Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Debate Wars

Nintendo Switch Vs. 3DS/New 3DS - Page 1

Nintendo Switch Vs. 3DS/New 3DS

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2019-02-17 18:24:02
Seeing that old Nintendo DS vs Gamecube topic made me want to create this topic, seeing how the Switch is a handheld/console hybrid and can be better compared to the 3DS family of handhelds than the DS against the Gamecube. Which console (or handheld) do you prefer? Personally I like the 3DS better. I don't really care for the joy cons too much, and because of that I hardly play my Switch docked. If the newest Pokemon games were still going to be released on the 3DS I probably wouldn't have bothered to get a Switch. (Well I got it for Christmas of 2017.) SSB is great, and there are some pretty good exclusives such as Octopath Traveler and Super Mario Odyssey but I mainly wanted a Switch for Pokemon alone.

Re: Nintendo Switch Vs. 3DS/New 3DS

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-02-17 23:05:53
It has to be the 3DS for me. The size is just perfect for holding, carrying around, or looking at. The folding design (again, more ease carrying around) and dual screens are still a winner in my eyes, and speaking of eyes, I still like the 3D feature and hope other systems will eventually take it further. I can play anything from nearly any system I care about (not technically using it as advertised, but still), all on those perfectly-sized screens whether I'm home or out, with the heavy metal casing resting on my hands…yeah, it's the 3DS.

Oddly, when I was 8 or 9 I had the thought of playing Colosseum on a system that didn't require a TV and became obsessed with the idea, and as it turns out what I was envisioning looked just like the Switch. After trying out my brother's a bit this year, though, holding it felt flat-out awkward compared to the DS line, not to mention the feel of the buttons. The ability to "switch" between a handheld and a TV console is absolutely brilliant, and when it came down to the one thing they needed to get right with that (making it easy) they nailed it, but I was never much of one for TV consoles…

Most of it probably comes down to me being more used to one than the other. I've spent so much of my life with the DS line that most of its defining elements are just the "gold standard" for me.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2019-02-18 00:52:52
I completely prefer the Switch, but I'm not throwing my 3DS away, either. The 3DS is the better handheld, for sure, but as long as size and battery aren't a concern, then the Switch is superior in every way.
Agreed, it doesn't fit in my pocket easily (need to remove the Joy-cons and it still has some trouble fitting); agreed, it drains its battery faster than a 3DS; however, I mostly play my Switch docked, or while commuting; in the former case, neither matters, and in the latter, I have my bag to lug it around, and I'm not playing it for long. So, for my usage style, the Switch is just better.
I prefer it mostly for the games: the 3DS games are okay, but feel more rough compared to the beautiful Switch games. The Joy-cons are really handy and usable, even for my large hands, and when docked, I just use a GameCube controller because it's really cool.

( As for Pokémon, well, so far Let's Go is a disgrace, let's hope they redeem themselves with an actually good game. Also, here's something mildly related: while I usually just trash Game Freak on their recent actions, if the famed "2019 games" get delayed, I'll take that as a positive sign, because to me it means they won't be rushing it out the door, instead taking the time to polish it. )

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2019-02-19 20:05:15
I do prefer the 3DS, to be honest. And I'm not just saying that because I don't have a Switch. The more I know about the Switch, everything about it seems to be a disappointment. No Virtual Console, paid online which is still terrible, still has Nintendo console problems like no inbuilt Ethernet and encouragement of gimmick waggle controls… just all these little things about it that make me think the Wii U is honestly better (but that's not what we're comparing it to). As a handheld it's bulky as fuck. I'd rather have a cost reduced version of the Switch that just omits the handheld mode because I wouldn't have a use for it. DS sold me on the concept of 2 screens being actually pretty good and they've taken that away.

Oh, and the games. There's nothing about Smash Ultimate that couldn't have been done on the Wii U if they wanted to do that; and Pokemon Let's Go is just a big oof. Lack of backwards compatibility with anything hurts a lot. Super Mario Odyssey is the only thing that I want that doesn't make me say "why should I need a whole new console for this?". Ports are overrated, they're just cut down versions of things I can play on other systems, and the Switch doesn't really offer any advantage other than the alleged handheld mode.

Mostly the cost. You cannot look at the Nvidia Shield that uses the same chipset and then look me in the eyes and truthfully tell me you believe the Switch is not overpriced as fuck.

