Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games Discussion

Lost in Thoughts All Alone song reflections (warning: thought provoking) - Page 1

Lost in Thoughts All Alone song reflections (warning: thought provoking)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-12-20 15:14:08
I love the complexity of this beautiful Fire Emblem Fates song. Please note that I haven't played the game so these are 'blind' reflections (meaning I don't have background knowledge of what they could be about) and I view these thoughts from how I understand them rather than what I think they are actually about.

You are the oceans gray waves
Destined to seek
Life beyond the shore
Just out of reach

;We look to the bright side in life, perfection in happiness (as life beyond the shore illustrates)

Yet the waters ever change
Flowing like time
The path is yours to climb

;But in reality life is hard, like vicious tides we always encounter conflict.
;In order to live it we have to fight against the tide. And it flows like time because things are constantly changing, not always happy not always sad.

In the white light
A hand reaches through
A double-edged blade cuts your heart in two
Waking dreams fade away
Embrace the brand new day

;Then in sad times when we reach for our comfort and hope. (Sometimes but not always) the truth is hurtful to realise. For example the American Dream. If you work hard you'll be rewarded, but some argue in reality its often more about who you know than what you know.
;Hence our dreams fade away, we become more grounded and have to be grateful for what time gives us. Night time: end of day. Day time: Beginning of new day with renewed hope for wellness.

Sing with me a song
Of birthrights and love
The light scatters to the sky above
Dawn breaks through the gloom
White as a bone

;We often develop interests of value to us, but in truth is life really about love.
;And in any time of gloom we can realize the bright side. Our bubble of negativity dissolves.
;White as a bone is interesting however, because bone in one view sounds like a gloomy thing and not a positive thing. However sometimes the things that matter the most are the most grounded; the skeleton, food, drink, fundamental needs being of most importance to us and not sugar coated things.

Lost in thoughts, all alone

;I feel sympathy for the singer as I relate myself. We never know what life is about really.

Destined to seek
Life beyond the shore
Just out of reach

Flowing like time

Embrace the dark,
You call a home.
Gaze upon an empty white throne,
A legacy of lies,
A familiar disguise.

;I think this is a popular theme in general. We find comfort in human associated things. Security, and though stigmatized by the shadow side (the animal side we want to suppress): money, power. The throne is associated with wealth, and being white is painted with all things that are pure, but in actuality it can be argued as a lie. In Christianity the Devil is also depicted as manipulative.

Sing with me a song
of conquests and fates
The black pillar cracks
beneath its weight.
Night breaks through the day
Hard as a stone

;Life is full of achievements and we reach our fates. In doing so we build character and a sense of self. I don't have an idea regarding the second part though except I get ideas of comforts (held up by the pillar) being broken and we face the bitter reality of life without a home.

Lost in thoughts, all alone

The path you walk on belongs to destiny
Just let it flow
All of your joy and your pain all fall like the tide
Just let it flow

;In life a good strategy is that you have to face what comes with the faith it's for the greater good. In embracing all of our emotions and drives they will naturally fade and reappear and the sense of resistance goes away.

Life is not just filled with happiness
Nor sorrow
Even the thorn in your heart
In time it may become
A rose

;I personally feel this is very true. Life is not that much defined by our emotions but rather our principles, strength of conviction, soul, heart.
;The very thing you fear may eventually become love. Also the phrase in context of war "Yesterday's enemy is today's friend"; to mean that things aren't black and white/good and bad; there is moral ambiguity.

A burdened heart,
Sinks into the ground
A veil falls away without a sound
Not day nor night, wrong nor right
For truth and peace you fight

;While you fight for your cause, somebody else will perish with a burdened heart. Yet the very thing you're fighting for is truth and peace. (Love and war actually have many things in common as counter-intuitive as this may sound: they both fight for what is seen as 'right')

Sing with me a song
Of silence and blood
The rain falls but
Cant wash away the mud
Within my ancient heart dwells madness and pride
Can no one hear my cry?

;Warfare while starting out from an ideal is cold and vicious. Its grim and people die. I feel what it is saying is it makes you wonder whether you are 'mad' to start or fight in the war, and deep down the reason could be related to an issue of pride. The singer may be viewed as seeing this, but nobody notices it because they are too caught up in the war (also 'won the battle but lost the war').

Destined to seek life beyond the shore
Just out of reach
Flowing like time

Re: Lost in Thoughts All Alone song reflections (warning: thought provoking)

Posted by: Delgadonut
Date: 2018-04-16 23:45:46
It's a really good song. It stimulates me a lot. It helped me to continue fighting.

Re: Lost in Thoughts All Alone song reflections (warning: thought provoking)

Posted by: Pokedude
Date: 2018-07-16 11:58:54
…It's so … Inspiring…. It gives me….
DETERMINATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Undertale pun intended)
But no really I love it a lot.