Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Computers and Technology Discussion

Building a Computer - Page 1

Building a Computer

Posted by: Ratipharos
Date: 2008-10-27 17:07:34
So, a few weeks ago, I built a computer. (Gasp!) To anybody else who has, congratulations, to anybody who hasn't, get started. I am willing to tell anybody what to do if a computer crashes due to hardware failure. (Handy, I know.)
Actually, I built the computer because I wanted Spore to work. (Love it? Hate it?) But, unfortunately, I need to pay off 19 USD more for me to be out of debt, and I have no internet for Spore: Creature Creator Trial Edition. Oh, well.
Oh, and for all you Vista Haters out there,  :P. VISTA! Woohoo!

(And, yes, it is me.)

Re: Building a Computer

Posted by: MissingNo
Date: 2008-11-01 14:33:21
1: Vista sucks hard. Trust me on this one.

2: I've not exactly put together my own PC, but I've taken apart a Dell Dimension 2100 countless times trying to figure out WTF happened to it. Turned out the PIII in it was dead. And I had a Gateway machine that had a fried power supply - and those mini-cases and their compact power supplies made it a pain to replace, so out came the big ol' Select 1200 mid-tower case to fix it up.

We shoved the 1200s' guts into an eMachines case from an eMachines with a bad motherboard and powersupply. (Yay Bestec power supplies!)

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2008-11-06 04:02:32

1: Vista sucks hard. Trust me on this one. Not necessarily. 4 gb of ram with an intel core2 duo CPU and a 220 GB hard drive. Runs like a charm.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2008-11-06 14:37:35

1: Vista sucks hard. Trust me on this one. Not necessarily. 4 gb of ram with an intel core2 duo CPU and a 220 GB hard drive. Runs like a charm.

He said Vista not hardware.  Vista sucks, performance sucker, bloated with RAM taking programs you DON'T NEED (other than AERO and the not AERO beautifier that does more shit with how it looks), its hellspawn UAC, etc.

Date: 2008-11-06 23:15:58

He said Vista not hardware.  Vista sucks, performance sucker, bloated with RAM taking programs you DON'T NEED (other than AERO and the not AERO beautifier that does more s**t with how it looks), its hellspawn UAC, etc.

1. I know that he said vista not hardware. I'm telling you that vista runs like a charm on those specs.
2. UAC it realy easy to turn off, period
3. Aero is easy to turn off aswell.

Date: 2008-11-07 08:09:18

He said Vista not hardware.  Vista sucks, performance sucker, bloated with RAM taking programs you DON'T NEED (other than AERO and the not AERO beautifier that does more s**t with how it looks), its hellspawn UAC, etc.

1. I know that he said vista not hardware. I'm telling you that vista runs like a charm on those specs.

But it still sucks performance like a motherfucker and Vista can't run some of the program people want to run. Even Microsoft employees have trouble with compatibility issues.

Date: 2008-11-07 20:00:58

1: Oh c'mon, let me at that box and I'll show you with a few pieces of my software collection that it can run slower than death. *grabs his copy of Visual Studio 2008, Adobe CS4 Master Collection, and Flight Simulator* And I'll 1-up you with the dual-core iMacs in our school's graphics lab.
2: Turn off UAC. Go ahead. Watch Vista nag you if you don't tell Security Center to STFU.
3: Without Aero it looks like a pile.

*I do, however, like Windows Seven's Superbar.*

Posted by: Ratipharos
Date: 2008-11-07 22:09:12

1: Oh c'mon, let me at that box and I'll show you with a few pieces of my software collection that it can run slower than death. *grabs his copy of Visual Studio 2008, Adobe CS4 Master Collection, and Flight Simulator* And I'll 1-up you with the dual-core iMacs in our school's graphics lab.
2: Turn off UAC. Go ahead. Watch Vista nag you if you don't tell Security Center to STFU.

Oh, um, you can't build Macs. They don't sell the parts. I wish I could. They sell upgrades, though.

Date: 2008-11-08 02:02:53

Oh, um, you can't build Macs. They don't sell the parts. I wish I could. They sell upgrades, though.
Actuly, Building a PC and ripping your Mac disk on anothe mac, patching it with a certain patch, and reburning it will allow you to install it… and to make the install persfectly leagal, slap an apple sticker on it(I'm seriouse, it says it's legal to install and run it on a apple labled machine, no not apple manufatured, or apple approved, apple labled(witch means an apple sticker)

Date: 2008-11-08 10:47:03

Actuly, Building a PC and ripping your Mac disk on anothe mac, patching it with a certain patch, and reburning it will allow you to install it… and to make the install persfectly leagal, slap an apple sticker on it(I'm seriouse, it says it's legal to install and run it on a apple labled machine, no not apple manufatured, or apple approved, apple labled(witch means an apple sticker)

So if I say oh… buy a mac disc and run it on a non-mac labeled machine and install it, the FBI will become right outside of my doorstep?  Lol, illegality fail.

Also, this topic deserves a derogatory NOMAC!  Thank you for your understanding.

Date: 2008-11-08 11:42:14

So if I say oh… buy a mac disc and run it on a non-mac labeled machine and install it, the FBI will become right outside of my doorstep?  Lol, illegality fail.

Also, this topic deserves a derogatory NOMAC!  Thank you for your understanding.

1: Gary, fuck the nomac, I <3 my Macintosh Performa 5200CD and it's OS 7.6.1.

2: fivex - you stoned or stupid? Mac OS is illegal to run on ANYTHING APPLE DOESN'T MAKE. iMacs? Legal. Mac Pros? Legal. The Compaq C714NR I own? Illegal. Putting an apple sticker on something doesn't automatically make it an Apple-labeled product.

"Apple-labeled" is defined as a product Apple manufactures and brands, such as a Macbook, iMac, Mac mini, Mac Pro, etc.

Edit: Since I essentially started this whole Apple vs. Vista vs. whatever debate, I'm ending it. Topic locked. Also: Final ruling - Vista sucks ass.