Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Computers and Technology Discussion

Automatic Updates and BITS Failure linked to malicious registry edit. - Page 1

Automatic Updates and BITS Failure linked to malicious registry edit.

Posted by: xparasite9
Date: 2009-04-04 23:51:22
Malware can sometimes change values from "systemroot" to "fystemroot" and block you from changing it. However, the solution is simple.
Hit Windows key + R to open up the "Run…" dialogue.
type in "regedit" and hit enter or whatever.
Edit>Find… and search for "fystemroot".
Now you'll need to edit the permissions. In case you didn't know, it is literally Edit>Permissions… then for "Full Control" check "Allow"
now you can fix the value. right click the string, click "Modify" and change to "f" to "s" and press "OK"
hit F3 to check for more of these values. you'll need to edit the permissions each time.

Re: Automatic Updates and BITS Failure linked to malicious registry edit.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-04-09 16:29:54
Ah yes but what if Regedit has been disabled by a virus? How do you access regedit that way Mr. Smartypants? ;D\
[IMG]http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc353/glitchhunter09/Regeditdisabled.png[/img]

See! Ha in your face! Sorry xparasite9, but I just had to expose the loophole in your method. Oh and sorry for the image's size but If I shrunk it down smaller all the wording would be distorted and illegible.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2009-08-12 16:58:31
Use the local policy editor and disable the policy to disable regedit ?

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-08-12 18:20:50

Use the local policy editor and disable the policy to disable regedit ?

Ba-BUMP ksh.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-08-12 20:37:25
I've re enabled Regedit and did what he said above but it didn't work. Task Manager is still disabled. I'm sure I've reactivated it with another method of searching for it manually on a different windows XP computer where I actually searched out the corrupted bit.

Edit: I was dicking around with my computer's GPedit and I pressed F8 and somehow one of those two things reenabled Task Manager! I'm free! Actually not quite. Now all I need to do to fix my computer is figure out why it won't let me change the active desktop background and I'll be done. (Maybe I should ask Gerbilsoft on Retro. He'll know what to do.)

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2009-08-15 13:39:59
Why bother, active desktop sucks. hehe