Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Debate Wars

Should downloading video game ROMs be illegal? - Page 1

Should downloading video game ROMs be illegal?

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2009-06-18 10:17:30
I ask you my bretheren, why? Why should the Companies be so greedy and selfish? Why not keep old system ROM's and emulators legal and the production of newer models (such as Wii-dolphin) illegal temporary? They don't sell Gameboy's anymore! Why must we have to buy it from them TWICE? The Wii shop is a rip off my freinds! Why should I pay $6.00 for a game that is older than hell.

What's your opinion?

Re: Should downloading video game ROMs be illegal?

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-06-18 10:25:03
I totally agree there. Pokemon games, such as Red/Blue/Yellow, Gold/Silver/Crystal, are like old. Dead old. There's a game shop I know and they sell games way old! Even games of when I was a kid, and they don't cost all that much, but still. Old games, like I just said, are a pain in the ass to get since, either the cartridge is damaged on the inside or the battery is dying, either way people turn to Pokemon ROMs, but some sites, are greedy. They want you to pay for like a pro account just to download more than one file, and I'm like what the fuck? Seriously, ROMs, should stay legal.

Date: 2009-06-18 10:30:13
Thank you for agreeing with me!

Date: 2009-06-18 10:34:05
Some sites I go to download like Game Soundtracks, because they say they are released in Europe, but I haven't seen any in stores I go to. So, I download mine and I have to wait an X mount of minutes/seconds for another download, it's just stupid, then the site wants you to pay for a blody pro account just to get endless downloads and no limits, when your only going to use it once. What the hell is wrong with sites these days? ROMs, these days are a living nightmare to get a hold of mainly Pokemon ROMs.

Date: 2009-06-18 10:37:07
I know alot of ROM downloading places, and I check them to see if they implant viruses.
I'll put that in a new topic though.

Date: 2009-06-18 10:39:12
That is the only problem with some websites, their files that carry the ROMs, to seem to carry pesky viruses. It's always best to have the AVG Toolbar, where that tells you if the site is dangerous or not. My PC has that and it's very useful, but I use Avast! on my laptop, but I was lucky the ROMs I got weren't carrying viruses. Plus you have to be careful when it comes to Game Soundtrack websites too.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-06-18 11:25:28

I totally agree there. Pokemon games, such as Red/Blue/Yellow, Gold/Silver/Crystal, are like old. Dead old. There's a game shop I know and they sell games way old! Even games of when I was a kid, and they don't cost all that much, but still. Old games, like I just said, are a pain in the ass to get since, either the cartridge is damaged on the inside or the battery is dying, either way people turn to Pokemon ROMs, but some sites, are greedy. They want you to pay for like a pro account just to download more than one file, and I'm like what the fuck? Seriously, ROMs, should stay legal.

It's very easy to get a hold of Pok?mon ROMs if you know where to look.

Date: 2009-06-18 11:33:11
I know that. I'm just saying why is it illegal.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-06-18 21:23:04
At first, when you think about it, it seems completely alright for the companies to make getting ROMs from older games legal (since they aren't making any more money off of them), but when you think about it, people would hesitate to buy a game, if in a few years it's going to be free.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2009-06-18 21:38:54
I completely agree. Super Mario Bros. Deluxe is a perfect example. I own all Mario games that were included in that game, but NOT Super Mario Deluxe itself.

Posted by: Zach the Glitch Buster
Date: 2009-06-18 21:44:36

At first, when you think about it, it seems completely alright for the companies to make getting ROMs from older games legal (since they aren't making any more money off of them), but when you think about it, people would hesitate to buy a game, if in a few years it's going to be free.

Yeah, anyone who would wait ten years for a game to be free isn't really the kind of person who would be wasting 60 dollars on a video game in the first place.

But I think that, when the game is no longer profitable to the creators, then the ROM version should be legal.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-06-19 01:02:03
Why must we have to buy it from them TWICE?

We don?t. Want to pay for the game once and play it forever? Buy the game and a cart dumper and make a copy. Boom, instant legal ROM which you can use in lieu of the cartridge. If you don?t like game companies? ridiculous copying restrictions and high prices for glorified re‐releases, don?t buy the new consoles. Dollars speak more loudly than words.

I am not against copyright, but the current length is completely ridiculous, and the judgments for uploading are ridiculously out of sync with actual monetary damages. Macaulay summed it up pretty well, during a debate over extending copyright terms:

?I am so sensible, Sir, of the kindness with which the House has listened to me, that I will not detain you longer. I will only say this, that if the measure before us should pass, and should produce one‐tenth part of the evil which it is calculated to produce, and which I fully expect it to produce, there will soon be a remedy, though of a very objectionable kind. Just as the absurd acts which prohibited the sale of game were virtually repealed by the poacher, just as many absurd revenue acts have been virtually repealed by the smuggler, so will this law be virtually repealed by piratical booksellers. At present the holder of copyright has the public feeling on his side. Those who invade copyright are regarded as knaves who take the bread out of the mouths of deserving men. Everybody is well pleased to see them restrained by the law, and compelled to refund their ill‐gotten gains. No tradesman of good repute will have anything to do with such disgraceful transactions. Pass this law: and that feeling is at an end. Men very different from the present race of piratical booksellers will soon infringe this intolerable monopoly. Great masses of capital will be constantly employed in the violation of the law. Every art will be employed to evade legal pursuit; and the whole nation will be in the plot. On which side indeed should the public sympathy be when the question is whether some book as popular as Robinson Crusoe, or the Pilgrim?s Progress, shall be in every cottage, or whether it shall be confined to the libraries of the rich for the advantage of the great‐grandson of a bookseller who, a hundred years before, drove a hard bargain for the copyright with the author when in great distress? ??

Posted by: atoms2ashes
Date: 2009-06-19 06:59:25
Should GBA roms be illegal to download? Heck, I think Nintendo doesn't even care anymore, what with the GBA slot deleted from the DSi.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-06-19 10:30:37

Should GBA roms be illegal to download? Heck, I think Nintendo doesn't even care anymore, what with the GBA slot deleted from the DSi.

They should, but like most other ROMs, it's more of a warning than a threat.  They put it there to scare people into not doing it, but they rarely actually do anything about it.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-06-19 11:33:35

The existence of Virtual Console makes it obvious that Nintendo does care about the copyright for their older games.