Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games Discussion

Old Games, for a PC - Page 1

Old Games, for a PC

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-05-04 23:24:24
For a while now I've been trying to get an old game called Alien Trilogy on PC. The game was released in 1996, and it came out on the PS1 and PC, but since the UK are fucking terrible when it comes to games, I can't seem to find it. My brother had a copy of this game for PS1, but time I woke up/got woken up, when his bedroom was being cleared out, it was too late. So for ages, I've been trying to get it. I downloaded it from a site, and when I try and install it I keep getting error, that the game needs 8 RAM or more, when my PC has like 2800+, 2.00 GHz, 1.00GB of RAM, and I keep getting that error. I try and just play the game and when I do, it just closes. After all I don't own/have much games for a PC, since I've spent a lot of my years around consoles when it came to games. All I have for PC, is Unreal Tournament: Game of the Year, and Guild Wars. That's it. There aren't many games on a PC I liked, but I did love the original Rome Total War game. I unlocked everything with in no time I was good at it. But anyway, I'm stuck in finding a game that's really old, and trying to find other games, that'll I'd like. I already have Halo, Halo 2, and Halo 3, on Xbox. (I'm still useless, but I try.)

Re: Old Games, for a PC

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-05-05 00:15:00
http://www.google.com/search?q=alien+trilogy+dosbox

That should get you started.

Date: 2009-05-05 10:32:40
Hmm, thanks. I can't run it on my laptop, as the game was released for Windows XP.

Posted by: ?????(000)
Date: 2009-05-05 11:11:17
What's your laptop running?

Date: 2009-05-05 11:56:33
Windows Vista Service Pack 1. The game was out in 96, and Vista, wasn't around back then.

Date: 2009-05-05 13:34:06

Hmm, thanks. I can't run it on my laptop, as the game was released for Windows XP.

Alien Trilogy was released for DOS. DOSbox can play DOS games. DOSbox is available for Vista.

Date: 2009-05-05 14:07:29
DOSbox? Haven't heard of it.

Date: 2009-05-05 14:32:01
DOSbox is a DOS emulator. Go get it; it seems to be what you?re looking for.

Date: 2009-05-05 15:34:52
I managed to get it. Thanks for that. I was doing well, just the controls are annoying, but I was doing well ihad 100 health, bu tnow I'm now down to 46, because one of my cats, laid on my arm.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-05-05 19:58:14

Alien Trilogy was released for DOS. DOSbox can play DOS games. DOSbox is available for Vista.

I have a (very) old laptop running Windows 3.1 (hey, it's better then Vista) with a DOS shell (5.0).  Could I run it on that?

Date: 2009-05-05 20:56:53
I don't think you're old enough to play a horror game like that. To play it in the UK you must be 15 and over. I'll have to check out Amazon.co.uk, to see if they can get me a copy of the game again. The site I went to get AT (Alien Trilogy), the graphics, aren't how they should, the sound is awful and the controls are a fucking nightmare. I do have a PS1 Emulator but I can't find a copy of AT, for it to run on. Not DOSBox.

Date: 2009-05-05 21:41:44

I have a (very) old laptop running Windows 3.1 (hey, it's better then Vista) with a DOS shell (5.0).  Could I run it on that?

You might, but I?m not an expert at getting things running on DOS. That reminds me though, I need to install MS‐DOS and see if I can get MechWarrior 2: Mercs running.

Date: 2009-05-05 22:44:44
I'm not sure what verion of Windows Alien Trilogy works for. It runs on my Vista, due to DOSBox, but again the controls are a pain. I'm not used to using a keyboard for controls, but I'm fine with 'em when it came to Rome Total War. I did have an old game for PC but I don't remember the name.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-05-08 22:44:33

I don't think you're old enough to play a horror game like that. To play it in the UK you must be 15 and over. I'll have to check out Amazon.co.uk, to see if they can get me a copy of the game again. The site I went to get AT (Alien Trilogy), the graphics, aren't how they should, the sound is awful and the controls are a fucking nightmare. I do have a PS1 Emulator but I can't find a copy of AT, for it to run on. Not DOSBox.

Actually believe it or not most people say " Fuck video game ratings my parents will buy this for me and I'll get away with every bit even though I'm under age."
Actually most parents (particularly American Parents.) Are stupid or naive (whichever you prefer.) when it comes to reading video game ratings. 

Date: 2009-05-08 23:13:57
We are't too bad over here in jolly old England. I remember when I was out buying a game, this kid wanted… GTA: San Andreas, and the mother said to her son, no because the game is rated 18. I mean Guild Wars, is a game for people 12 and over and half the time there's kids on there, due to the bad spellings and such, and I'm like, Guild Wars has game violence and some swearing an if the kid picks up words from there from us older players where we turn off the chat fliter to censor swearing, where I used to sit around towns and chat to other players and we used to talk about things and such and sometimes we'd get a newbie, that's a 10 year old or something and I'm like, the game isn't for kids, under the age of 12 or something, yet some parents here still give their kids a game like that either because they are so spoiled. Over in America, the game is rated T for Teens and older players not for kids. I started horror games when I was like 9 but the first Mortal Kombat came out when I was 5, as me and my older brother had the first and I think it was 2nd MK game, and since then I've loved them and other games.