But what I dislike most of all is the fanbase, if I'm gonna be truthfully completely honest.

You can't even say the words "Wii U" or "3DS" on Twitter/Facebook these days without some loudmouth chiming in about "BOOOOO DEAD CONSOLES!!! GET A SWIIIITCH" and going on a big rant, and it's just heavily obnoxious. I thought these people were supposed to be fans of Nintendo? They talk more shit about those consoles than any Sony/Microsoft console evangelist ever has. Undeserved amounts of shit. There are a few problems with the Wii U and 3DS, but every console has problems; overall the only reason why they're dead is because Nintendo decided to completely and mostly respectively stop supporting them, which is disappointing.

Most of all, I don't want any fucking twerp who doesn't have to pay bills/mortgage/rent to talk shit to me about how I must be just poor if I can't justify the cost of the Switch. Don't mean to be a grumpy old person but if you don't even comprehend what adult responsibilities are, you should probably shut the fuck up when someone is talking about things that cost money.

Date: 2019-02-20 00:54:03

No Virtual Console, paid online which is still terrible, still has Nintendo console problems like no inbuilt Ethernet and encouragement of gimmick waggle controls… just all these little things about it that make me think the Wii U is honestly better (but that's not what we're comparing it to).

These are sadly legit, but it ain't getting better on the unmaintained Wii U, either.

As a handheld it's bulky as f**k. I'd rather have a cost reduced version of the Switch that just omits the handheld mode because I wouldn't have a use for it. DS sold me on the concept of 2 screens being actually pretty good and they've taken that away.

As I explained in my own post, it's not intended to be carried around in a pocket, but instead in a bag. As I often say it, I consider the Switch as a laptop: it's not as on-the-go as a phone, but you can easily transport it from A to B, and I bring it to school often to duke it on some Smash. And comparing it to a handheld is saying that laptops suck because you can fit them in your hand. It's just the wrong point of view.

Oh, and the games. There's nothing about Smash Ultimate that couldn't have been done on the Wii U if they wanted to do that; and Pokemon Let's Go is just a big oof. Lack of backwards compatibility with anything hurts a lot. Super Mario Odyssey is the only thing that I want that doesn't make me say "why should I need a whole new console for this?". Ports are overrated, they're just cut down versions of things I can play on other systems, and the Switch doesn't really offer any advantage other than the alleged handheld mode.

Smash Ultimate did seriously up the eye-candy, among other things, which I believe must be hitting the hardware a fair bit header. Pokémon Let's Go just fucking sucks, they simply ported the 3DS engine and upscaled the textures, boom there you go sell those games to the shit-eating fans. That's not a representative title. I dunno, look at Mario+Rabbids, for example. (Picked something from my HOME menu)
How can you expect backwards compatibility on a system that can't read the earlier discs and has a radically different hardware?
As for the reason to use a different hardware even if the result looks close is, the Wii U is a pretty complicated machine to develop for, and (you were mentioning bulkiness earlier) the gamepad was a crappy gimmick Nintendo themselves had no idea how to handle; in general, nobody wanted to touch the Wii U without a long pole, except a few devs, but that's not enough to make money. The Switch is quite easier to program for, which let a bunch of studios come to the console, making it viable.
I'm not sure how you can call a port from the Wii U "cut down"..? And, the Switch has a few advantages, such as being playable anywhere (not in handheld, in portable mode. If you don't see what difference I'm making, see the laptop bullet point above), drastically reduced load times (compare Smash 4 and Ultimate).

Mostly the cost. You cannot look at the Nvidia Shield that uses the same chipset and then look me in the eyes and truthfully tell me you believe the Switch is not overpriced as f**k.

Well, considering a fresh pair of Joy-Cons is 80 , that would make the console 220 out of the 300. Somehow this makes me feel both the controllers *and* the console are quite overpriced, lol.

But what I dislike most of all is the fanbase, if I'm gonna be truthfully completely honest.

You can't even say the words "Wii U" or "3DS" on Twitter/Facebook these days without some loudmouth chiming in about "BOOOOO DEAD CONSOLES!!! GET A SWIIIITCH" and going on a big rant, and it's just heavily obnoxious. I thought these people were supposed to be fans of Nintendo? They talk more s**t about those consoles than any Sony/Microsoft console evangelist ever has. Undeserved amounts of s**t. There are a few problems with the Wii U and 3DS, but every console has problems; overall the only reason why they're dead is because Nintendo decided to completely and mostly respectively stop supporting them, which is disappointing.

