Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Site Announcements

Crap, not again... - Page 1

Crap, not again...

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2006-05-29 05:11:47
I have horribly strayed off schedule AGAIN, whilst leaving site and forums to slowly die out. Now we get like, two posts a day if we're lucky.

Yes, I've slacked off on Melchior III. I put it aside to work on school-related work, as well as other minor projects (such as the "Kevan.org Brain.cgi Blocker", et al) and stuff relating to my personal site The Foo Bar, as well as an increased interest in computer viruses (of all things). Yes, instead of researching Yellow glitches I decided to learn about Win32.Netsky.Whatever. :/

Good news is that summer is almost approaching (arg, finals week first though), and there will be no more school-related stuff.

Cliffs Notes version of this post: We're not dead yet.

Re: Crap, not again...

Posted by: ACE91
Date: 2006-05-29 08:26:53
Ace's Edit (To above post): Despite your insistence about ignoring the title, I really think that having swear words on the main page news would drive some people away. Therefore, I edited it. You'll thank me later.

I blame myself for letting the site die out somewhat, too. I think we all just lost interest over time. That's easy to do when we've found most all of the glitches in the early Pok?mon games anyway. I've been busy with my own programming projects (I'm working on creating an RPG game engine out of only HTML and JavaScript) and my personal life, as well. It's just hard to find time for GCL anymore, and I have so many other things to do right now.

I might add some of the missing pages to the Glitch articles (Tips and Tricks, How it Works, etc.) tomorrow or some other time this week, but I don't think that wil help the site much. What we really need is more content, or a way to draw in a fresh audience that knows nothing about the glitches we've found; and unfortunately I can't think of how to get either. Maybe we'll find new gltiches in the upcoming Pok?mon Ranger/Mysterious Dungeon/Diamond/Pearl games coming up soon, but considering the way Nintendo has been about eradicating glitches, it's not likely. One possible way to get more content would be to fill up the G/S/C/R/S/E/FR/LG sections with the Gameshark-only Glitches that we seem to have neglected to this point. Unfortunately, I can be of little help there.

Also, I won't have the luxury of getting out of school so soon–because my homeschooling supplies arrived late at the start of the school year, I won't be finished with my 9th grade year until mid-July. :( This, combined with other circumstances in my life, means that I won't be online very often, much like I haven't been over the last month or two.

Date: 2006-05-29 08:53:01
In reply to your post:
Melchior III and the upcoming AttackDex are highest priority. My plan is (not organized by month or week, since that repeatedly fails):

Melchior III -> Melchior IV (attackdex) -> G/S/C/R/S/E Glitchdex (actually, D/P might be out once I reach this) -> Trainer's Eyes

And then there's GlitchBattle and Glitch Wars.

In reply to your edit to my post:

Forgive me if I am offensive.

Despite your insistence about ignoring the title, I really think that having swear words on the main page news would drive some people away. Therefore, I edited it. You'll thank me later.

It would only drive away 10-year-olds and other assorted "n00bs". If you freak out every time you see a certain four-letter word, I don't see how you would be mature enough to intelligently participate in the forums. We shouldn't be a general Pokemon forums and a place for kiddies to talk about whatever crap with a lack of intelligence plus bad grammar and spelling (i.e. we are NOT TRS OR SEREBII (which I believe is in size 40-ish font on the rules page)) . We are, first and foremost, a research forum, much like a forum I am going to discuss next.

If I had total and complete leverage over this place (well, technically I do, but…) I'd probably copy these rules word-for-word. The owner of SWS2B has this to say about the principle of his forums:

The principle of the SWS2B forums is to weed out idiots while maximizing freedom of speech for the more intelligent members for serious and thoughtful discussions.

Also, the registration test (yes you have to take a test to get into SWS2B) has this intro text:

Online forums tend to attract the wrong kind of people. The SWS2B message board is designed specifically for the minority of Sonic fans who can think straight and/or do research. People who are too lazy to research, are clueless on how to research, or simply have no interest  in researching are not wanted. When confronted with something you don't know, do you go learn the cold hard truth, or buy into dramatic but wrong information?

In fact, many of the members here came here from SWS2B (case in point: Robjoe[####]), and as you can see they are among the most intelligent members (thanks to the registration test and the Trial system (you have a 30-post Trial phase to prove you are not a n00b), the wheat is separated from the chaff so to speak). I have a hard time finding SWS2B-quality intelligence on Serebii and TRS.

We should be more like SWS2B and less like TRS and Serebii. As I hope you can tell, SWS2B-ers are intelligent and eager to learn and research. Many of us are like that already. Apparently here, we censor certain four-letter words while allowing blatant stupidity alone. If anything at all should be censored, it should be said stupidity.

I'm not saying we should require a registration test (although I'd be willing to implement one if the situation got worse), I'm just saying that we should spend our time fighting rampant idiocy, and less time editing every post that utilizes profanity.

Posted by: GoldenChaos
Date: 2006-05-30 06:41:58
I hang out here because I enjoy learning about glitches.  So what if I don't research?  Sue me.

Posted by: xparasite9
Date: 2006-05-30 06:49:23
well, we won't do that, but we'll burninate you. I think I will. Abwayax, please  pay for the price of the item I'm about to use.

Date: 2006-05-30 07:01:31

I hang out here because I enjoy learning about glitches.  So what if I don't research?  Sue me.

