Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Site Announcements

Todo list - Page 1

Todo list

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-11-22 18:55:12
I'm posting up a series of todo lists on the internet. The GCL todo list is here:

http://eightzees.net/notes.php?GCL

This is automatically updated whenever I sync my notes with the server (using Tomboy, a note taking application that comes with Ubuntu. It's damn sweet). So it's usually up to date.

Also note that there aren't any deadlines. I hate deadlines.

Re: Todo list

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2009-11-23 01:02:19
Project Maximus
A community social networking site that focuses on maximizing creative and constructive potential and bettering oneself.
Goal: Allow creators to create, socialites to socialize, and consumers to consume freely.
Started: December 2010
I found a deadline?

Date: 2009-11-23 01:04:49
Project Maximus is unrelated to GCL(F). It doesn't count.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2009-11-23 16:30:56
The wiki front page was created on February 5, so if that was when the wiki can be considered officially started it was February 2009.

Anyway, good to know what I need to do. Organize articles. I'll be looking over all the uncategorized stuff soon.

And by the way, what's GlitchDex 2.3? Anyway, I'll think of ideas for GlitchDex 3.0.

Date: 2009-11-23 22:47:29

The wiki front page was created on February 5, so if that was when the wiki can be considered officially started it was February 2009.

Anyway, good to know what I need to do. Organize articles. I'll be looking over all the uncategorized stuff soon.

And by the way, what's GlitchDex 2.3? Anyway, I'll think of ideas for GlitchDex 3.0.

GlitchDex 2.3 is the GlitchDex on the wiki. It's an updated version of the current GlitchDex 2.0.

The planning page for 3.0 is here: http://eightzees.net/notes.php?GlitchDex3

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-11-27 23:18:52
Abwayax don't take this personally but next time you go to create a new glitchdex, keep the old one available so glitch researchers can use it please. That was a very important research asset and you got rid of it to create a new and better one while leaving the glitch researchers without a research asset.

However, don't make me have to save all of the glitchdex pages in pure HTML because I will if you intend on removing it again to update it. Its insane yes, but I will do it if I feel I need to.

I don't like having to rely on using the trs glitchdex as that gets really old and the information is obviously dated.

Date: 2009-11-27 23:51:08
What exactly did the old glitchdex have that the new one didn't? The old one was available as "glitchdex" while the new one was "glitchdex2" for the longest time. You just happened to arrive after the switch was complete. But since you ask, version 3 will not replace version 2 until it is ready.

And no, nothing is saved in pure HTML. The entries are stored internally as Melchior Format, a human-readable data format similar to YAML (but not as featureful) and is a variation of the format used in the Melchior research documents. However, with v3 there will be tools to edit this data easily without editing even the Melchior text. Glitchdex data hasn't been stored directly as HTML since the first version (the second stores it directly in the database).

What 2.3+ does with the Melchior text is that it creates the HTML on the fly and caches it, so that it does not need to be generated with each page hit. The index is also cached, because reading all of the entries from MediaWiki's database is taxing using the built-in API (since it actually seems to parse the wikitext with each successive get)