Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games Discussion

Favourite Super Smash Bros. game? - Page 1

Favourite Super Smash Bros. game?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-12-08 05:07:07
What are our favourite Super Smash Bros. games and how would we rank them best to worse?

Mine go like this:

1. Super Smash Bros. Melee
2. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
3. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (I know there's a lot of things to do but have got the most pleasure out of the smaller 3DS version)
4. Super Smash Bros. (Nintendo 64)
5. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Although my favourite game in terms of how it feels is Melee, I really love how Smash 4 has so many characters, music, stages, Assist Trophies, items and so on.

Re: Favourite Super Smash Bros. game?

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2017-12-27 16:02:49
As great a time-waster as the new games are, they just feel too defense-oriented. Shields are too durable, too many characters have counters, and I'm all but drowning in items whenever I turn them on. None of the moves feel like they have any "oomf!" to them; it's like hitting a baseball with a bat made out of Nerf. Brawl had this problem, too, along with feeling too… airy? Brawl and SSB4 both feel like they encourage distance.

Melee and 64 don't have these problems, items notwithstanding, and I agree with you when you say it has the best feel of them all. My list would probably look the same as yours, but I haven't played the Wii U version.

Posted by: Pokedude
Date: 2018-01-08 13:29:41
Turn your item release down a bit in options. I
I play the WiiU one a lot because the only other one I own is brawl and I lent that one to my friend so I'd have to say WiiU. Also I like how in WiiU you can still play it online. I hate people who are mean online though.

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2018-01-09 06:49:07
>too many item drops
Download 20XX
Go into debug menu
Set drop rate to Instant
Turn on all items
Go into stage
Enjoy 5 seconds of play time

Posted by: Nostalgia
Date: 2018-01-09 10:09:21
I only played the first three games, but Melee is by far my favourite and a top 5 game of all time for me. It's just the most fast-paced and competitive with the best fighting physics. My favourite characters in Melee were: Falco and Sheik.

Brawl isn't a bad game though, the physics are worse in brawl, and Meta Knight is OP character, but other then that the game offers a load of variety of characters and good stages and non-Meta Knight games are still fun to play. My favourite characters in brawl were: Falco, Wario and King Dedede.

Super smash bros N64 is a okay game, but suffers from a severe lack of playable characters and stages kind of limiting it's replay value. My favourite characters in the N64 version were: Fox and Mario.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2018-01-19 07:45:03
As a competitive Smash 4 player I'm gonna have to say Smash 4, of course. But as a player of games I also found the single player disappointing, and I'm tossed up between Melee or Brawl there.

I could never get the hang of Smash 64 though, it's just ehhhh

Smash attacks are way too hard to do, maybe the Wii VC version is better, I'll have to try it. Oh wait, they're closing down the Wii eShop. Balls.

Date: 2018-01-19 20:07:32
maybe the Wii VC version is better, I'll have to try it. Oh wait, they're closing down the Wii eShop. Balls.
it's not like there's a good N64 emulator for Wii or anything… that'd be too convenient.

Date: 2018-01-24 00:46:52

maybe the Wii VC version is better, I'll have to try it. Oh wait, they're closing down the Wii eShop. Balls.
it's not like there's a good N64 emulator for Wii or anything… that'd be too convenient.

I can only imagine you're being sarcastic, but yeah, if I used Not64 I'd still have the weird controls. Also I do actually prefer the Virtual Console releases of stuff anyway.

Date: 2018-01-24 20:16:35

I can only imagine you're being sarcastic, but yeah, if I used Not64 I'd still have the weird controls. Also I do actually prefer the Virtual Console releases of stuff anyway.
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii64
It's really good tbh. Full GC control support too.

Date: 2018-01-24 21:12:47

Bam, and the point is missed.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2018-01-24 22:40:27
Items max.
Random stage.

The only way to play.

Date: 2018-01-25 01:38:15
My further nuanced opinion on Smash Bros 64 is that it's sort of like Pokemon gen 1.

It's the first in a series which was rather experimental in nature (at the time, even if we're used to it by now), and so it's just got this weird feeling to it and a lot of questionable design choices, because it was just a "hey this might be a neat idea" thing and so they don't know how it's going to work out, and it's only in the sequels that they have a better idea of what works and what doesn't and so they're better able to flesh them out.

But if you see it in the context of how video games were at the time, and if you compare a lot of the games intended to be that sub-genre that they accidentally created, you start appreciating them a whole lot more.

Basically, I'd rather play Smash Bros 64 than Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion. I'd also rather play it than Street Fighter 2 personally, because I like the fact that I don't have to learn 50 different button combinations for every character and whatnot.

As for why I can't seem to pull off Smash attacks consistently, well, I am using a real N64 controller with the Raphnet raw plugin, so I figure it must be just like that. Maybe it's just different than how it works in later games but otherwise it's fine, I don't know. I'd still rather play the Virtual Console version than an unofficial emulator on the Wii because I do actually like paying for things when I can. It also means I can judge the game since it's an official release, and not the emulator. [size=1pt]I bet Parzival will continue to miss the point again.[/size]

Going back to the actual point of the thread, I still prefer the other games either way, because I just like the mechanics and gameplay elements and whatnot more. I'm inclined to prefer Brawl over Melee because I actually prefer a mindgame-based metagame instead of mindlessly grinding until I can mindlessly drillshine the opponent over and over. I like Melee's audio and visual style more though, I remember the first time I played Brawl at a friend's house the first thing I thought was that it's harder to tell what's going on. It sorta tries too hard to be realistic and so the characters aren't as visually distinct from the background.

Date: 2018-01-25 06:34:22

Bam, and the point is missed.
r/wooosh MVP right here

Posted by: Pokedude
Date: 2018-01-27 11:55:59
Don't forget that technically 3DS and WiiU are different.

Date: 2018-01-27 21:01:19
Minorly different. I feel like it just comes down to whether you like the 3DS or Wii U more, or if you're a hardcore player and so really need the Gamecube controller support and that sort of thing.

I mean, I appreciate the expanded features of the Wii U version, but also fuck Smash Tour (I actually grew fond of Smash Run eventually for grinding custom moves), and the Wii U is the only console I've owned that's just straight up died on me so I'm kinda bitter about that, and it also leaves me no choice but to play the 3DS version these days.

I'd still say I prefer the Wii U version to the 3DS version overall, but ehhh