Learning about glitches would probably be somewhere in the same camp as research. As long as you're intelligent enough to do mature discussion…

Edit: Parasite (and Ace), don't try to enforce nonexistant rules on me. When I say a certain word, I don't want it to be censored down to Barney-level. And keep in mind that the Staff of Burnination does not work on staff members. much less on the owner of the site (and the server, mind you).

Posted by: Robjoe1107
Date: 2006-05-30 07:32:25
I support your decision in dropping deadlines, as they often stress you and produce rushed work. Although to inquire: what glitches would there be in the 3rd Gen. games, minus the null? I would guess they'd be copies of the null (but perhaps they could actually fight?). I also aggree that this place should be a bit more like SWS2B. After all, you did just say it's research oriented, so why not?

Date: 2006-05-30 08:43:21

Learning about glitches would probably be somewhere in the same camp as research. As long as you're intelligent enough to do mature discussion…

Edit: Parasite (and Ace), don't try to enforce nonexistant rules on me. When I say a certain word, I don't want it to be censored down to Barney-level. And keep in mind that the Staff of Burnination does not work on staff members. much less on the owner of the site (and the server, mind you).
I edited your post for two reasons: One, though you claim that having foul language on the main page would only drive away "n00bs" and 10-year-olds, what it really does is portray the site (and its owner) as unprofessional/immature, and prevents the site from looking like the very kind of site you intend for it to be. And two, as much as you don't want it, therte are 10-year-olds on this site, and you aren't going to change that easily. (and trying to change it by offending them is never a good idea.) This is a Pok?mon site, based on an E-rated game series. If memory serves, both the first and second GC sites at least had automatic censorship. (When I try to add it to this forum, it doesn't work for some reason.) Why you suddenly want to discard censorship when the last two sites at least had it to some degree is beyond me.

You said that you want the members of this site to be intelligent, thoughtful, and mature people. Well, most intelligent, thoughtful, and mature people can get a point across without offending people or sounding crass. And yes, I agree that a mature person shouldn't be freaked out if they do see such profanity. I censor posts primarily for the two reasons above, not because of my own "inability" to tolerate reading it.

Now, enough rambling about that topic. You said that we really need to focus on removing the "blatant stupidity" on the forums. I agree, and this is the method I propose: we remove the Forum Games (and possibly General Discussion, although that might be taking it too far) boards, and enforce rules about spelling, grammar, and meaningful posts. We could do a warning system like TRS (Or something else, if you're so determined not to be like TRS) and institute minor penalties for spamming, stupidity, and such. We also need to promote research and intelligent discussion–possibly by inviting other members to help with projects like Melchior? We also need to attract intelligent, productive members to the site. How we can do that is beyone me, but you might have some ideas.

Date: 2006-05-31 02:51:05
I'll stop debating about the censorship issue in this thread. I'll just say your argument has major holes, which I may or may not address in a new thread in the Debate board. I have a proposed solution for that, anyway. I'll implement it later today.

As for the topic at hand, I've already gotten Full Metal Kirby and Okk to help me with the first few Melchiors. We could try to hire additional staff for the site. I've already hired Skeith, who'll be working on some of the 2nd and 3rd Gen Glitchdexes while I concentrate on 1st gen.

Date: 2006-05-31 03:46:56

I'll stop debating about the censorship issue in this thread. I'll just say your argument has major holes, which I may or may not address in a new thread in the Debate board.
Your arguments had holes, too; but I don't think it's worth arguing over. Forget the Debate thread; I don't think either of us could change the other's viewpoint on this subject. You could say that we'll agree to disagree. :P (At least this proves that we're both mature enough to know to stop an argument before it gets out of hand.)

Now, back to the site improvement. I was thinking that perhaps it's time we encouraged more member participation in the site?after all, both of us eventually get tired of working on it, which results in the site dying out as it has recently. Perhaps we should add a Submit Content board where people can write articles or submit data/pictures for the site. People could post whatever they find or make that they think could help the site, and the Admins could decide what should go on the site and what shouldn't. We'll have to have some incentive for people to do this, of course?perhaps giving the Glitch Scientist or Valued Contributor ranks to people who get their material on the main site?

Date: 2006-05-31 06:47:40
"Submit a Glitch" was supposed to serve that function. In fact, there's tons of stuff in the Accepted Submissions board that still needs to be added. Data, pictures, etc. And there are already some Valued Contributors.

Date: 2006-05-31 21:05:50
No, what I mean is a place where people can write entire articles and such for the site, not just submit Glitch findings. Encouraging that kind of member participation would help the site out trememdously. People send in Glitch Submissions, but it's up to us to write articles to put on the site to describe them. This would allow some of our more eloquent members to assist with that job. Then again, even with the "rewards" of Glitch Scientist/Valued Contributor rank, it would be somewhat hard to convince people to do this. But, even if we don't use this idea,  it would at least be worth looking into to maybe let some existing Glitch Scientists and/or generally helpful members write stuff for the site.

Date: 2006-06-01 02:52:30
Submissions for articles themselves could be a subboard of Glitch Submissions, I suppose.

And fyi, Glitch Scientist is an official site staff rank, while Valued Contributor is a non-staff who contributes regularly to the site. There's also a third rank, Distinguished Member, which would only be reserved for those seen as "important" to the entire field, but that rank shouldn't be given out willy-nilly.