Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Site Announcements

SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY... - Page 2

Re: SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Posted by: SuperZero
Date: 2020-07-14 11:37:02
Heard this down the grapevine, sad to see it go but I can see the staff was left in a difficult position. Thanks to everyone past and present who helped make this community

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2020-07-14 12:42:10
I

I don't think floored is a strong enough word. Or shocked, or gobsmacked, or indeed any word in the English language.

When I joined this forum on that day in January 2007, I was convinced as a twelve-year-old could have been that it would never die. I continued to hold that conviction when I was banned for a month. I continued to hold that conviction when the site was shut down for over a year. I continued to hold that conviction when Abwayax retired as head administrator.

Conviction is a funny thing. It to see that conviction broken, to see a pillar of the Pokémon community such as this shut down, even if I don't agree with the reasoning behind it, is earth-shaking. I don't think I've reacted as viscerally at anything that happened on the Internet as I did when I first saw this announcement yesterday. I shudder to think about what my life would have been without GCL, as it was the first Internet community I joined; I likely would have been worse off but for its presence.

I'm sure we all know each other in a hundred different ways, and see each other in a thousand different places, but this place, and this time, was special, and we will never have it again.

It's been fun, y'all. :'(

Posted by: Mefista
Date: 2020-07-14 13:09:24
Great, manually looking up youtube videos it is, then T_T (I am long banned cause TOEI and so cannot watch channels and relied on links on here)

Posted by: Couldntthinkofaname
Date: 2020-07-14 13:13:40
When I first started out on GCL, I was a lurker for a few years. I started lurking because of a little item in Pokemon Red and blue called 8f. I don't know how old I was, it couldn't have been too long ago, but I was mystified: "Execute any code you want? With THIS specific pokemon party? Codes you make by having a specific item bag? How does any of this work?" I was mildly interested in programming, so I saw ISSOtm's Introduction to GBZ80 programming in the sidebar, and I gave it a click. That started a rabbit hole of programming concepts I never would've understood otherwise.

I started making 8f codes, then Coin Case codes, then a (never finished) Pokemon Japanese green rom hack documentation, and then I believe the final thing I did on here was to create the G/S memory editor. As I was making, I was growing more and more confident, because even with every minuscule project I was learning more and more. If it weren't for this site, I wouldn't be nearly as interesting in programming as I am today.

Thank you. And see ya, space cowboy!

Posted by: Darkmewham2
Date: 2020-07-15 08:23:11
I don't think I've used this account for at least 10 years – and this will probably be the last time this username will ever be used.

I became part of this community via Trsrockin, where a lot of initial Glitch Pokemon documentation was done, then followed Abwayax over to GCL. It's amazing how this site really hasn't changed much in appearance over the years, and I love it. 

This place was a huge part of my childhood and I am glad it's being well archived (a lot of the old TRSRockin content, such as the forums, never got the same treatment). My interest in Pokemon glitches has never really faded entirely, but I've definitely taken a back seat into the lurker role over the past 15 years. All of you who have made youtube videos about your discoveries – you bet I've been watching them :)

The source code leak for me has been a rollercoaster of emotions. Initially, I cried in joy that we got to see the first glimpses of what the Spaceworld prototypes held. The more that I began seeing about the source of the leaks, the leaker, and the sheer amount of them ruined the magic for me. The magic that I was recalling so vividly was the magic of glitch hunting and finding unused Pokemon content all these years ago. I feel like this all could have happened so differently. That magic might be gone, but the history is here.

Sorry for rambling so much – this means a lot to me.
If anyone from the old days would like to get in touch and reminisce, feel free to poke me on discord @mold #7516 or mold@mold.digital

EDIT: Crazy. This account was created on February 12, 2007.

Posted by: coloradohugge
Date: 2020-07-15 10:45:35
I joined the site in early 2014, But my interest of Pokémon glitches started around 2010. That's when I first started experimenting mainly in Pokémon Red and I've always focused on Generation 1

What always has interested me the most has been the glitch pokémon themselves, Sure There's a lot of the glitches that are fun and interesting to study and test and manipulate; But for me it's always been Glitch Pokémon that has interested me the most. Therefore, my main goal since joining the site and what I usually always focused on was fleshing out or researching part of the wiki portion of GCL. And what really peaked my interest even further was researching all the different language versions of the Gen 1 Glitch Pokémon, That was the thing that ended up being the most fun for me and what ultimately was my focus.

