Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Computers and Technology Discussion

Conficker Removal Instructions - Page 1

Conficker Removal Instructions

Posted by: MissingNo
Date: 2009-03-26 14:38:20
Due to recent happenings and threats of the new Conficker worm on the Internet and its zero-day fast approaching on April 1st, I've located and posted the following instructions for GCLF users who believe they have been infected to remove themselves from this harmful zombie computer network.

For an explanation of Conficker and its' history, go to Gizmodo's site to get the deep down skinny of Conficker's varients.

If you feel you have been infected, use the Symantec W32.Downadup Removal Tool. This utility will attempt to remove any found traces of the virus on your computer.

To sum up what the instructions state:
1: Turn off System Restore on Windows ME or XP.
2: Download http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/global/removal_tool/threat_writeups/FixDwndp.exe.
3: Disconnect from the Internet, to ensure it doesn't try to re-install itself. This means disconnecting your Ethernet, Wifi, or your modem.
4: Reboot.
5: Re-run the tool to ensure Conficker has been removed.
6: Re-enable System Restore.
7: Re-connect to the Internet.
8: If not already installed, install anti-viral and anti-spyware software, such as AVG, Avast!, and Spybot Search&Destroy.

Re: Conficker Removal Instructions

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2009-03-26 15:25:32
OR super antispyware
That's a good anti malware program(It's does more than just spyware)
Edit;
It activates on april fools…

Posted by: Thomas
Date: 2009-03-26 15:38:02
Wouldn't that be nice if both my computers wound up destroyed by this virus ON MY BIRTHDAY?

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2009-03-26 15:39:44

Wouldn't that be nice if both my computers wound up destroyed by this virus ON MY BIRTHDAY?
Worst. Birthday. EVer.
That's what it would be.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2009-03-26 16:11:09
They won't be destroyed.  They'll become slaves to the ever-growing, possibly sentient Conficker Botnet.

Posted by: Thomas
Date: 2009-03-26 18:56:01

They won't be destroyed.  They'll become slaves to the ever-growing, possibly sentient Conficker Botnet.

Even better!

Posted by: xparasite9
Date: 2009-04-04 23:33:37
LOLCONFICKERDIDABSOLUTELYNOTHING

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-04-07 16:16:08
I don't think I'm infected with conficker. I now have total 100% control over my computer even though there are some things that no longer work correctly such as saving windows movie maker videos to WMV format.