Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games Discussion

Pandora - Page 1

Pandora

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-06-08 21:46:57
Discuss.  I am so getting one.

Re: Pandora

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2009-06-09 18:21:35

I WANT THIS SOO BAD!

Date: 2009-06-09 18:55:17

I WANT THIS SOO BAD!

My thoughts exactly.

Posted by: ultraVex
Date: 2009-06-09 19:33:42
Are these going to be on retail?

Date: 2009-06-09 20:23:17

Are these going to be on retail?

Not in stores, unfortunately.

Posted by: Wa
Date: 2009-06-15 17:55:06
It can easily fit in your pocket.

Not in my pants. Clothing manufacturers are convinced that all females have purses and therefore don't need normal sized pockets.

I'm not terribly excited about Pandora. I don't need one because my laptop works fine. While it's awesome for other people (and I do like the Nintendo-esque controls), I'm not interested. End of story.

Date: 2009-06-15 20:06:17

I'm not terribly excited about Pandora. I don't need one because my laptop works fine. While it's awesome for other people (and I do like the Nintendo-esque controls), I'm not interested. End of story.

Shun the non-believer!  I'm going to get a Modbook, and I'm getting a Pandora anyways!  I am a bit irrational though…

Posted by: Ghostsanora
Date: 2009-06-16 23:10:27
Rainbows? Hearts? Strange Isometric Boxes? This must be the start of a revolution!

…or not.

To be honest with you, I've had it up to here with "innovations" of any kind. I'll admit, this is awesome and looks very promising, but that's exactly what I said about the Wii. You know… around the time they were still planning actual games to play on the Wii. Don't even get me started on the PS3. Biggest fscking waste of time. EVER. I don't mean to dash your dreams, but just you watch: It's necessity to have linux, already makes it little more than a laptop with a gamepad built into it. Even if it's a special version of Linux.

[spoiler=If you ask me…]Get a netbook for about the same price at a Staples, buy a $10 XBOX controller from your local Family Dollar, or similar Conveniece/Grocery Store, or just K-mart. Buy a $3 USB cable from the same store, and splice the two together.

Just like I did. The Acer Aspire One supports up to N64 and PSone Emulation, and easily runs low end PC games. The only thing you sacrafice is a disk drive.[/spoiler]

If you don't like it then ignore me, I just wanted to express my opinion.

As it happens, my DS does most of this through homebrew.

Date: 2009-06-17 10:13:25

Rainbows? Hearts? Strange Isometric Boxes? This must be the start of a revolution!

…or not.

To be honest with you, I've had it up to here with "innovations" of any kind. I'll admit, this is awesome and looks very promising, but that's exactly what I said about the Wii. You know… around the time they were still planning actual games to play on the Wii. Don't even get me started on the PS3. Biggest fscking waste of time. EVER. I don't mean to dash your dreams, but just you watch: It's necessity to have linux, already makes it little more than a laptop with a gamepad built into it. Even if it's a special version of Linux.

[spoiler=If you ask me…]Get a netbook for about the same price at a Staples, buy a $10 XBOX controller from your local Family Dollar, or similar Conveniece/Grocery Store, or just K-mart. Buy a $3 USB cable from the same store, and splice the two together.

Just like I did. The Acer Aspire One supports up to N64 and PSone Emulation, and easily runs low end PC games. The only thing you sacrafice is a disk drive.[/spoiler]

If you don't like it then ignore me, I just wanted to express my opinion.

As it happens, my DS does most of this through homebrew.

The Pandora is going to have very few dedicated games;  it is going to be used mostly for emulation (and as a UMPC).

Posted by: Ghostsanora
Date: 2009-06-17 19:00:36
Part of my point. While I'll admit, looking at it again, it is a pretty small system with all of that packed into it, I still don't think it's worth the time. A netbook is cheaper, duffel bag small, and a lot more powerful. And the DS homebrew scene (costing anywhere from $30 to $250 depending on what you want and whether or not you own a DS) has some sort of emulator for anything with 16-bit graphics, not to mention some 32-bit arcade systems. There are even programs dediated to the simple creation of homebrew games on the DS.

EDIT 3-1-10: I'm actually planning to order a Pandora now. I feel like a hypocrite and a jerk.