Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Site Announcements

And we're back! - Page 1

And we're back!

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2016-08-09 02:39:24
It took longer than I wanted to, but we are finally back online.

Along with the server migration, some infrastructure changes were made which should make the site run better and also make it easier to develop. These were changes I had been wanting to make for a while and figured with the server migration this was a perfect time to leave the legacy infrastructure behind and start anew.

Updates made:
- MediaWiki updated to 1.27. This necessitated a lot of changes to some of the extensions and the skin (we really haven't been doing updates as often as we should…)
- SMF updated to 2.0.11. The existing SMF codebase has been wiped, sans themes. Any mods that were installed on the old one will be re-installed, and then integrated into the codebase.
- -Dex extension ("Professor Glitch's Super Awesome Extension") fixed up so it renders things properly.

Technical changes:
- GCL now runs as a self-contained web application inside a Docker container, using php5-fpm + nginx. The front-end webserver runs nginx proxying into this application. All of the code for this application is available on our self-hosted GitLab instance at https://gitlab.monarch-pass.net/glitch-city-laboratories/glitch-city-laboratories.
– Previously the front-end server was an Apache instance which ran GCL and some other sites under mod_php.

The other bugs which are known about have still not been fixed yet, but I wanted to get this version of GCL back online before tackling them. This setup allows me to have a development environment where changes can be made and tested before being pushed to production.

Re: And we're back!

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-08-09 08:19:50
Great! I was getting bored to come everyday check if it was back  :P

Posted by: Addri Trainer
Date: 2016-08-09 09:29:35
I hope that new changes make the forums becomes better, regards!  ;)

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2016-08-09 09:37:21
And here I was, scared about the prospect of another long downtime over 1 year :)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-08-09 10:08:46
Great we're back! :)

I understand you're busy but have a couple of questions and a suggestion, you know how the GlitchDex and ItemDex have a "([[ItemDex| Back to the ItemDex index]].)" option? I modified the pages to have this when the extension wasn't working and have now made them pages like the other database entries, but the contents pages still say this.

1) Will the entries for the names of things on the GlitchDex, AttackDex and ItemDex eventually update or do you have to update them by another means?

2) Is it possible to add links and images on the database entries (like RB:191 could link to Trainer escape glitch, or glitch Pokémon front sprites and backsprites)?

Suggestion: Can you add a criteria for Time Capsule Exploit/Johto guard glitch learned moves please?

Thanks!

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2016-08-09 13:35:52
Eventually the extension will be dropped and replaced with something better, but for now I wanted to fix it up so it works properly again. Some of the entries have been hand-converted into proper pages or formatted, and the "back to the index" link confuses the parser into thinking that's the name of the Pokémon/item/attack since the parser expects the first line to be the name. Removing that should update the name shown on the index (that's the intention)… but no guarantees, as the extension is not as "super awesome" as it claims to be!

The new extension will use MediaWiki's template syntax which will more easily allow for things like wikilinks and images. The intention will be to keep the things the extension brings like separation of markup from data, and the ability to sort and (eventually…) filter the index, while being allowed to freely use native wiki code.

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2016-08-09 14:26:30
yay ;D

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-08-09 14:31:59

Eventually the extension will be dropped and replaced with something better, but for now I wanted to fix it up so it works properly again. Some of the entries have been hand-converted into proper pages or formatted, and the "back to the index" link confuses the parser into thinking that's the name of the Pokémon/item/attack since the parser expects the first line to be the name. Removing that should update the name shown on the index (that's the intention)… but no guarantees, as the extension is not as "super awesome" as it claims to be!

The new extension will use MediaWiki's template syntax which will more easily allow for things like wikilinks and images. The intention will be to keep the things the extension brings like separation of markup from data, and the ability to sort and (eventually…) filter the index, while being allowed to freely use native wiki code.

That sounds neat, looking forward to it! :)

Yeah, I tried to remove back to index link and replaced the first two lines with "[new line][item name]" but the index is still showing "([[ItemDex| Back to the ItemDex index]].) with (0) in the ID field and 0 in the price field for me.

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2016-08-09 15:40:41
Yay, I get to annoy people again!

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2016-08-15 14:08:01
I was looking almost every day to see if the maintenance has finished.
However, there's one problem.
The Forum Rules page is dead, and new users will not obey the rules more often, because they can't access the page.

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2016-09-19 17:24:45
I hadn't come here in a while but I'm glad the migration went fine! :)

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2016-10-09 00:33:44
Posts seem to go through a lot faster and everything runs smoother as a whole. Glad it's back!

Posted by: Thanathan
Date: 2016-10-15 16:28:12
Hooray, finally I can ask dumb questions again ^-^