Most of all, I don't want any fucking twerp who doesn't have to pay bills/mortgage/rent to talk s**t to me about how I must be just poor if I can't justify the cost of the Switch. Don't mean to be a grumpy old person but if you don't even comprehend what adult responsibilities are, you should probably shut the f**k up when someone is talking about things that cost money.

I mean, I get it, but every console has an awful part in their fanbase. Can't blame this specifically on the Switch, can you? I'm pretty sure you will find a vocal minority of PS4 die-hards who will trash the PS3 whenever they can.
And while they shouldn't be trashing the Wii U and 3DS, especially the 3DS because it didn't get anything wrong, these consoles are now basically in their EOL. As for the EOL itself, what did you expect? The Wii U sold miserably, and the 3DS was at the end of its lifespan. It's a company, they need to make money.
I do understand that the Switch appeals a lot less to Wii U owners because of the amount of ports/remakes they made from the U to the Switch, but the console is still worth it. Unless, as you legitimately mentioned, you don't have the money to spare, and, well, it's fine! Maybe you'll be able to afford it later, I dunno. Or second-hand.

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-02-20 13:45:29

No Virtual Console
Wait for RetroArch, the SHIELDSwitch has the power to probably do PS2/Wii reasonably well.
paid online which is still terrible
They looked at Xbox Live, went "We can do better!" then made a shitty version, yeah.
still has Nintendo console problems like no inbuilt Ethernet and encouragement of gimmick waggle controls…
The inbuilt Ethernet could be added via homebrew, probably something USB-OTG-like. As for the waggle-encouragement… at least it's not Wii Motion Plus!
just all these little things about it that make me think the Wii U is honestly better (but that's not what we're comparing it to). As a handheld it's bulky as f**k.
the Wii U was decent but their handheld part was bulkier, imo.
I'd rather have a cost reduced version of the Switch that just omits the handheld mode because I wouldn't have a use for it. DS sold me on the concept of 2 screens being actually pretty good and they've taken that away.
I'd kinda like this too, tbh…Oh, and the games. There's nothing about Smash Ultimate that couldn't have been done on the Wii U if they wanted to do that; and Pokemon Let's Go is just a big oof.If people still optimized their games well and used Assembly, SSBU could run on the 3DS (if the DSi or NDS had more RAM it'd be possible there, too) but no one does anymore because "lol gotta shit something out".
Lack of backwards compatibility with anything hurts a lot.
I mean… people still probably have Wiis, since EVERYONE FUCKING HAD ONE. That might be why.Super Mario Odyssey is the only thing that I want that doesn't make me say "why should I need a whole new console for this?".I mean… Prime 4 also might be good…?
Ports are overrated, they're just cut down versions of things I can play on other systems, and the Switch doesn't really offer any advantage other than the alleged handheld mode.
that's fair
Mostly the cost. You cannot look at the Nvidia Shield that uses the same chipset and then look me in the eyes and truthfully tell me you believe the Switch is not overpriced as f**k.
See also: "Apple syndrome".
But what I dislike most of all is the fanbase, if I'm gonna be truthfully completely honest.You can't even say the words "Wii U" or "3DS" on Twitter/Facebook these days without some loudmouth chiming in about "BOOOOO DEAD CONSOLES!!! GET A SWIIIITCH" and going on a big rant, and it's just heavily obnoxious. I thought these people were supposed to be fans of Nintendo? They talk more s**t about those consoles than any Sony/Microsoft console evangelist ever has. Undeserved amounts of s**t. There are a few problems with the Wii U and 3DS, but every console has problems; overall the only reason why they're dead is because Nintendo decided to completely and mostly respectively stop supporting them, which is disappointing.
THIS. EXACTLY. I have this issue all the time on gbatemp and the usual response they get is "Unless you're gonna buy it for me, shut up." Never works, but I try at least!
Most of all, I don't want any fucking twerp who doesn't have to pay bills/mortgage/rent to talk s**t to me about how I must be just poor if I can't justify the cost of the Switch. Don't mean to be a grumpy old person but if you don't even comprehend what adult responsibilities are, you should probably shut the f**k up when someone is talking about things that cost money.
yup. "lol just buy a switch" I have $50 free a month and most of that goes towards saving up for getting my GPU some working fans. BUY ME ONE OR FUCK YOURSELF!

