Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games Discussion

Nintendo Power - Page 1

Nintendo Power

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2012-12-21 04:13:30
I started subscribing to Nintendo Power when I was 6 years old. It was what first got me full on into video games, Nintendo, and, indirectly, Pokemon, besides the old Nintendo 64 at the day-care I used to go to.

I still remember the first issue that came in the mail. It featured Luigi on the cover, and the background was a Gamecube. Not coincidentally, Luigi's Mansion and a Gamecube were the first things I went out to buy (or, due to my age, my parents bought) for myself.

I remember, when I first was introduced to Nintendo Power, it was through a guide for Super Mario World Advance. I didn't really understand the concept of it. I thought it was like a pill "Get the Power! Nintendo Power!" that would be taken monthly to gain an edge on a computer or difficult opponent. I thought it'd be a drug to make your fingers move faster or your reaction time quicker or something like that.

Though I was wrong, it was one of the only times where I was glad I was wrong.

Nintendo Power brought me knowledge of products that I enjoyed that I wouldn't have been able to discover without its help. Games like "Little King's Story" or "Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg" were all presented to me through Nintendo Power. All games that I typically wouldn't be exposed to, Nintendo Power broadened my narrowed, Mario-centric view on gaming. I first got interested in Resident Evil due to a review I saw in Nintendo Power.

I missed out on the glory days of the magazine. I was beyond the time where Nester Comics would grace themselves into not only issues, but the hearts of readers. I missed out on where Nintendo Power was purely game tips and tricks and hints and not a cluttered mess of advertisements and interviews. You could say that I missed out on the "glory days" of Nintendo Power, where you could call a tip line and get help with your latest NES or SNES game.

However, while I did miss out, what I experienced was still special. From the writing and the sheer creativity in presentation, you could see that everyone at that magazine loved what they did. Even despite people "Hassling the Hoff", everyone enjoyed what they did and it showed through the product they made. It was a fine balance of facts and entertainment, and that struck me as a kid and stayed with me throughout Nintendo Power's lifespan.

I don't have the last issue, which is painful for me, as, having over 100 others, not having the issue to close out my time with Nintendo Power really hurts. But, from what I saw on Reddit, Nester made an appearance. Despite not having the issue, I can now say that I read a Nester Comic in its entirety, and it really gave me a sense of what this magazine meant to some older than me. People who grew up with Nintendo Power now saw something that probably was with them throughout their childhood come to an end.

I can relate to their feelings, maybe not on their level, but I still feel the same amount of sadness and gratitude that they, the lifelong subscribers, feel.

Thanks for the memories, Nintendo Power.

Re: Nintendo Power

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2012-12-21 07:22:09
Nintendo Power wasn't published in my country, though its a shame to hear that Nintendo ceased to renew their contract with Future Publishing.

I bought one issue on eBay for its coverage on a certain game, and I feel it was way better content-wise than the UK's Nintendo Official Magazine.

I missed out on the glory days of the magazine. I was beyond the time where Nester Comics would grace themselves into not only issues, but the hearts of readers. I missed out on where Nintendo Power was purely game tips and tricks and hints and not a cluttered mess of advertisements and interviews. You could say that I missed out on the "glory days" of Nintendo Power, where you could call a tip line and get help with your latest NES or SNES game.

However, while I did miss out, what I experienced was still special. From the writing and the sheer creativity in presentation, you could see that everyone at that magazine loved what they did. Even despite people "Hassling the Hoff", everyone enjoyed what they did and it showed through the product they made. It was a fine balance of facts and entertainment, and that struck me as a kid and stayed with me throughout Nintendo Power's lifespan.

I've heard that the early issues of Nintendo Power were really great. Before the Internet was as widespread it must have been really great to just read through the magazine for tips and tricks for a certain game.

Have you watched this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=eegQI9WM6mk

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2012-12-21 18:25:37
I was also really sad to hear about the end of Nintendo Power. I knew it was going to happen eventually though. Thinking about it, it sucks for the people who have written/worked for NP for years. What are they gonna do now?

http://tinycartridge.com/post/37405366996/heres-one-last-nester-comic-to-close-out-nintendo
This is what killed it for me.
The NP Editorial was my favorite part, along with the fan content section, and some of the reviews. And if they happened to cover a game I like, it made it ten times better. :)

I've heard that the early issues of Nintendo Power were really great. Before the Internet was as widespread it must have been really great to just read through the magazine for tips and tricks for a certain game.

^ This.

Date: 2012-12-22 03:24:15

Have you watched this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=eegQI9WM6mk

I have seen that. It's part of the reason why I know how heralded Nintendo Power was back in its hayday, probably, like you mentioned, because of the lack of internet and game guides out there to help. It was literally the only way to get help.

I was also really sad to hear about the end of Nintendo Power. I knew it was going to happen eventually though. Thinking about it, it sucks for the people who have written/worked for NP for years. What are they gonna do now?

Well, Hoffman and Thomason aren't doing anything of interest. It still lists their job occupations on Twitter as "former Nintendo Power writer". They'll probably be picked up by someone, I bet. You don't just lose your job and then never get another, similar job, with as much experience as those two have.

Date: 2012-12-22 13:23:56

Well, Hoffman and Thomason aren't doing anything of interest. It still lists their job occupations on Twitter as "former Nintendo Power writer". They'll probably be picked up by someone, I bet. You don't just lose your job and then never get another, similar job, with as much experience as those two have.

Well yeah obviously they're going to get another job, but who knows if it'll live up to what they've been doing for the past couple years? Working for Nintendo must be amazing, who wouldn't want to write about video games?

Date: 2012-12-22 15:04:35
True. I just hope they don't end up writing for like, an Xbox magazine or a PS3 magazine, as my interest level in those two consoles are, on a scale of 1-10, 0.
I really enjoyed their writing. Maybe they'll end up starting their own magazine that focuses on Nintendo products, sort of like Nintendo Power, except not Nintendo Power exactly. Something to do with Nintendo though. That'd be nice.

Date: 2012-12-23 23:48:38

True. I just hope they don't end up writing for like, an Xbox magazine or a PS3 magazine, as my interest level in those two consoles are, on a scale of 1-10, 0.
I really enjoyed their writing. Maybe they'll end up starting their own magazine that focuses on Nintendo products, sort of like Nintendo Power, except not Nintendo Power exactly. Something to do with Nintendo though. That'd be nice.

I doubt they'd turn to them, that's just my feeling. A spinoff of NT would be nice but who knows if they have the money/would it be worth it, and if Nintendo lets them? I'm sure not just anyone can go around talking about their stuff.

Date: 2012-12-24 02:16:20
Maybe they'll catch a job on with G4 or IGN or a company like that and write mainly about Nintendo. That's, in my opinion, the most likely thing to happen.

Date: 2012-12-24 09:30:49

Maybe they'll catch a job on with G4 or IGN or a company like that and write mainly about Nintendo. That's, in my opinion, the most likely thing to happen.

Yeah I could see that. I wish the best for them though, they dedicated a chunk of their life to NP haha.

Date: 2012-12-24 14:25:11

they dedicated a chunk of their life to NP haha.

Not only Nintendo Power, but Nintendo as well.
They had to play all the games they reviewed through. Livin' the dream!