Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Introductions

I'm new to this forum and Pokémon glitching - Page 1

I'm new to this forum and Pokémon glitching

Posted by: CHINESE
Date: 2017-04-12 18:42:31
Hello, I am new to a lot of the Pokémon glitching and I just want to ask for something like a "Beginners Guide to Pokémon Glitching For Generation One" or something like that. As you could tell with my sort of suggestion title, I only want to start glitching with the first generation of Pokémon, as I think it might be the simpler place to start, especially since I'm still pretty new to programming, and  I know nothing about Assembly language or reverse engineering code. Sorry if I'm being dumb and there's a thread already talking about the basics of this stuff.

Re: I'm new to this forum and Pokémon glitching

Posted by: baconpants
Date: 2017-04-12 19:32:16
I don't happen to have a guide on hand, but I can help you if you would like! Honestly, I stick with and am familiar with the easier stuff. It all depends on where you would like to start, Generation 1 is a mess and has loads of glitches to work with. My personal favorite is the merging glitch, but it requires the Mew glitch and that.

The best place to start would be with well known and easy to perform glitches with little or no side-effects, and that would be something along the lines of the trainer escape glitch, which you can use to get Pokemon such as Nidoking or Gengar at the beginning of Yellow, and get Mew. Another one would be the old man trick to get Missingno. There are many links on the wiki for stuff relating to these, and they're really fun to do.

Once you get into that, you can do cooler stuff such as get glitch Pokemon with the trainer trick and if you want to get into the really advanced stuff, arbitrary code execution can do almost anything within the limits of your emulator/Gameboy.

Welcome to the glitching community!

Re: I'm new to this forum and Pokémon glitching

Posted by: CHINESE
Date: 2017-04-12 19:45:05

I don't happen to have a guide on hand, but I can help you if you would like! Honestly, I stick with and am familiar with the easier stuff. It all depends on where you would like to start, Generation 1 is a mess and has loads of glitches to work with. My personal favorite is the merging glitch, but it requires the Mew glitch and that.

The best place to start would be with well known and easy to perform glitches with little or no side-effects, and that would be something along the lines of the trainer escape glitch, which you can use to get Pokemon such as Nidoking or Gengar at the beginning of Yellow, and get Mew. Another one would be the old man trick to get Missingno. There are many links on the wiki for stuff relating to these, and they're really fun to do.

Once you get into that, you can do cooler stuff such as get glitch Pokemon with the trainer trick and if you want to get into the really advanced stuff, arbitrary code execution can do almost anything within the limits of your emulator/Gameboy.

Welcome to the glitching community!

Thanks! Although this didn't really help that much as I already know about the Old Man and Trainer Escape Glitch, and I want to get into some of the slightly more advanced stuff, but I have really no idea where to start. Anyways, I appreciate your reply!