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-02-21 11:20:17
I feel for you both. Some people can't afford a Switch, and (unpopular opinion), I feel the Wii U was a good console; just it didn't sell well. Even though the Switch is popular, doesn't mean people can force others to have one.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2019-02-25 22:50:30
I don't think the two consoles are comparable, actually, which is weird because they're both technically "mobile" consoles that satisfy the gamer on the go.

Let's look at the Switch first. Here's a console that has the hardware to handle full-fledged masterpiece games like Zelda: BoTW, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and Super Mario Odyssey. You can't get that on a 3DS, no way. 3DS games may have their place and time, and I could sit down for hours and play something like Pokemon Omega Ruby, Animal Crossing, or any other 3DS title, but none of those titles carry the same weight for me as a true "console masterpiece" does in the way that Zelda or Mario Odyssey do. However, the same could be said about games on the Wii U, too – even with the Wii U failing to sell well at all, it still had stuff like Splatoon, Mario 3D World, or Smash. Those experiences, simply, haven't been replicated on a truly portable console like the 3DS.

Let's think of it this way. A truly portable console like the 3DS has its games tailored for occasions where you'd be gaming portably. You're not going to find a 50-hour, grind-it-out style adventure on any console not meant to be played at home. 3DS games are more meant for short bursts of play; they're games that you can pick up, play for 10-15 minutes, feel like you've made progress, and then set back down and pick it up the next day. Just look at the concepts of routes in Pokemon, or the level system in Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. Most everything on a 3DS is structured for short bursts of gameplay. Which is fine – games like that have a place and time.

And that's why the Switch is so beautiful. It's games aren't designed for one particular style or time – you truly can pick up and play any type of game, anywhere. Want to play a route of Pokemon on your TV? You can do that. Want to go through an entire Zelda dungeon on your commute to work? You can do that. What about playing Tetris at home, online, with 99 other players? You can do that. Wanna sit down around a table at a party with 3 of your friends and play a game of Mario Party? You can do that. The flexibility in not only playstyle, but in the style of games, that the Switch offers, is what sells it for me and puts it firmly above the 3DS, imo.

This isn't to say the Switch is without flaws. Having to pay for online sucks. The joycons are too small for my hands, forcing me to play with a pro controller. Pokemon Let's Go isn't great. It's cumbersome to carry around with me unless I'm already carrying some sort of bag. There's no backwards compatibility. Every peripheral, specifically controllers, are ridiculously overpriced. But all these flaws pale in comparison to how revolutionary the ability to play anything, anywhere, is. The fact that I can wander outside and play Zelda on the bus is mindblowing. I could play games of Smash on my lunch break. The list goes on.

I'd love to see some sort of refined Switch in the coming months and years (maybe something like a Switch mini? Or Virtual Console? pls), but, for now, the flexibility in the style of games available puts it firmly above the 3DS for me. And I loved my 3DS. Here's hoping the new Switch Pokemon game is everything we've ever wanted.

Date: 2019-02-26 08:25:33
there are a couple grind-heavy games on the 3DS, notably Team Kirby or whatever it's called (that one free-to-start game) and Xenoblade.

Date: 2019-02-26 12:18:57
Xenoblade is a port of a Wii game, so ehhh, doesn't really count imo.

Date: 2019-02-26 14:10:46
it's still on the 3DS.

Date: 2019-02-26 20:58:44
I couldn't ever play it because it required a New 3DS. Never ended up getting one of those. :(

Date: 2019-02-26 22:06:40

I couldn't ever play it because it required a New 3DS. Never ended up getting one of those. :(
I feel
really
bad for you. Those extra cores, the higher clock, L2 cache and 128MB of RAM does actually make a big difference, even in some non-New 3DS games.

Date: 2019-02-27 02:02:16
Yeah, I really wanted one for a while. Not only for the better hardware/processing speed/etc, but for the more thoroughly-implemented 3D as well. From the console's marketing, it really seemed as if the "New 3DS" was the 3DS they wanted to make all along.

… which makes me irritated at Nintendo for releasing a product before they felt it was fully realized, but that's entirely conjecture.