Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games Discussion

Talk about your broken game cartridges/discs/etc. here - Page 2

Re: Talk about your broken game cartridges/discs/etc. here

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-07-15 15:48:29

ARDS is notoriously screwy… makes me think they were made really shittily.

"Yes, without a doubt"
I wonder how many flashcards were sold or borrowed to repair them - I personally know of 6 incidents :)

Strange story is my first Action Replay DS broke so I bought a new one. I then used the official cable to update the firmware on my newer one and somehow fixed the older one by updating that by inserting it after the new one loaded. So this may be a way to fix your old Action Replay DS so you can sell it back :) (probably the problem is just a corrupted firmware in memory). They do seem very fragile though, which is why for me I've had to be careful not applying too much force between the DS Card and USB lead; just gently so it fits.
just… use an R4/AK2i/CyDS? Like actually… just use one of those. Use a SLOT-1 dumper through either a softmodded/hardmodded DSi or a SLOT-2/GBA flashcart plus an original DS or a 3DS and GodMode9 if you wanna stay legal (or don't and just hit up one of several ROM sites, not like I can stop you… but you shouldn't… but I can't stop you!) and/or dump the save.

There's no reason not to, aside from maybe the money side of things, but most of the equipment is cheap or can be borrowed from a friend (in the case of soft/hardmodded consoles or a DS with both slots at least… maybe your friend has flashcarts or whatever, who knows?)

anyways enough verbal garbage you get my point

The white 2 error says the save data could not be accessed and to reinsert the game card. However, doing this doesn't work.
Clean the contacts inside the console and on the cart, check for corrosion or chipping on the cart, try another console, check for weird noises instead of two clicks when the cart inserted into the system, make sure the cart slot is retaining pressure (there's a little flap inside the cart slot that should be pushing the cart towards the contacts) etc.

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-07-15 16:49:56
Got to second what's up there. For cheats alone, flashcarts let you use an interface by players for players, and after looking up Action Replay DS…just oof. That cable looks like a disaster waiting to happen, and microSDs are far more user-friendly, bigger, and versatile should you end up repurposing one.

Not to mention save backup tools literally cured my number one childhood fear.

Posted by: bwill11
Date: 2019-07-16 09:24:27

That cable looks like a disaster waiting to happen

What cable? The action replay I got was structured like a Sonic & Knuckles cart, where you put the action replay in the DS card slot and then put the DS game you were playing into the top of the action replay.

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-07-16 11:43:19

What cable? The action replay I got was structured like a Sonic & Knuckles cart, where you put the action replay in the DS card slot and then put the DS game you were playing into the top of the action replay.
The one here: https://www.amazon.com/DS-Lite-Action-Replay-Nintendo/dp/B000H5UY72/

It's presumably meant to be used with whatever software is on the CD, so that's even more unnecessary hassle.

Date: 2019-07-16 12:12:00

The one here: https://www.amazon.com/DS-Lite-Action-Replay-Nintendo/dp/B000H5UY72/

It's presumably meant to be used with whatever software is on the CD, so that's even more unnecessary hassle.
You can also use it with a utility to hijack the ARDS and stream NDS files to the DS, which is cool, I guess…

but yeah, it's mainly for firmware updates and code updates.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2019-07-16 22:21:03

My copy of Pokemon White 2 isn't broken completely, but often times when I load the game it brings me to a blue screen with an error message. It sometimes works, but with no discernable pattern as to when.

My action replay DS is also broken, loading it has the action replay logo on the top screen and a blank red screen on the bottom. This and the White 2 cartridge are unrelated, I started having problems with the Action Replay long before White 2.

They were. I bought three of them over the span of like… 2 years. Got the job done when they worked, just had a hard time getting them to work.

Also, I had quite a few GameCube and PS2 discs crap out on me over the years. Somehow, though, whenever I used a toothpaste and toothbrush on the discs, they'd work good-as-new. Surprising to me considering the bristles in the brush.

Date: 2019-07-17 00:23:26

My copy of Pokemon White 2 isn't broken completely, but often times when I load the game it brings me to a blue screen with an error message. It sometimes works, but with no discernable pattern as to when.

My action replay DS is also broken, loading it has the action replay logo on the top screen and a blank red screen on the bottom. This and the White 2 cartridge are unrelated, I started having problems with the Action Replay long before White 2.

They were. I bought three of them over the span of like… 2 years. Got the job done when they worked, just had a hard time getting them to work.

Also, I had quite a few GameCube and PS2 discs crap out on me over the years. Somehow, though, whenever I used a toothpaste and toothbrush on the discs, they'd work good-as-new. Surprising to me considering the bristles in the brush.
And the abrasive shit they put in toothpaste?

but yeah don't do that

Posted by: Lost-Paisley
Date: 2019-07-17 18:24:11

I tried that method on my SSX Tricky disk a few years ago but it didn't work :(

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2019-07-18 01:06:06

I tried that method on my SSX Tricky disk a few years ago but it didn't work :(

Trick is to rinse it with water first, then brush the disc with a toothbrush and toothpaste, then rinse the disc again, then dry the disc with a t-shirt. It's literally never failed me.

Posted by: Pokedude
Date: 2019-07-21 22:43:39
OMFG! WHY HAD THIS HAPPENED TO ME!?
I literally just learned that my PS1 memory card that I WAS USING JUST YESTERDAY, crapped out on me with saved data for Resident Evil 2 and Final Fantasy 9 on it! And I had made good progress on both! … Press F for respect and to send my memory card to a better place…

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-07-22 04:30:52

I literally just learned that my PS1 memory card that I WAS USING JUST YESTERDAY, crapped out on me with saved data for Resident Evil 2 and Final Fantasy 9 on it! And I had made good progress on both! … Press F for respect and to send my memory card to a better place…

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
<3

Posted by: bwill11
Date: 2019-07-22 12:30:40

OOOOOF
Speaking of lost progress, This isn't broken or anything, but is sort of related- my copy of Mega Man 11 for Switch has disappeared without a trace, box and all. You would think that a bright red box would be easy to find but no. I also at one point owned all three Pokemon Ranger games but now can't find any of them.

Date: 2019-07-23 16:30:49

Hacked PS2 or an Arduino and the card panel front piece from a PS1. Might be able to pull something off it…

Posted by: Pokedude
Date: 2019-07-23 19:45:56
It looks like the data corrupted because it was a 3rd party card.

Date: 2019-07-24 13:17:36

It looks like the data corrupted because it was a 3rd party card.
Sony-branded ones do that too, don't feel bad…