Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Introductions

Hello, its me - Page 1

Hello, its me

Posted by: CytricAcid
Date: 2016-03-17 23:25:58
i've thought about us for a long, long timeā€¦

hello! i'm cy. as you can see, i've had this account for a while. However, I haven't used it in what, 3 years? And i'm practically a new person now, so I wanted to do a reintroduction, if that's alright. I'm in the process of going through Blue on my 3ds now, using all the glitches I never got to do on my old red game. It's really fun!
I've been a longtime lurker, and I really find glitches interesting. you might say they're a special interest of mine. Either way, they're a huge inspiration to me, as odd as it seems, and being someone who is majoring in Game Design, I've been coming up with ideas on games inspired by glitches of pokemon and other games. Studying glitches has also really opened up my eyes to how video games work and will help me a lot when i eventually get into programming. (Lucky me, the college i'm going to is focused on art and i'm not going to learn any programming :')))) )

I'm an artist and I'm a huge progressive rock enthusiast. my favorite bands at the moment are Supertramp, Budgie, and Todd Rundgren's Utopia. Hi!

Re: Hello, its me

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2016-03-18 18:06:50
Welcome back! I tend to leave and return multiple times myself, been here since 2006 though this account says I joined in August of 2008. :P Anyway, glitches are tons of fun to experiment with. Ever since I found out about Missingno. when I was 10 years old I've been very fascinated with the many number of glitches in the Gen 1 Pokemon games. Anyway hope you enjoy your stay here!

Posted by: Fox
Date: 2016-03-20 22:00:17
Heya CytricAcid,

Very cool! :) I personally find coding to be easier to learn in a more self-paced environment anyway, so I'd say it's not all bad. Kind of weird that some coding wouldn't be part of a game design major, since game design is about working with all the parts to make something great. But nobody's without their bias, I suppose.

But at least there's a pretty good supply of free learning resources out there. I think if you're interested in something more closely related to the glitches, Richard Buckland's intro course on Open Learning might be a good place to start. One of the early things covered is some really simple machine code, with a little input station you get to play with. That's the sort of thing used in the arbitrary code execution glitches.

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2016-03-21 06:15:31
Welcome back, CytricAcid! :)

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2016-03-22 03:37:18
Don't feel bad about your procrastination of introduction, 3 years is nothing compared to some shit I haven't done yet.

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2016-03-24 16:15:07
I was wondering if you wo-
fuck