So the 2 biggest projects I was part of was the Gen 1 International Glitch Pokémon Documentation and adding the Wiki Pages for them together with Evie & Also for fun I was part of a small team together with a few other members here Epsilon, Parzival & Danny where we also set out to document all glitch pokémon in the Bootleg English Poorly translated Pokémon Green Romhack.
(

a (never finished) Pokemon Japanese green rom hack documentation,

)

I'd like to thank everyone on the site for everything, It was always fun to be a part of everything. And especially thanks to the people I ended up working the closest with here. Epsilon, Danny & Parzival (I know he left earlier but If you somehow read this) Thank you, It was really fun to get together and just work on a silly small project like that for fun.

& Evie, Thanks a lot for all your help and participation when we were working on all the International Glitch Pokémon Documentations. Some notable highlights I can think of during that project was that name oddity with Glitch Pokémon with Hexadecimal F0 in the Spanish Red/Blue which ended up being the basis of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh1kXCgOMGI , or How we'd stay up late almost every night for what must've been 1-2 weeks or so and tirelessly added all the Pages for the International Glitch Documentation, added all the front and backsprites, pokédex entries, names & links to connect all the pages, which eventually turned into this whole page: https://glitchcity.info/wiki/List_of_glitch_Pok%C3%A9mon (I'm also looking back at all the small update messages we'd send over the talk pages: https://glitchcity.info/wiki/User_talk:Hpok%C3%A9_coloradohugge and that certainly brings back some good memories from working on that project.)

It was all very fun projects to take part in and ever since I started I always made sure to store all my documentation locally and still have copies of the work that was done, So that It didn't go to waste in case GCL wasn't going to last forever.
Which we all now know it won't, but hey.

Anyways, I will still be around on the new Discord and I plan to get back into more glitching again soon once things have slowed down a bit at work and life outside of Internet.

This site has ment a lot for me and It'll be sad to see it end, But that being said It will certainly be interesting to see what's born out of the ashes of everything and what will happen in the future.

Thanks

Posted by: CelestialAmber
Date: 2020-07-15 13:25:13
I never directly participated in the forums or really looked at any parts of the site that often other than the wiki parts (until now), but I've been interested in Pokemon glitches for a while now, and it's sad to see that this site is now going to be shut down. I hope that it can be revived in some form in the future.

Posted by: Ryccardo
Date: 2020-07-15 15:24:35
Too bad…
The trade was canceled!

It is very unfortunate that what I see as the main goal of GCL - the documentation of facts - is going to be bent, if not arguably broken, by some people's morals (albeit admittedly not just any random people but the site's leaders), especially when few others "mainstream" sites (ie bulbapedia and TCRF) do a through effort to engage in them…

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2020-07-15 16:47:07

& Evie, Thanks a lot for all your help and participation when we were working on all the International Glitch Pokémon Documentations. Some notable highlights I can think of during that project was that name oddity with Glitch Pokémon with Hexadecimal F0 in the Spanish Red/Blue which ended up being the basis of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh1kXCgOMGI , or How we'd stay up late almost every night for what must've been 1-2 weeks or so and tirelessly added all the Pages for the International Glitch Documentation, added all the front and backsprites, pokédex entries, names & links to connect all the pages, which eventually turned into this whole page: https://glitchcity.info/wiki/List_of_glitch_Pok%C3%A9mon (I'm also looking back at all the small update messages we'd send over the talk pages: https://glitchcity.info/wiki/User_talk:Hpok%C3%A9_coloradohugge and that certainly brings back some good memories from working on that project.)

It's been a pleasure! ^^ Yeah ha ha, all those glitch Pokémon across every language, if I remember (without checking the list of glitch Pokémon) two or so had control characters in their name between Italian/Spanish versions in a way that you could get an infinite name.

Too bad…
The trade was canceled!

It is very unfortunate that what I see as the main goal of GCL - the documentation of facts - is going to be bent, if not arguably broken, by some people's morals (albeit admittedly not just any random people but the site's leaders), especially when few others "mainstream" sites (ie bulbapedia and TCRF) do a through effort to engage in them…

Here's my take on it: The other day I made a post about continuing on the new site and avoiding leaks, but I think it's because Photon-Phoenix and Abwayax don't want them and I respect that decision. However, I may have influenced them because I used to be fully against leaks (based on the main page history on the wiki, also at one point I felt quite low too which why I removed fan-translation patch link for an unrelated project before bringing it back years later). In Photon-Phoenix/Abwayax's shoes, it's their site and if the (remaining) staff feel burnt out and they don't want the risk of anything that could be took down, I don't blame them.

