Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Debate Wars

Censorship - Page 1

Censorship

Posted by: PichuUmbreon
Date: 2007-12-19 21:29:11
This is a pretty huge thing to debate about. Are you in support of censorship or against it, and what kinds? And I won't be making a poll.

I'm against censorship for the most part, one reason being that censorship feeds fuel to taboos in many ways. And taboos can often be irrational. For example, it's taboo to say swear words, even though they're simply a bunch of letters, and you could make a bunch of insults that do not have swear words with the same force. If the world stopped censoring swear words, the next generation would have one less daily fear.

But, I don't mind censorship of private information that you do NOT want to reveal. If anyone censors your information and/or pictures, though, then it's bad in my opinion.

Re: Censorship

Posted by: LedZeplin2
Date: 2007-12-19 21:36:52
Depends, really. Some people can take it as offensive, you know…

Date: 2007-12-19 21:46:50

Depends, really. Some people can take it as offensive, you know…

Swear words? Sure, but don't you want a world where no single words are offensive?

Date: 2007-12-19 21:48:51
I doubt that will happen though. There will always be people who will be offended by a word.

Date: 2007-12-19 22:02:02

I doubt that will happen though. There will always be people who will be offended by a word.

Yes. If it exists, at least one human is offended by it/has a fetish to it/does it/etc.

But, it would be good for the majority to not be simply offended by words.

Date: 2007-12-19 22:06:05
Yeah, it would, but, it should definitely be kept around some, because, you know, really little kids could watch that stuff…

Date: 2007-12-19 22:13:13

Yeah, it would, but, it should definitely be kept around some, because, you know, really little kids could watch that stuff…

Sexual content? I need to figure out exactly why so much kinds sexual content/information should be censored (other than religious purposes), but they DO have a taboo.

Or if you're talking about swear words, then try to come up with reasons why kids shouldn't hear swear words, and you'll most likely see they're bad reasons connected to human paranoia. Like I do.

Date: 2007-12-19 22:17:40
Well, not really young kids…

Actually I meant sexual content, yes. They should do censorship with that, especially if it involves nudity.

Date: 2007-12-19 22:22:50

Actually I meant sexual content, yes. They should do censorship with that, especially if it involves nudity.

Ah. Reminds me of something I said yesterday on IRC:
<Kyoukipichi> Anyone here want to read my theory on why our society has an irrational fear of genitals and women's breasts?
<Vampiro> ya me
<Kyoukipichi> k
<Kyoukipichi> At the beginning of our species, Homo sapiens,
<Kyoukipichi> they were smart enough to make clothes, and when they realized that clothes could somewhat prevent them from being raped, they kept their clothes on
<Kyoukipichi> Centuries later, people slowly forgot why it was bad to show your genitals lacking clothes,
<Kyoukipichi> and just thought they were not supposed to be seen
<Kyoukipichi> and turned into taboo
<Kyoukipichi> As for women's breasts,
<Kyoukipichi> that taboo contributed to people's dislike of the sight of breasts, because what was taboo-ized were sexual-related, and people thought breasts were sexual-related due to their ability to give milk

Posted by: Phrawger
Date: 2007-12-29 10:22:01
Swear words should not be censored. If they became a regular thing, then they would not seem as offensive as they are used now. It would just become another regular word.