Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games Discussion

What games have you been playing recently? - Page 3

Re: What games have you been playing recently?

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2019-10-15 01:47:36
Bought Super Mario Maker 2 recently. I've been enjoying the Story Mode–professionally-made Mario levels are a timeless treat–but I haven't found a ton of enjoyment out of user-made levels yet. Apparently there's a way to filter levels by type; I'm hoping to figure that out soon so I can play more traditional levels. I don't have much interest in the level editor myself, but maybe I'll play around with that at some point.

Also getting deep back into Minecraft. Building a new village.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-10-15 15:44:01

Bought Super Mario Maker 2 recently. I've been enjoying the Story Mode–professionally-made Mario levels are a timeless treat–but I haven't found a ton of enjoyment out of user-made levels yet. Apparently there's a way to filter levels by type; I'm hoping to figure that out soon so I can play more traditional levels. I don't have much interest in the level editor myself, but maybe I'll play around with that at some point.

Also getting deep back into Minecraft. Building a new village.

Glad you like it. :) Yep they're good levels. I hope you find some, I like the sand bird Super Mario Sunshine recreation one.

Ah, Minecraft. Cool, sounds fun!

Posted by: Netscape128
Date: 2019-11-03 22:56:23
Finished Skyward Sword a few weeks ago, moved on (or back in time) to Twilight Princess.
This all comes at the expense of my BOTW adventure, which I've put on the backburner for probably far too long at this point.

Date: 2019-11-05 00:22:39
Anyone get Luigi's Mansion 3 recently? I've been thinking of picking it up to hold me over until Sword and Shield come out in a few weeks.

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-11-07 08:10:18
Pokémon White, Omega Ruby, and Moon. What for? The Subway, the Maison, and the Battle Tree. The unique challenge posed by the "battle facilities" in all generations is well worth facing, at least to me. I'd stretch back to Emerald and probably will (and maybe even D/P/Pt/HG/SS), but operating three systems at once is already a bit much. ;) Not sure what got me back into it; if it was the head injuries then I'd say they were for the best. :P So satisfying, though, just learning the lead threats to each team I try, the fringe circumstances behind each loss and how to avoid them, the streaks going up to just lose myself in the process, plus the cameos in Moon. They're essentially self-contained metagames, with the twist of fighting AIs working in your favor while the need for absolute perfection creates a new obstacle.

And massive thanks to the crew behind PKSM, because to quote Kaphotics, "'My data is the same as yours, but better.' This is the core of legality arguments." Sword and Shield apparently simplified breeding even further, so there may be less need there. Not re-learning the RNG gauntlets in these games, though, and everything I'm using in Gen 6 and up can be obtained in earlier generations.

Gonna hack my Switch sooner or later to play Gen 8 and other stuff as I cancelled my Shield preorder for reasons unrelated to the game content, but need to put together and mail a few packages to the guy I wanted to consult with about that first. (This isn't a formal endorsement of piracy by site staff; in fact, I may remove it, but most of the talk already about GB/C ROMs is hardly likely to be official copies.)

Date: 2019-11-10 23:08:45
Man, I miss the unique battle facilities of the earlier gens, specifically the Gen 3 Battle Frontier…

I remember having quite an enjoyable run in the Battle Subway and Battle Maison in Pokemon White and Pokemon Omega Ruby, but I never really was able to get into it because of how rigged the AI seemed at times. It seemed that, no matter what I did, even if the move I used or switch I made would make no sense whatsoever, the AI would respond with the perfect counterplay, every single time. Not to mention that it'd seem like the AI's moves would never miss and would crit at the worst possible times.

It's possible to chalk it up to RNG, but there were definitely times where I felt like those specific battle facilities were coded differently in order to unfairly up the challenge on the player.

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-11-11 01:56:57
I'm inclined along with the rest of Smogon to say it was just bad luck. The AI in English Stadium 2 is notorious for making its decisions based on what you put in, but in all the ones programmed by Game Freak, it's "fair", though they seemed to get a lot smarter Gen 5 and onward. (If you use Trick and give something a Choice Scarf, the opponent switches!) The fact of the matter is, though, that you're pitting one very limited team against all 1000+ Frontier sets at once. It requires a strategy based on consistency rather than being one step ahead of a real opponent in a varying metagame, and in the case of a streak of 50, that's enough consistency to defeat 150 randomly selected sets, consecutively.

Date: 2020-01-31 01:06:09
Started playing through Luigi's Mansion 3 today, and oh my god, I'm absolutely in love.

The thing I hated about Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon was that everything was mission-based. You'd complete an objective, get beamed out of the mansion, and then get re-beamed back in, with parts of the layout changed, when you selected your new objective. It really took away the feeling of exploration and curiosity that I had when I played the original Luigi's Mansion in 2001.

Luigi's Mansion 3 reverses that trend and calls back to the original Luigi's Mansion on the GameCube. Everything is interconnected, and nothing is mission-based; you have the option, as the player, to explore the mansion as you see fit. You have objectives and you have things to do, but it's up to you whether or not you want to do them–you can simply explore the mansion to your heart's content until you want to complete the objective.

