Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Site Announcements

Oh ****... - Page 1

Oh ****...

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2006-06-08 15:53:49
http://saybox.proboards28.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=newsy&thread=1149790198

Yep. SayBox is planning to implement pop-under ads to cover the cost of their service. I don't like this forecast - having popunders appear in every page of GCL makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. The reason I am using my own server, in part, is to avoid popups and their dastardly cousins.

Input is wanted. Do we axe our saybox?

Edit: Locke Yggdrasill pointed out that the censor doesn't work right on thread titles in show-thread mode.

Re: Oh ****...

Posted by: PokemonPichu
Date: 2006-06-08 17:38:42
Better, create your own Saybox. You know how people can comment on articles? Put a "commenting" system on the main page.

Posted by: zach the glitch buster
Date: 2006-06-08 18:34:51
I say you should ax the saybox if pop ups come with it. if you can find a way around the pop ups then keep it. if not ax it. 8)

Posted by: GoldenChaos
Date: 2006-06-08 18:51:51
Ugh…Pop-ups…One of the reasons I stopped going to many sites.  I say we BURNINATE the SayBox.

Posted by: ACE91
Date: 2006-06-09 10:14:33
Would it be legal to implement HTML/Javascript stuff on our site that removes the pop-under ads? It would take a lot of work, but I think I could write some Javascript code that would disable the Saybox's own Javascript pop-unders. On the other hand, we could just delete the Saybox. Maybe we could replace it with a box showing the latest posts on the forums?

Edit: Unfortunately, I won't be able to write anti-pop-under Javascript for the page because the Saybox is dynamically generated by PHP, preventing me from looking at what makes it tick. I still might be able to do something, but I doubt it…

Date: 2006-06-09 10:31:39
Blocking the ads, preventing them from displaying as intended, or encouraging others to do so is grounds for account termination and / or a global ban from our service.

Nope.

I've got a shoutbox script I can host here, though. I'll give it a shot.

Posted by: xparasite9
Date: 2006-06-10 13:47:29
That's something I've always hated about php. you can't view the source code. This is why it should be illegal, and removed as a valid programming code.

Date: 2006-06-10 14:18:28

That's something I've always hated about php. you can't view the source code. This is why it should be illegal, and removed as a valid programming code.

I can view PHP code on my own server. Actually, it's good that you can't peek into PHP source code on another's server, because then it makes it extremely easy to hack them.