Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games Discussion

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread - Page 1

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2016-10-21 17:42:18
With the reveal of Nintendo's new home/portable console Hybrid, the Switch (reveal trailer can be seen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI, a new era in gaming will certainly be ushered in in only a few short months.

For me, the console poses two major questions -

We already know that the console will be the successor to the Wii U, but what about the 3DS? As a home/portable console, I'd have to imagine that Nintendo is planning that the Switch will be the successor to both consoles - why would any developer bother making a game for a strictly portable console (the 3DS), when they can put the same resources into making a game on the Switch, where the same game can be played both on-the-go and at home, on a TV.

What will the backwards compatibility function like? We already know that Wii U games and Wii games will not be compatible with the Switch, but I'd have to imagine Nintendo would include some way (i.e. Virtual Console) to transfer some Wii U treasures over to the Switch. What about Wii U and Wii accessories, like the Pro Controller, Gamepad, and Wiimote? Will those be compatible with the Switch or not? We could be looking at Nintendo entirely throwing out the "innovations" they've made over the past few years with the Wii and Wii U and going back to basics with the Switch - something I think is entirely needed.

Anyway, Switch discussion thread. Prepare your hype accordingly.

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread

Posted by: Max
Date: 2016-10-24 09:15:39
The console does look pretty cool. In terms of hardware I'm sure Nintendo has packed some great stuff (as they always do). I don't see it being a successor to the 3DS unless there is mention of 3D.

In fact the main innovation with this console, judging by the sole trailer, seems to be the hybrid between a home and portable console. I did see a few existing games on the trailer like Splatoon and the basketball game. It may be that existing games for the Wii U can be recompiled for the Nintendo Switch with little to no effort by the developers.

[size=8pt]Your link is slightly broken. Here is another link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI[/size]

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2016-10-24 17:03:34

The console does look pretty cool. In terms of hardware I'm sure Nintendo has packed some great stuff (as they always do). I don't see it being a successor to the 3DS unless there is mention of 3D.

I think just based on the fact that it's portable would make it the successor to the 3DS, 3D or no 3D.

In my view, Nintendo sees that the mobile gaming market is being eaten by phones. While the 3DS has been successful, phone games are rapidly improving in quality and quantity (they're much easier to pick up and play and much, much cheaper, as well) - plus, I don't think Nintendo would want to support two portable consoles on the market at the same time. They'd just create unnecessary competition for themselves.