from the Learning Company?Cluefinders, Road Adventures USA, Oregon Trail, Super Solvers (In the Hall of the Mountain King anyone?) ; also Math Blaster and Number Munchers.

Of course, the school computers were full of 'em.  The first one we got for our own computer (when we finally bought one) was Mario Teaches Typing 2.

That game crashed a ton but gave me a huge typing speed (at the time it was around 70wpm!). Now I type even faster, thanks to my Dvorak layout ;)

Posted by: Ratipharos
Date: 2008-11-13 15:17:56
Heck yeah. I played Jumpstart (almost all of them, thus awesome reading skills. I know how to pronounce 'chorus' as CH-or-us, not Korus. Ain't I special?), Math Blaser, Clufinders, Carmen Sandiego, and some typing game. I believe I have about 80 wpm?

{Completely off topic, but 'I am.' is the shortest complete sentence.}
{As well as the fact that we eat so many tons of turkey around thanksgiving, (net weight) that all our farts from the turkeys could power a fleet of 75 ——- from New York to I believe San Francisco in 24 hours. Think about that when you flatulate during your thanksgiving meal.}

Date: 2008-11-13 16:44:18

{Completely off topic, but 'I am.' is the shortest complete sentence.}
{As well as the fact that we eat so many tons of turkey around thanksgiving, (net weight) that all our farts from the turkeys could power a fleet of 75 ——- from New York to I believe San Francisco in 24 hours. Think about that when you flatulate during your thanksgiving meal.}

…yeeeah, don't make your posts half off-topic.

Make topics for that kind of information, but don't shove them in other's topics.

EDIT: On topic again, I also remember playing some game marketed for 4-5 year olds called "ToonLand" and I also remember playing the crap out of the Jumpstart series too whenever I had the chance.

Posted by: Ratipharos
Date: 2008-11-13 19:04:45
Sorry.

I can remember sneaking downstairs in the middle of the night to play Jumpstart. My parents took away my computer priviliges when this occured.

Oh, and the typing game was called Type To Learn 3. God, I hated that game, and, because of the seriousness of this situation, I didn't just use the lord's name in vain, for all you non-atheists. I also played Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing. I'm guessing it was designed with a typing test in mind, you know, the ones you take for jobs.

I remember old indian stories too, they were somewhat interactive, but not really. You just listened to them.

Stimulative games were big here, I remember Orly: Draw a Story, and how the disc(s!) broke so many times from constant use.

Date: 2008-11-13 20:01:01
oh god orly draw a story.

I still have those disks, they don't work anymore because of age/scratching/wearing down (can't find the motherfucking case).
The game was pretty fun, but after a while it just got boring doing stupid fill-in-the-predesigned-picture-with-color-and-go-on gameplay.

the retarded Jamaican accent got annoying, too.

I also used to play Super Solvers: Midnight Rescue on my olddddd laptop (which I still have, although nowadays it gives a BAD CHECKSUM error before booting. Guess she don't work like she used to.) and going around accusing the robots of being the "master of mysteries" or whatever it was called.

It was fun, though.

Posted by: Bluelatios
Date: 2008-11-14 11:46:41

I recall playing those Carmen Sandiego games that my parents got for me every once in a while
I remember Carmen Sandiego! I still have it somewhere but I never got around to beating it. Other games I played a lot are:

Hot wheels Stunt Track Driver for pc: It is insanely short but I had contests with my Dad to see who could pull the sickest tricks and get the highest scores  ;D!

The original Roller Coaster Tycoon: It was fun and all and I could get pretty far, but It took a long while to get even halfway through and our computer got a virus and I had to start over! But since I have the sequels to that game now, I never play it much anyways.

Pac-Guy in the "Pac-pack" game: A spin-off of Pac-Man (obviously), this addicting collection of several mini-quests featured different levels and monsters along with a basic plot rather than the long running "classic pac-man maze" which was (in my opinion) booooorrrinnng. We were on vacation in San Jose, CA when I was like, 8 when it got lost though  :(. A couple years ago however, the game had long been out of production, so it was available for free download online  :).

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2008-11-14 17:51:04
Some sort of buzz light year teaches stuff… game
that wasn't the exact title as I can't remember it off the top of my head.

Posted by: ultraVex
Date: 2008-11-18 14:31:56
Oregon Trail.
Oh god, I loved that game.

Posted by: atoms2ashes
Date: 2008-11-19 05:28:11
Only one I remember when I was in Second Grade was Mario Teaches Typing (Mind you, our resources here in the Philippines are limited.)

Posted by: MissingNo
Date: 2008-11-19 17:24:36
THE HOT WHEELS COMPUTER.
[img]http://www.applefritter.com/images/hotwheelscomputer-5309_640x480.jpg[/img]

Had one at day-care.

Posted by: ultraVex
Date: 2008-11-19 20:25:48

THE HOT WHEELS COMPUTER.
[img]http://www.applefritter.com/images/hotwheelscomputer-5309_640x480.jpg[/img]

Had one at day-care.

OH MY GOD.
Now that's something I haven't seen in some time, and I wasn't counting on it either.
Repressed memories. nah

Date: 2008-12-08 18:58:19
INCOMING REVIVAL CONTENT:

I found some other games that I used to play as a child, there was a Toy Story Action Game , which was based loosely around the second movie (basic gameplay: you played as Buzz Lightyear and did stuff to earn tokens and powerups.)

The other was, yet again, Toy Story, only this time it was a port of the SNES game of the same name.