Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Debate Wars

Is microsoft copying apple? - Page 1

Is microsoft copying apple?

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2013-06-09 22:15:57
From visual appealing OS to mobile devices, do you think Microsoft is copying apple? From Microsoft having large 3rd party support, with software and freeware, to macintosh having trillions of apps now, do you think Microsoft copied apple, or just building upon their ideas?

Discuss

Re: Is microsoft copying apple?

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2013-06-10 11:03:16
Microsoft's always copied Apple, bro.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2013-06-10 11:41:39
I would disagree. Microsoft sucks, Apple sucks, but neither of them have a copyright or patent on sucking to my knowledge.
Other than that, in what way would Microsoft's business practices be considered ripping off? True, Apple is partly to blame for the whole "let's make all computers mobile stuff even at the expense of usability/stability/common sense" thing that plagues the market these days, but I wouldn't consider Microsoft creating Windows 8 so much copying Apple as just blindly following bandwagon trends without any regard for quality. The other thing Microsoft does is the Xbox stuff, which Apple doesn't have anything to be copied from.

Posted by: Missingnoguy55
Date: 2013-06-10 18:28:53
Well pretty much they've been copying each other ever since the 1980s. For example, most of Microsoft's older tools (fdisk, etc.) were originally IBM's tools but were given rights to Microsoft after they left IBM to become standalone. MS-DOS for example was thought to be a heavy edit of 86-DOS created by Gary Kildall, an IBM employee. Older Windows users remember MS-DOS as the underlying 16-bit OS which would allow entry into 32-bit mode.

Apple has technically been seperate from Microsoft if you look at some of what they used. And they're quite infamous as most of their systems used unique hardware (with the exception of System 6-7 which used the Motorola 68k) but the primary battle began when both companies were compared in terms of different fields, such as performance, reliability, customer support, etc.

In the modern day most of the code can be intertwined to create multi-platform support. This supposedly eliminated some of the battles outside personal opinions.

If this is about Microsoft supplying tablets for the Windows 8 operating system, and the Windows Phone operating system, then yes in my opinion they are copying Apple. But this is common in marketing as most competitors will compete with a company they've been rivaling by creating something "better". Compact stuff was idealized by Apple but it wasn't technically restricted to them, so I wouldn't say they're "copying" but rather building upon an idea passively.