Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Introductions

Goodbye threads are now forbidden - Page 1

Goodbye threads are now forbidden

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2008-05-10 18:07:34
Due to the emotional tearjerking and drama goodbye threads create, they are no longer not allowed on this forum.

If you are leaving, feel free to stick it in your signature or something.

Threads that urge a member to come back are also not allowed.

Edit: Threads about retiring from staff or losing status are also not allowed. Stricken out

Re: Goodbye threads are now forbidden

Posted by: Yuzihax
Date: 2008-05-10 22:05:20

Due to the emotional tearjerking and drama goodbye threads create, they are no longer not allowed on this forum.

If you are leaving, feel free to stick it in your signature or something.

Threads that urge a member to come back are also not allowed.

Edit: Threads about retiring from staff or losing status are also not allowed.

Uhh, that's kind of stupid.
Yeah, goodbyes are emotional and dramatic, that's to be expected with everyone when someone leaves.
But is that really, overall, any reason to nix the ability to say goodbye to a forum's members when they leave?
Sure, let people stick that stuff in their signature, but how many people do you think are going to check someone's signature to see if they're leaving?

Seriously, just because a freaking goodbye is emotional and sometimes dramatic doesn't really mean you have to nix the ability.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2008-05-12 10:02:34
Retireing from staff threads, NOT ALLOWED!
Jeez people!
Allowed now.

Posted by: hoggins
Date: 2008-05-12 11:31:40
I have to admit, that IS rather stupid.

I sort of understand about threads urging members to come back not being allowed, but threads about people leaving being forbidden? That's just heartless, especially if your reason is because they cause emotion. People often want to express their feelings to the full in those threads, & when you have to compress all of that into your signature, you'd find that it's lost everything about it that made it your own, rather than just "I'm leaving because everyone hates me/I'm a total ****/etc.".

Posted by: Phrawger
Date: 2008-05-12 20:10:07

I can't say I agree with the new ruling. Leaving threads maybe, but staff threads are sometimes needed for staff that are permanently leaving. Members look fondly back upon those staff and it'd be nice to say goodbye.

Posted by: Don Watermeleon
Date: 2008-05-12 20:24:14
I mean, I sort of agree with this ruling. Unfortunately, I've seen it happen too much where people leave just for attention, and after a bunch of people urge them to come back, they do it after a week or so. And this sometimes happens a lot. :/

This signature rule works well for people who post a lot, since you're probably going to notice it, and if a person left who made only about 10 posts, it really wouldn't make a big difference anyway.

Just my thoughts, I really don't have a major preference over the ruling on this. :)

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2008-05-12 21:27:44
Heartless? Maybe, but it beats having to put up with "waah everyone hates me I'm leaving forever" threads posted by people who come back two days later.

Also remember that I'm the admin who, allegedly, doesn't give a flying fuck about his members.

Edit: Just so you know the above statement was sarcastic. Also, to expand on my post, I'd like to point out that most goodbye threads are of the form "<someone>/<the admins>/<everyone> hates me so I'm leaving forever", and the people who post these threads usually end up returning anyway after getting 2 or 3 pages long full of replies that assure the OP that no one hates them (this is generally true, I don't think anyone here is hated by anyone). Most people who actually do leave for longer than a week (ACE91 doesn't count) are the ones who don't post such threads.

Posted by: FooBot
Date: 2008-05-30 08:40:01
I actucally agree with Abwayax.
There are other ways to wis your forum friends goodbye.
PM's are one of these.
The main purpose of posting a goodbye thread is to get people to be all tear jerky about your leaving. Its kinda narcissistic when you think of it, grabing for attention as a last action on a forum.
Now a staff step down thread can sometimes be useful, but that doesn't belong here.

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2008-07-05 19:23:47
Heartless? Maybe, but it beats having to put up with "waah everyone hates me I'm leaving forever" threads posted by people who come back two days later.

<not really sarcasm>I wonder who that could be.</not really sarcasm>
I agree with, Staff Position Loss and all of the above. I don't think we should delete the threads that are already…breaking the "new" rule. Just leave 'em. Stupid post count increasers. thats why it should be HIDDEN!

Posted by: HiddenShadow
Date: 2008-08-29 19:01:18
*Laughs* I'm gonna leave and never come back until after about a week! *Cries* Cuz you all ate me…wait…*Looks closer at hand* Oh! Hate me. *Laughs again* Wow. I see that a lot on websites. I want to make something clear though. If it seems like I'm trying to draw attention to myself at times, I'm sorry. I'm not trying to. Like that suicide thread. I didn't post it to see how many people would reply. I just wanted to know if maybe anyone had advice on depression or something, so again, I'm sorry if it seemed like I was trying to draw attention to myself. That was not what I wanted people to think.

Posted by: blitzer
Date: 2008-10-29 23:03:25

I actucally agree with Abwayax.
There are other ways to wis your forum friends goodbye.
PM's are one of these.
The main purpose of posting a goodbye thread is to get people to be all tear jerky about your leaving. Its kinda narcissistic when you think of it, grabing for attention as a last action on a forum.
Now a staff step down thread can sometimes be useful, but that doesn't belong here.

PMs are zetta slow and too specific.

Posted by: Chaos
Date: 2009-11-12 19:37:36
So THIS is why no one saw my leaving thread! O_o
No wonder people were wondering where I went!!! :P

Date: 2009-11-14 11:18:09

So THIS is why no one saw my leaving thread! O_o
No wonder people were wondering where I went!!! :P

I thought you put it in a special board or something.

Date: 2020-07-20 00:03:33
Oops! Now EVERYTHING is a goodbye thread!

Posted by: Yuzihax
Date: 2020-07-20 13:47:45

Oops! Now EVERYTHING is a goodbye thread!

lmfao got em