Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games Discussion

Mario & Luigi series - Page 1

Mario & Luigi series

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-12-27 11:43:53
I got Mario & Luigi: SuperStar Saga & Bowser's Minions for Christmas, did anyone else here also like the original or other games in the series?

Re: Mario & Luigi series

Posted by: hpoké_coloradohugge
Date: 2017-12-27 15:35:26
I've played all of them exept for Paper Jam and i have always liked them alot. It's really great to have such interaction in an rpg game with all the dodges and jumping and blocking and everything and i've always seen them as great starting point for people not familiar with RPG's!

So i have alot of respect and fond memories from them!

(I actually think Bowser's Inside Story (the 3rd one) on DS is my favorite!)

=D

Date: 2017-12-27 15:41:51
Yeah, me too! :) I think the same way re: the interaction.

The one I enjoyed the most is Dream Team I think, but I really like Superstar Saga and Partners in Time too. Superstar Saga and Bowser's Minions has given me some great nostalgic feelings so far.

I don't know if as many people have Dream Team as their favourite compared to Bowser's Inside Story.

I quite like Fawful's humour and way of speaking.

What's your favourite part of the games? For me probably exploring Oho Oasis in Superstar Saga.

Posted by: hpoké_coloradohugge
Date: 2017-12-27 20:04:58
Yeah definetly, there's some really good writing in the games; clever dialogoue and simple and playful story with a great sence of progression.

I still enjoyed Dream Team alot tho; i think it was a very pleasant mix of RPG exploration and Side-scrolling (inside the dreams). =)

I just think they did a good job with all of them and i might still like Mario & Luigi games better than the Paper Mario ones which is usually the more popular options when people talk about great Mario RPG games.

:D

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-01-05 02:27:17
I played all of them, though to different extents.

Let's be clear : Superstar Saga DX is a BAD remake. You'd be better playing the GBA version, as lacking of pixels as it is.
With that out of the way.

I played a small chunk of Superstar Saga on my 3DS (using CFW), and I really like it so far, although it promises much more.

I finished Partners in Time, and honestly it's a really good game. Bosses, music, ambience, everything. It's got everything. I wasn't such a big fan of that ambience, with the gloomy and dark story, but I have to admit it's great, and man. Luigi saved 'em all.

I really, really enjoyed Bowser's Inside Story, although I've heard it being tossed aside in favor of PiT. Oh well. The bosses are of the classical tactical kind with the bros, but with Bowser, you're much more into packing the biggest punches you can until, well… lol.

Dream Team… no. It's bad. Using sprites on the DS ? Ok. Using sprites on the 3DS ? Ok… but give them more directions, this is a circle pad, dammit ! That's the point of 3D models, they can be animated fluidly… at least keep up with that… oh well. The music was average, or below, though there are some very good pieces. The gameplay is not particularly interesting, and the story… I find it rather plain.

Paper Jam Bros. was a *blast* to play. I love Paper Mario, and I really liked this cross-over, also for its irony with itself and the M&L franchise. The fourth wall… let's not evoke that late fella xP

Finally, I really don't like Superstar Saga DX. Just compare Come On! from Paper Jam (is real gud), and from SSDX (it's… weirdly extended). Things like that ; they are minor, but really do a disservice to the game.

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2018-01-05 11:41:51
If you're gomna miss the fact that nearly every one of these games can be broken with stupidly easy WTW performed by rocking the DPad/Stick back and forth in a certain spot then your opinion is null and void.

Posted by: Pokedude
Date: 2018-01-09 22:32:23
Hah! I got the 3DS version for Christmas as well! My first one was BewareBowser's Inside Story and that's when I fell in love with it because it was one of my first DS games. I haven't been able to play Luigi's Dream Team or Paper Jam but I did get the Virtual Console Version of SuperStar saga on the WiiU and I want the original copy of it for Game Boy Advanced too. That's my history with Mario and Luigi Series.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2018-01-19 07:39:08
I loved the shit out of Superstar Saga, but Partners in Time disappointed me. In all fairness, it's been a while since I've played it, so I can't remember what it is exactly that bugged me.

At any rate I haven't played any of the more recent games in the series, and the thing is without remembering what it was that I didn't like about Partners in Time, I can't know that I'll like the newer games, because maybe they still have the thing, or maybe they fixed it. Whatever that thing is.

I didn't know Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions was out already, I guess I'll buy it when I have money.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-01-19 14:37:06
Don't. Just… don't buy it. It's a bad remake, honestly.
The musics have not only been remade with a better quality, but also given extra length - which is COMPLETELY different from the rest of the song, and really threw me off.
The graphics upgrade is… rather plain, still using the SAME texture-based engine from Dream Team then Paper Jam. And also the same sprites and a TON of identical animations from Mario and Luigi. Wee. If you wanna see these sprites, I'd recommend instead buying Dream Team (6/10, awfully full of tutorials/speedbumps) or Paper Jam (10/10, rip 4th wall).
The added "Bowser's Minions" crap is basically a shovelware grinding-based mobile game. Unfun and useless.
The game is WAY easier than Superstar Saga due to the features from Paper Jam being ported over. If you like challenge… nnope.
Really, I think it's a better idea to buy the original cartridge off eBay. And a GBA, if you don't have one. It'll cost less, for an experience at least as good.

On the other hand, when you have money, you should DEFINITELY buy Dream Team or Paper Jam.
Paper Jam is made for people who have played Dream Team - a lot of the tutorials are skipped because they are redundant with Dream Team, but you can still check them out in the in-game Guide. IT'S ALSO FEATURING PAPER MARIO, WOOHOOOOOOOOOO
Both Dream Team and Paper Jam have a very enjoyable soundtrack (Paper Jam being the better one imo).

Also, I don't know what bothered you in PiT, but I believe it won't in the later games. Bowser's Inside Story improved a lot, and imo was a "definitive" DS version. They changed quite a lot of things in the 3DS versions, but imo the games are still good.

Posted by: Pokedude
Date: 2018-01-20 09:23:18
I totally forgot PIT! I haven't played it yet but I need to remember to get it when I go Mario and Luigi game hunting. Also its just sort of fun to play Superstar Saga on the 3DS and GBA but you can't complain to much because its kind of supposed to be a placeholder for the next Mario and Luigi game that will probably be on the Switch. Also its good if you have played PIT before Bowser's Inside Story because in it there is a little nod towards PIT in a room in Bowser's Castle.

Date: 2020-03-19 09:42:13
KotoBattle has a song called で . From stem , "to go out". is referred to as volitional form; used for intentions. I gave it the fan name "let's go" theme, a nod to Mario & Luigi but on hindsight it could be a fun coincidence (yet headcanon is good too).