Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games Discussion

Best game in the original Sonic trilogy (and Knuckles) - Page 1

Best game in the original Sonic trilogy (and Knuckles)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-08-29 03:39:36
Thinking back to the 'good old days'. Feel personally platformers like Sonic, Mario felt innovative in a way that doesn't quite measure today. (though this said Mania feels close to the originals)

Vote your favourite Sonic game here. :)

Re: Best game in the original Sonic trilogy (and Knuckles)

Posted by: coloradohugge
Date: 2019-08-30 00:36:35
Mania does a good job at making the player feel like they're playing a classic sonic game. i feel that shovel knight, megaman 9, megaman 10 and sonic mania or bloodstained: curse of the moon are all games that on the hood have modern game design and hidden mechanics that didn't really exist back in the days, but they FEEL like those old games

they play a lot like what a lot of people "remember" those old games playing; when in reality if they went back and played the older ones there would be small flaws and  primitive game design within them.

they often do a good job at emulating the best parts of older games, but still keeping in modern and fair game design. such as "coyote time"; that hidden mechanic used in many modern side-scroller platformers where running off a ledge you still get a split second to jump (in the air essentially) before you fall. a hidden mechanic that helps the game feel modern and fresh without taking away the general feel of those beloved classics

i personaly like these games. it makes you feel good and they do a good job at giving you the same feeling of playing those old games; even though under the hood, what you're playing is pretty much a new game with a retro aestetic and borrowing some old design ideas that really worked.
like imagine if these newer games used passwords to save the game, they just wouldn't because that in itself feels so clunky and old by design and doesn't feel as nice as using more modern saving methods generally

But yeah, I picked Sonic 3 for the vote, but if mania was there i would pick mania.
(also, Sonic Cd is absent i noticed :o )

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2019-08-30 00:56:46
S&K because it has Flying Battery Zone and is therefore superior to all the others.

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-08-30 09:12:45
Sonic 2, as I actually enjoyed it. S3&K is a very close second.

Date: 2019-09-10 11:24:01

S&K because it has Flying Battery Zone and is therefore superior to all the others.

Dah-dah-dah-da-DUNNNN DUNN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN!! >V<

/Intensive guitar session

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2019-09-21 11:13:31
S3K is the best, and is the complete game. So I can't pick from the poll as the two are separated. :P The only reason why they are is because Sega didn't want to spend more money on a big enough ROM cart, this would make the game even more expensive. It probably would have cost as much as Earthbound did back in the day. I also love Sonic CD, so the two are tied as my favorites all together.  :P I also love the 8-bit games, which don't get any recognition and Chaos is my favorite.

Date: 2020-03-06 15:39:59
Not exactly related, but I just saw a video about an obscure Sonic game called Sonic Runners. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyRmHTxeMEw ; on obscure Sonic games, there is also (an originally download only) Sonic game called Sonic Eraser.