Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Computers and Technology Discussion

eBay'd Verizon UM150 AirCard + Daypass = WIN. - Page 1

eBay'd Verizon UM150 AirCard + Daypass = WIN.

Posted by: MissingNo
Date: 2009-06-06 09:03:52
Some people from the old IRC days know me as being the all-knowing wireless guru, and well, meh.

I just recently took an epic deal on a Verizon Wireless UM150 modem for mobile internet - they mislabeled the item as "VERIZON COMPUTER USB TELEPHONE DEVICE WITH CASE" for $5. This card's MSRP was around $250 when they first came out, and modems like these go from about $80-100 on eBay, depending.

This thing has one of those 'daily access' passes for 24 hours for around $15, and I'm currently on their DayPass plan for the day.

I'm actually fairly surprised at mobile broadband - this feels like I'm still using my cable internet connection right now. I'm pulling on average about 1200 kbps (about 130-140 KB/second) and this is actually pleasant to use.

I'm also testing one thing out: The "on-contract" plans have a 5 gigabyte 'cap' after which overage charges apply. I'm going to go over 5 GB to see what happens, since I was not told that any overage charges would apply on this DayPass plan, which probably means I can download more than 5 GB without fees.

I'm up to almost 4.6 GB as I write this, and it's been about 12 and a half hours into my 24 hour pass.

Anyone else have experience with mobile broadband cards?