Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Multimedia Discussion

World War Z and The Zombie Survival Guide - Page 1

World War Z and The Zombie Survival Guide

Posted by: Hydrall
Date: 2008-02-19 14:20:24
Wikipedia Article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWZ

Taking place in the 2010s, the book charts a war against the undead from global pandemic to mass panic, and then to an armed struggle to reclaim the planet. Rather than a grand overview or a single perspective, World War Z is instead a collection of individual accounts, each revealing an aspect of the larger plot and simultaneously presenting a very personal tale. These different accounts take the form of interviews. The book draws from post-apocalyptic and zombie literature. "The Great Panic" chapter describes the rout of civilization in a similar manner to H.G. Wells's The War of the Worlds. The tales cover many genres – the story of a Chinese admiral who spent the war on a submarine would fit easily among techno-thrillers. The viewpoint is not exclusively American, but focuses on the global nature of the struggle. This use of small personal tales creates a patchwork tapestry of the larger events unfolding in the book. Brooks addresses current issues such as environmentalism, the War on Terrorism and international health care. He also offers an interesting juxtaposition between the modern world and that of postwar Earth. For example, Cuba becomes the world's leading economy, Great Britain becomes a major producer of oil, and Tibet becomes the most populous country. This vision of a postwar Earth is startling in its contrast to that of today. It is implied that tribal groups such as South American Indians, Zulu of Southern Africa and Māori of New Zealand fared surprisingly well. One character relates an anecdote about how 500 Māori took on half of the Auckland horde, using traditional tribal weapons, and fared much better than the world's various military forces or Western civilians.

Slightly… Badly written summary by Wikipedia, but read both books. Read the Survival Guide first, to understand it all, then read WWZ, which is the story of what COULD happen in that world.

Anyone who has read it… What you think?

Re: World War Z and The Zombie Survival Guide

Posted by: LedZeplin2
Date: 2008-02-19 14:52:56
I read the Zombie Survival Guide. It is excellent and makes great points about zombies. I agree with this book.

Posted by: FooBot
Date: 2008-02-27 07:40:18
I loved both the Zombie survival guide and World War Z,
great reads, and you learn somthing.

Posted by: Wa
Date: 2009-03-28 09:50:16
I read the Zombie Survival Guide and found it to be an excellent guide. However, I think it relies on firearms too much in the arsenal for my comfort. Some techniques for making improvised weapons would be more useful.

Posted by: Thomas
Date: 2009-03-28 14:42:10

I read the Zombie Survival Guide and found it to be an excellent guide. However, I think it relies on firearms too much in the arsenal for my comfort. Some techniques for making improvised weapons would be more useful.

Yes, it does, but the point is that firearms are some of the best weapons you could ever have against a zombie.

Posted by: Wa
Date: 2009-04-20 21:04:49
Firearms are fairly inaccessible to the average teenager (though Boy Scouts do get to shoot), at least in California. You can't shoot what you don't have or don't know how to use.

Posted by: Phrawger
Date: 2009-07-19 13:44:11
I picked up World War Z before the guide, but I knew enough about zombies beforehand to enjoy it. Fantastic read, a unique style of writing for this genre with a surprisingly deep storyline.