Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games Discussion

Zelda speedruns - Page 1

Zelda speedruns

Posted by: Adam glitch
Date: 2010-12-08 12:49:41
Throughout the years, many of the zelda games have been worked on to find glitches to ultimately use in a speedrun to get the fastest time ever at a game. There are some extremely impressive times for games that, without glitches, could take over 10x the amount of time to complete. Some games use a series of glitches strung together to speed up the game (such as Majora's Mask), some have lots of glitches, but rely on one rather large glitch to skip the majority of the game (such as the RBA trick in Ocarina of Time) and others use screen warping to quickly get into boss areas and complete the game (Link's awakening and A Link to the Past). If you've played them, then remember back to the time when you spent days, sometimes months completing these games. And then look at the times that these games have been completed in by exploiting glitches, large and small, and knowing the exact route to take for the fastest outcome. These were all TASed and are the current world records for these games:

Ocarina of time: 56 minutes
Majora's mask: 1 hour, 29 minutes.
Link's Awakening: 3 minutes 40 seconds
A Link to the past: 3 minutes 44 seconds.

These incredible times for these games are the result of years of glitch hunting finding, and game practicing.

More tricks are constantly being found and OoT and MM TASes are always finding new tricks to speed up completing the game. I have not included some of the other games that have good timesavers in (like Twilight princess) because I only checked on the times for the most impressive/worked on games.

Re: Zelda speedruns

Posted by: Glitch Hunter
Date: 2010-12-09 11:25:12

Ocarina of time: 56 minutes
Majora's mask: 1 hour, 29 minutes.
Link's Awakening: 3 minutes 40 seconds
A Link to the past: 3 minutes 44 seconds.

I'm in awe of that Majora's mask one. I love the game to pieces but my best time was 5 hours, 3 minutes and 23 seconds :'(