Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Debate Wars

Gun Control in the US - Page 1

Gun Control in the US

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2018-03-15 10:50:17
I'd love to hear the opinions of other people on gun control/gun bans in the US, as that's a hot topic right now.

Personally, I feel that weapons like pistols, shotguns, rifles, etc. are fine as they are, but weapons that can be more powerful, exotic weapons, weapon platforms (AR-15), etc. should require extra training (along the lines of conceal carry training and certification) to be owned (unless modified to be inoperable, like a prop or smth). And, of course, you'd need the training to buy the ammo too (something like presenting the certificate of training when you go to buy it).

Re: Gun Control in the US

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2018-04-06 17:34:56
I dont understand why everyones focusing on AR15s when the vast, vast majority of gun deaths, including homicides, are from handguns.

Posted by: Kyoukipichi
Date: 2018-04-06 20:44:58
The NRA started coming out in support of gun control when the Black Panther began equipping African Americans with guns.

Guns allow people for an out from abusive situations.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2018-04-08 01:31:49
They also allow people to create abusive situations, but y'know

Date: 2018-04-10 05:13:25
So do knives. Apparently in London the government tells you theres never a reason to carry a knife. Sounds like they have small imaginations if they cant think of a legitimate reason to carry a knife. I honestly thought this was a joke tweet at first:

[img]https://iimarckus.org/etc/london-knives.png[/img]

Now acid attacks are on the rise. Starting to think that banning every potentially dangerous item in common use may not be the solution here.

Posted by: Couldntthinkofaname
Date: 2018-04-10 16:43:51

Starting to think that banning every potentially dangerous item in common use may not be the solution here.

this->Exactly() ;

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2018-05-19 23:44:47
I think it's worth it to at least ban assault weapons, like the aforementioned AR-15. Yes, the large majority of homicides take place with handguns and in 1-to-1 scenarios, but it's much easier to kill a multitude of people (look at the shooting in Vegas, for example) with an assault weapon than it is with a handgun.

Interested to hear other thoughts. In my opinion there's no real reason that a normal civilian should ever own an assault weapon – handguns and smaller weapons can definitely be justified and are totally fine to have (self-defense, etc) since they don't have the killing capacity that other, larger weapons have. If that wasn't clear, you can kill more people more quickly with an assault weapon than with anything else.

Posted by: 0ErrorYT
Date: 2018-05-26 22:17:19
It's not guns fault, it's the media imo. You can't run a story about a school shooting 24/7, state the school weaknesses that caused it, exactly how it was done, and why, and not expect kids in a similar situation to not think its a good idea. That's why so many happen imo, banning guns will never happen as it's a clear as day violation of the 2nd amendment

Date: 2018-05-28 15:08:07

I think it's worth it to at least ban assault weapons, like the aforementioned AR-15.

Theres no significant difference in lethality between the AR15 and any other semiautomatic rifle. So I assume you want to ban semiautomatic rifles in general. Or do you have some characteristic of the AR15 in mind that makes it more dangerous than, say a Sub2000 or an SKS?

Theres a reasonable explanation the AR15 is used so often in mass shootings: its a highquality gun, and the most popular and widely sold rifle in the United States.

Yes, the large majority of homicides take place with handguns and in 1-to-1 scenarios, but it's much easier to kill a multitude of people (look at the shooting in Vegas, for example) with an assault weapon than it is with a handgun.

Virginia Tech, the deadliest school shooting in US history, was perpetrated solely with handguns.

In my opinion there's no real reason that a normal civilian should ever own an assault weapon

Handguns are useless for hunting. And personally I would much prefer a rifle to any handgun for home defense.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2018-06-01 01:34:26
Britain's just weird I think. But no, the solution is not to ban everything, although if you sent literally everyone to jail that would curb gun violence. You just wouldn't have happy citizens.

On the other hand, "people get stabbed in Britain" doesn't seem like a good reason to me to allow guns.

Perhaps there's just that much of a cultural difference here. Americans see the default position as allowing guns, and so they need convincing why someone would ban guns. Non-Americans (generally) see the default position as banning guns, and so would need convincing why guns should be legalized all of a sudden.