Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Introductions

Greetings GCL people - Page 1

Greetings GCL people

Posted by: Alaistar
Date: 2015-08-10 08:40:25
Hi everyone, Im new here and this is my first post! :3
I am a Pokémon aficionado (especially I and II generation games) and a complete glitcher noob. Im quite ignorant about the subject but I really like it and Id like to know more. Of course I already read many Glitch City Laboratories posts (you guys are great!) and watched as many Youtube videos. I have a question: how did you start doing glitches? I mean.. do I need any sort of knowledge about something like rom programming, assembly.. ? Do you know any sources I can consult that gives me the tools in order to do researches on my own?

Re: Greetings GCL people

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2015-08-11 14:58:56
Hello. Welcome to the forum !  :P

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-08-13 12:12:30
Hey Alaistar, welcome to the forums!

There are a lot of glitches in the Pokémon games that you can already try out, such as the old man trick, Trainer-Fly glitch and "CoolTrainer" type move corruption, that might be nice for you to experiment with. My approach is when you try a completely new glitch is to follow the steps carefully. Then once you have done the glitch a few times, it will become more natural to exploit.

You do not need to have much knowledge of programming or the game's inner workings to do your own research. By doing glitches a little differently, you can discover things for yourself (such as returning to the route you escape from with a Trainer-Fly immediately to avoid battles on that route).

The big list is a valuable so you can know what characters in your name will give which Pokémon for the old man trick, or what Special stats for the Trainer-Fly glitch give which Pokémon, etc.

One useful thing if you are playing on an emulator is to refer to or learn Pokémon Red and Blue's memory structure (not everything is on this link, but you can find more on the GameShark code archives on this site by reversing the order of the last two bytes pairs in a code, e.g. 01xxD8CF edits CFD8), for example, if you don't have all badges to be able to Fly and can't access all fly locations, you can set D356 to FF (every badge) and D70B, D70C (fly locations) to FF FF too.

You can have fun with memory editing through a memory editor such as VBA or the BGB debugger. You can also do something like edit D31E to obtain a glitch item easily and see what it does without having to obtain one with TheZZAZZGlitch's looping map trick. Note that memory addresses are generally -1 in Yellow (so Yellow's item 1 is D31D), with the exception of certain ones like CD38 (lets you walk through walls when a non 00 value).

With glitches that corrupt the memory, such as Super Glitch/CoolTrainer, you can also observe what values areas of the memory get corrupted too. For instance, CoolTrainer corruption has proved most useful for corruption of the species of the opponent in battle (CFD8); hence, you could view that to see what Pokémon got corrupted beforehand, or if the game corrupted data that far, you could view CFF1 to see what the foe's DVs became, etc.

These save files should also come in handy if you're using an emulator.

Good luck and have fun.

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2015-08-14 19:30:10
Welcome to the forums Alaistar! :D

Posted by: Alaistar
Date: 2015-08-17 13:13:14
Thanks, everyone! :3
Torchickens, I'll start with the stuff you gave me. Thanks for your help!
You guys (and girl) are so inspiring.. keep it up! ;D

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-08-21 13:26:05

Thanks, everyone! :3
Torchickens, I'll start with the stuff you gave me. Thanks for your help!
You guys (and girl) are so inspiring.. keep it up! ;D

You're welcome!

Thanks for the kind words.