Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games Discussion

Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes is C&Ded by Square - Page 1

Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes is C&Ded by Square

Posted by: Sarial
Date: 2009-05-15 14:52:36
I don't know if anyone here is a Chrono Trigger fan (and sorry if this is the wrong forum), but…

Crimson Echoes, a fan-hack of Chrono Trigger, received a cease-and-desist issued by SquareEnix last week. This also brought down all of the other Chrono Trigger hacking-related sections of the site, including the Retranslation and the Temporal Flux hacking tool.

I'm disappointed at what happened, but at least this hasn't happened to the Pok?mon hacking sites yet (goth forbid Glitch City going down due to a C&D, as the entire site revolves around research and hacking for glitches)…

Re: Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes is C&Ded by Square

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2009-05-15 17:39:23

I don't know if anyone here is a Chrono Trigger fan (and sorry if this is the wrong forum), but…

Crimson Echoes, a fan-hack of Chrono Trigger, received a cease-and-desist issued by SquareEnix last week. This also brought down all of the other Chrono Trigger hacking-related sections of the site, including the Retranslation and the Temporal Flux hacking tool.

I'm disappointed at what happened, but at least this hasn't happened to the Pok?mon hacking sites yet (goth forbid Glitch City going down due to a C&D, as the entire site revolves around research and hacking for glitches)…

GameFreak is better and are not asses like SquareEnix.

Posted by: xparasite9
Date: 2009-05-15 17:56:04
Doubtful, as we are dealing with a different type of hacking here.
The hacking with a cheating device only changes a few values to produce certain results.
The type these people got busted for was changing storylines, maps, and probably sprites.

Makes me wonder whether we should have brought the ROM hacking board back.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-05-15 18:29:06
It can't be seen unless you're a member right? In that case unless Game Freak decides to join GCLF then they will never know its here. ;)

Posted by: Ratipharos
Date: 2009-05-16 08:51:28

It can't be seen unless you're a member right? In that case unless Game Freak decides to join GCLF then they will never know its here. ;)

Heh heh.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-05-16 12:36:43
Sonic Retro and Pokecomm would get C&D'd LONG before we ever would.

Posted by: ?????(000)
Date: 2009-05-16 13:45:04
Care to explain why these things happen?

Date: 2009-05-16 14:06:08
Well, ROM hacking is technically illegal, and creates a derivative work of a copyright work. What Glitch City does is not creation of derivative works, but using GameShark/Action Replay and other methods of glitching (such as the Ditto Glitch, etc.) to find glitches.

However, Crimson Echoes changed the storyline, maps, and spirtes of Chrono Trigger, and highly publicizing the ROM hack just weeks before release is probably what raised a red flag and caused SE to issue the C&D for Zeality and the CE team.

Yet the Pok?mon and Sonic communities (and the Mario community, AFAIK) have never gotten C&Ded, from what I can tell…

Posted by: ?????(000)
Date: 2009-05-16 15:32:46
Jesus Christ…. Why are people so touchy about when their material is used AND edited, then put up for public use?

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2009-05-16 16:30:52
Really, a ROM hack actually promotes the video game that's being hacked.

Date: 2009-05-16 17:01:37

Yea… but Square-Enix is a lot like a Viacom or WMG in recent times, especially after the merger, which was a good 5 or so years ago… (another Chrono-related project, called Chrono Trigger Resurrection, got C&Ded in 2004 or 2005, IIRC)

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-05-16 18:51:41

Yea… but Square-Enix is a lot like a Viacom or WMG in recent times, especially after the merger, which was a good 5 or so years ago… (another Chrono-related project, called Chrono Trigger Resurrection, got C&Ded in 2004 or 2005, IIRC)

They also currently merged with Eidos giving them control over the Dragon Warrior series.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-05-16 21:10:59
I thought Enix had control over the Dragon Warrior series before they merged or was it because Enix merged with Eidos and then merged with Squaresoft. The evil half of the company was Squaresoft. It can be seen by how they damaged Earthbound's reputation in America by releasing Pre-rendered bullshit in Final Fantasy IV.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-05-18 00:14:47
The Crimson Echoes people were doing a cool thing in my opinion, but outright saying ?ROM hacks are illegal, but?? in the readme was just stupid. Especially since it?s reasonably debatable.

Also, GCL is not in any danger of being taken down. From what I?ve seen, SE is much quicker to send C&Ds than Nintendo or Game Freak.