The environments themselves are so interactive, too. You can interact with just about anything that isn't tied down in the world, and there's a variety of different actions Luigi can use to manipulate his environment. You can shine a rainbow light to expose things that aren't there. You can attach a plunger to an object to pull it across the room or destroy it. You can jump and destroy things around you by pushing the shoulder buttons together. There's even a feature where you can turn into a gooey version of Luigi and slide through cracks in the walls and floors. It's really neat how it all comes together, and really rewarding to figure out which particular action you need to take to solve a puzzle in a room. The mansion being totally interconnected really helps lend to the original feeling of curiosity and exploration that were present in the first game, too.

Gonna be playing it over the next few days to 100% completion. Should be fun!

Date: 2020-02-05 23:06:31
Update on Luigi's Mansion 3:

Overall I really enjoyed the game. The game is primarily puzzle-based–you'll spend a lot of time in various rooms around the hotel, solving various puzzles to either fight ghosts, move on to the next room, find treasure, and progress in general. The fun things about these puzzles is that each floor has a specific theme, and, subsequently, each puzzle is based around that theme. There's a ton of variety in floors–there's an ocean level, a pyramid level, a museum level, a music level, a television studio–the variety is great and welcome because it helps the puzzles in each floor not get repetitive or redundant. Every floor has a unique challenge and a unique atmosphere to offer, and every floor requires you use all your tools in able to solve its puzzles. There's nothing Legend of Zelda-like about these floors; you'll use your entire arsenal in each floor.

The combat is a little mixed. There's again a good variety in combat-related puzzles that you'll use your entire arsenal of weapons to solve, but frankly it gets old after a while. Ghosts don't really progress in difficulty as you move forward in the game; just in quantity. You'll be solving the same combat-related puzzles even just before the final boss–there'll just be more of those puzzles for you to solve. I would have loved to see more variety in the types of ghosts in the hotel. The original Luigi's Mansion had around 15-16 normal ghost types. By comparison, Luigi's Mansion 3 has only 7, and you'll only face 2 types for the majority of floors that you're on. I'm also unsure what to think about the slam mechanic introduced to the Poltergust-G00. You can defeat ghosts normally, but you also have the option of pressing A once you've been sucking the ghost for a certain amount of time. Each time you press A, you'll slam the ghost into the ground, dealing 20 damage. You're able to do this up to 7 times before the ghost escapes–it makes the whole catching process a bit too easy for me. I would have preferred the combat style of the original Luigi's Mansion.

Probably my biggest gripe with Luigi's Mansion 3 is the fact that the floors seem to be somewhat disconnected–the atmosphere changes wildly from floor to floor, and, though the individual atmospheres of each floor are good on their own, the hotel really doesn't feel connected like the original Luigi's Mansion felt. The original Luigi's Mansion felt great because there were no loading screens, everything was connected, and every room felt like something you could legitimately find in a real mansion. Luigi's Mansion 3, on the other hand, while achieving that "hotel theme" on some floors, really strays away from that on other floors, opting for more of a fantasy feel with pyramids, oceans, and museums to explore. This isn't necessarily a bad change, perse–I just prefer the more connected theme of the original game.

Anyway, I would definitely recommend this game for anyone wanting a good puzzle-game to boost their spirits a bit. The game lasted me about 15 hours and was fun right up until the very end.

Posted by: sparkle8205
Date: 2020-02-12 19:27:05
Lately I've been playing Spyro: Reignited, A Hat in Time, and Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. (I cant get enough of the game  ;D)

Date: 2020-02-13 12:06:54

Lately I've been playing Spyro: Reignited, A Hat in Time, and Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. (I cant get enough of the game  ;D)

Cool, glad you like them. ^^

Date: 2020-03-15 15:08:12
Been playing through Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX recently, and it's just as fun as I remember. It honestly doesn't seem like they made any changes to the game other than graphics–the music sounds the same, the story is the same, and most of the mechanics are pretty similar. There are added moves and a few different mechanics (stronger Pokemon in dungeons, camps aren't open and only shown in artwork, rather than in the game itself), but other than that everything is really similar.

It's really nice. Mystery Dungeon was one of my favorite games when I was younger, so I'm happy to play the game again later on. The randomness of the dungeon layouts keeps me coming back every single time–it's really easy, as well, to do a few rescue missions in an hour and call it a day. You don't really have to dedicate a ton of time to play sessions. Highly recommend.

Date: 2020-03-19 05:26:42

Been playing through Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX recently, and it's just as fun as I remember. It honestly doesn't seem like they made any changes to the game other than graphics–the music sounds the same, the story is the same, and most of the mechanics are pretty similar. There are added moves and a few different mechanics (stronger Pokemon in dungeons, camps aren't open and only shown in artwork, rather than in the game itself), but other than that everything is really similar.

It's really nice. Mystery Dungeon was one of my favorite games when I was younger, so I'm happy to play the game again later on. The randomness of the dungeon layouts keeps me coming back every single time–it's really easy, as well, to do a few rescue missions in an hour and call it a day. You don't really have to dedicate a ton of time to play sessions. Highly recommend.

I liked the (spoiler): [size=2pt]secret end part with Gengar and Gardevoir[/size]

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2020-06-09 19:47:27
I caved and bought a Switch Lite recently. Been ping-ponging between SSBU and South Park: The Fractured but Whole. Both are super fun.

Date: 2020-06-10 11:41:30

I caved and bought a Switch Lite recently. Been ping-ponging between SSBU and South Park: The Fractured but Whole. Both are super fun.

Nice! ^^