Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games Discussion

3DS Homebrew Launcher - Page 1

3DS Homebrew Launcher

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2015-08-25 19:25:15
Recently, a 3DS exploit involving the 3DS YouTube app was released by Smealum, allowing the user of the exploit to run homebrew software on their 3DS/New 3DS. As of now, the selection of homebrew is small, but extremely helpful. Homebrew applications, at the time of writing, include a Minecraft clone, emulators for NES, SNES, and Gameboy, along with FTP file hosting and other useful tools.

Having downloaded and used the exploit myself, I can say that (and even though I sound like a canned review right now) the release of the Homebrew Launcher to the public will have a dramatic affect on the amount of homebrew applications available to the public. Basically, now that an exploit involving a commonly-installed app (YouTube) has been released to the public, I fully expect 3DS Homebrew to blow up in a few months time.

A tutorial on how to install the 3DS Homebrew Launcher and applications can be found here: https://smealum.github.io/3ds/

This is not been a paid advertisement.

Re: 3DS Homebrew Launcher

Posted by: Tsukuu
Date: 2015-08-25 19:48:16
Yeah I posted back when people had to download Ironfall but it was just a post so some people may have missed, sadly it was taken down from the eShop (it's better when you have it because you can use Youtube to install the offline launcher).

List of all 3DS homebrew, but only the ones with .3dsx are available and everything related to CFW or installing CIAs are a no-no since unlike Ninjhax 1.0 this does not have kernel access.

Smea is going to release TVDS, which is a program to import/export saves, and allow us to gen again. Though it'll also allow editing stuff on PokéShuffle/Rumble so I'm afraid this may trigger an update/fix. No ETA for release yet.

As of now, the main things you can do is:
- Use emulators (I just tested SNES so far, but from reports, GBA seems to run slow)
- Custom themes (using this one right now :) )
- Edit play coins (not sure if actually works in this version)
- Access your sdcard via FTP (useful for installing apps, and will be a lot helpful when TVDS comes out)
- Play some random minigames on that page

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2015-08-26 09:39:19
Too bad I have no sd card access at the moment :( I still have the Tubehax and Ironfall downloaded :)

Date: 2015-08-26 10:14:02

Too bad I have no sd card access at the moment :( I still have the Tubehax and Ironfall downloaded :)

Well you kinda just need a reader once to put the starter kit/boot.3dsx, because the next times you can just use the built-in FTP program. :) As long as your computer and 3DS are connected to the same router, it should work.

Date: 2015-08-26 20:19:12
What reader?

Date: 2015-08-26 20:26:54
Sdcard reader.

Posted by: MidnightNinetales
Date: 2015-08-27 03:18:36

Smea is going to release TVDS, which is a program to import/export saves, and allow us to gen again. Though it'll also allow editing stuff on PokéShuffle/Rumble so I'm afraid this may trigger an update/fix. No ETA for release yet.

It sounds cool and all, but it seems pretty rude that lots of people keep pestering him about it. Is waiting such a big deal? The Homebrew Launcher isn't going anywhere. Well, unless you update your 3DS.

[size=5pt](Why am I still awake…)[/size]

Date: 2015-08-27 07:32:07

It sounds cool and all, but it seems pretty rude that lots of people keep pestering him about it. Is waiting such a big deal? The Homebrew Launcher isn't going anywhere. Well, unless you update your 3DS.

A question, can't they force a game update?

Date: 2015-08-27 08:30:56

I personally am not rushed about it (I don't even play pokémon actively anymore), but the communities I go at are just rushed to pokégen again (the ones that updated). But the main thing is that Smea got kinda infamous for constantly delaying stuff so people call him attention-whore, etc. But yeah I don't agree with bashing him, people should be more grateful.

A question, can't they force a game update?

Technically they can't force, but they can "force" like they did with pokémon X/Y and OR/AS releasing an nearly empty update just to force you to download it in order to play online, and since you can't download anything from eShop unless you're with the latest firmware (you can't spoof if you're above 9.2), you'll be locked out from online until you update everything. But if you don't really care about playing online (there's also other games, but I think only Smash is constantly updated to this day), you don't have to worry.

Date: 2015-08-31 23:59:12
Some bad news and some good news regarding TDVS.
https://twitter.com/smealum/status/638542089014284288
https://twitter.com/smealum/status/638542144823689217
https://twitter.com/smealum/status/638542169024819200

Date: 2015-09-01 00:40:06
Someone actually released a tool to backup/restore savefiles this Saturday on 4chan, but it's only starting to spread now, not sure if Smea if aware of it.

Here's a tutorial made recently on reddit. If your game is digital (not 100% sure that it doesn't apply to physical as well), never try to restore an old save or else your game will refuse to load it. If you ever save in-game, re-dump if you want to edit stuff.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2015-09-01 01:00:51
Pawny, is there a tutorial or anything like that that you used in order to install/create a custom theme? I'd love to do something like that and get rid of my stock theme, but I haven't had much success.

Date: 2015-09-01 09:09:27

Pawny, is there a tutorial or anything like that that you used in order to install/create a custom theme? I'd love to do something like that and get rid of my stock theme, but I haven't had much success.

There are videos around, but they almost all use 3ds_extdata_tool which I find harder to use. This video uses CHMM which is VERY easy.

People upload custom themes here: http://www.3dsthemes.com/

Custom Home Menu Manager (CHMM): This is my favorite tool to install themes since it's extremely straightforward and you can hold as many themes as you want

YATA+: great theme maker/editor

Easy instructions:
1. Download CHMM and put it in the '3ds" folder (the CHMM folder must be named 'CHMM', should look like ..\3ds\CHMM\CHMM.3dsx, feel free to ignore/remove the .cia and .3ds files and the empty 'Themes' folder).
2. Download a theme (or themes) you like from the site and extract it/them.
3. Create a folder named 'Themes' on your 3DS' sdcard root and put your theme(s) in subfolders (eg. ..\Themes\themeA\body_LZ.bin and bgm.bcstm, etc, don't be confused by the 'Themes' folder that came in the CHMM package).
4. Every time before applying a theme, put a plain color theme (I'm not entirely sure if this is necessary, but the second time I was going to install a theme I got an error, and when I do this I never got any errors).
5. Open CHMM in the Launcher, select your theme on the list and press A. After it's done installing press start to leave and then you can restart your 3DS with start+A)

As for making your own themes, try your luck on YATA+ I guess, I never edited/made any theme myself. I also don't know how to deal with bcstm files and loops, but someone recommended to download premade ones from here, though they can't exceed 3.3MBs so you'd need to edit them somehow if they do.

I also recommend opening the themes you download on YATA+ before installing them just to preview or make sure it's not corrupted since anyone can upload stuff there.

Date: 2015-09-01 10:02:13
I found a tutorial for YATA+.