Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games Discussion

Arbitrary code execution in Red/Blue, taken to extremes at ADGQ 2015 - Page 1

Arbitrary code execution in Red/Blue, taken to extremes at ADGQ 2015

Posted by: xparasite9
Date: 2015-01-09 21:45:18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bb4Gg_jQvY

I find this mildly amusing

Re: Arbitrary code execution in Red/Blue, taken to extremes at ADGQ 2015

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-01-10 07:39:53
PokémonPlaysTwitch. Wow.

Posted by: Kraust
Date: 2015-01-10 09:14:29
Kinda pisses me off that a private group of people did this rather than GCL.
I mean this is basically why I read these boards, rather than the new age people who do things for money or whatever.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-01-10 10:32:39
I share a bit of your frustration. I rarely do see a thorough explanation of how things are done, but instead things seem to be taken underground maybe in Skype groups not open to the general public etc., or kept secret, or documented on a page that is unlikely to be found.

This is less of a problem now with the Pokémon Speedrun Wiki acting as a reference for Pokémon routes and the mechanics of glitches relevant to speedrunning, but I don't know if it covers total control hack things.

I don't like to see things become open only to those people in specialized groups. I have taken some of the tricks that only 'some people' know and made videos of them and it helped the general public learn about them. Adding 'obscure' glitches to Bulbapedia also helps greatly. Once this wiki is much more developed I'd like us to affiliate with Bulbapedia, and it would be cool if every glitch article had a small box that says "Glitch City Laboratories also have an article about Missingno.", etc. I don't know what the staff would feel about that though.

The dokokashira door glitch used to be one of these 'obscure glitches' for the English community back in 2006 (the select glitch itself wasn't well known too, though I saw discussion of it on Azure Heights), but now many people know about it. The mechanics of planning a route also weren't well documented, so I documented them.

Posted by: Vuroja5
Date: 2015-01-12 03:28:25
The TAS-bot segment is organised by the TASVideos community, and was discussed on their forum here: http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15787. (I haven't read through the thread so not sure how much they reveal in it!)

Posted by: xparasite9
Date: 2015-01-12 14:05:40
As I suspected they broke out of Red into SGB and broke out of SGB into full control of SNES.
Neat I guess