On the other hand, if the consensus does turn out to be for having leaks it does seem unfair to remove them all in that respect too. Maybe I'm biased in favour of the admins(?). It's not that I'm against having leaks though as my opinions changed. On another unrelated site (a general Nintendo wiki) where I'm a sysop the consensus seemed to be to keep leaks as long as there are no ROM links, so they did keep articles on prototypes etc. Additionally like you noted, The Cutting Room Floor is still open.

Maybe in a nut-shell; I would be for the leaks, but tied-in now that Photon-Phoenix and Abwayax made this decision, I felt I didn't want to object. On hindsight (and worry about sounding rude) I wonder if that post I made was being conformative in a negative sense, and if I assumed a link that they don't want to cover leaks to not have the hassle of being in risk of takedown, given the burnout/stress. If they change their mind to allow leaks I'll continue to post them too (but not ROMs which I feel is too far).

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2020-07-15 20:40:27
Hello everyone, ISSOtm here!

Hey, it's been 6 years already? Man.

My story with this community is quite close to Sanqui's, actually. I joined near the end of high school (wait, it's been that long? Whoa.), I was programming TI 8x+ calculators at the time, whose CPU is very close to the Game Boy's, which played an unexpected role in all this.
You know, it's incredibly stupid how I came into this community… from a Flash game of all things. There's a Missingno cameo in it, and that's how, through a rabbit hole of google searches into Bulbapedia pages, I eventually landed here. I haven't grown with Pokémon games, or anything before the DS for that matter, but this is how I came into Pokémon, and retro gaming as a whole. Eventually, I learned GB assembly through the disassembly projects, and eventually shifted to writing my own programs for the system.

And now I'm headed into a software developer career, a dozen of less-than-recent consoles next to me which I still play on, and I'm about to release my first commercial GBC game. I've also met some people that are about to play a large role in my life, and made some really goodand, largely, unexpectedfriends. My fairly unconventional introduction to GB programming allowed me to be part of the rekindling of the GB dev community, which has brought me yet more; but this is another story.
Looking at all of this, the chain of coincidences is incredible; there's certainly some philosophical thing to be taken from it, but I'm just happy it happened at all. :D

I kinda share Sanqui's sentiment that the mentality here shifted over time. But I also think it's a more global changefor example, many speedrunning scenes have moved from doing things rather inconsistently, to being closer to infosec than anything else… I feel that Gen 1 being mostly "complete", and to an extent Gen 2, changed the landscape a lot; but I think that specialization in research fields is unavoidable.

I don't think I will come back to glitching proper. Programming is my new hobby, and it takes a lot of time; plus, the GB dev community is still actively growing and needs some things done, so I chose to focus there instead. This is why I will not apply for moderator or admin in the new community, but I will still hang out from time to time, because there are some amazing folk there.

I want especially to thank Abwayax for keeping the site running for all these years, all the admins for putting time into managing it, and the whole community for the good times. And the bad ones, these have been important too. Wherever y'all are headed, I wish you the best. o7

Maybe my only regret with all this… is that I will never get to be called an oldbie :'(

Posted by: Bassmasta
Date: 2020-07-15 23:58:01
While I haven't been terribly active these last few years, I'm saddened that this is the end of the road for this place. It's always been a treasure trove of information, and it's been wonderful seeing all the discoveries made over the years and how far glitching has come since I first stumbled here in 2007. I can't wait to see what the community-to-be will discover in the years to come, but I will definitely miss lurking in this corner of the internet.

Long live the Hooked Metapod!

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2020-07-16 22:04:08

I would have took over ownership of this place if I had to… I know I haven't been as active lately but part of that was because nothing terribly interesting has happened for quite a long time and I kinda grew out of the more immature stage in my life where I enjoyed fooling around in the general discussion boards. Also I'm not very good with leader ship roles…. I'm kind of too lax and a bit of a slacker.

I've been talking with a few people in the new discord server about setting up a new wiki. No one has purchased hosting yet, but once we figure stuff out you're welcome to help us out! Also you should be able to get your wiki contributor role in the discord server too since I think they do have that as a role if I remember correctly.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2020-07-17 19:38:36
Lots of fond memories. But I guess everything ends eventually.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2020-07-23 22:27:40
Hmm. I should write a goodbye post! I'll do that this weekend.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2020-08-04 16:13:21
Changed my mind about one of my previous post. I'm with the staff personally; leaked information no, full stop. I think unused content in retail games is OK, but leaks can result in takedown notices and it could put Glitch City Laboratories in trouble. Even though The Cutting Room Floor has leaks they could potentially get in trouble too, like how Wack0 got arrested.