Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games Discussion

YOU'RE A KID NOW YOU'RE A SQUID NOW YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID YOU'RE A KID - Page 1

YOU'RE A KID NOW YOU'RE A SQUID NOW YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID YOU'RE A KID

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2015-06-05 07:46:14
So yeah, I purchased Splatoon. If anyone from Nintendo asks, it's because of that picture on Reddit where someone jizzed all over the girl Amiibo. That's not actually the case (it was because of the dank maymays), but I don't want them to start cracking down on that stuff because it's hilarious. They should team up with the rest of the cumming on figurines guys to form a new marketing strategy.

All shitting while giggling aside, it's actually a pretty fun game. The default controls are maxim potato (because they involve flipping around the Wii U Gamepad like a fucking tool), but you can change that shit to use the more sensible right stick. It's reasonably easy to learn, though actually progressing is a bitch because you start at level 1 and right now (I understand the August patch will fix this) there's no matchmaking so you can be up against some level 10-14 dudes or whatever who will fuck you in the face with their weapons that you're not allowed to buy because fuck you (these shopkeepers are worse than the ones in Kalos). But if you figure out what you're doing (protip: Play defensively to start off with until you can upgrade stuff) it's not so bad. The game almost tries to discourage you from playing the single-player mode, going so far as to have the in-game guide you around disembodied text tell you that the the guy you have to talk to to do missions is some crazy homeless guy who smells. Once you realise that this game does actually have single-player, it's pretty fun, almost introduces a puzzle platforming element to the third-person tactical shootery (but not much). Those boss battles are deceptively challenging though (at least the one I've fought), but Nintendo has moved on from their "you died fuck you back to beginning" stage, so you can just go in and have fun and enjoy yourself until you win or you give up.
The main aspect of the game is fucking cash either way, once the 4v4 with friends patch gets underway in August it might be the next Nintendo national e-sport in the ranks of Porkymans and Smash Bros. Maybe. You can get pretty deep into the strategies here because you have various different weapon types, so it's closer to something like TF2 in terms of balance except with a different equipment system. Something like that. It's a cool game, okay? Just take my word for it. Even the graphics are pretty impressive, I guess that's just coming from back in the days when Nintendo put potato GPUs in all their consoles and you had to hope the gameplay didn't suck to make up for it. Now they both don't suck.

I only got the Inkling Girl amiibo because she's cute. Not in a waifu way, but in a daughteru way. Supposedly they're supposed to give you challenges which give you money for completing them, but I dunno if it's necessarily worth the real life money cost unless you just like figurines.

Also, soundtrack is fucking amazing, can't even hold all these genres. I didn't even know Toru Minegishi can do this punk-rocky type thing (okay, "squidcore"), and the other tracks show a large Hideki Naganuma influence and then there's dat boss battle final phase theme. Physical CD when?

[size=20pt]Final score: Like Super Mario Sunshine with guns / 10 – Machinima [/size]

Re: YOU'RE A KID NOW YOU'RE A SQUID NOW YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID YOU'RE A KID

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2015-06-05 08:19:03
I've been thinking of getting Splatoon, but given that I'm not putting my Wii U online because it might auto-update (my Wii U is delightfully on the last firmware (5.1.0) with a browser exploit, and I got it that way (yay for preowned stuff))…