Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Computers and Technology Discussion

Close call - Page 1

Close call

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-09-12 23:50:58
22:37:00 <@_2marc> agh
22:37:19 <@_2marc> in my home directory i meant to type "rm -rf I*" but instead typed "rm -rf *"
22:37:58 <@_2marc> but man it worked out great
22:38:15 <@_2marc> because i just so happened to have a couple hundred useless files beginning with capital letters in there
22:39:13 <@_2marc> so by the time i hit ^C it literally deleted all those files
22:39:21 <@_2marc> and left all the lowercase ones intact
22:39:56 <@_2marc> the only file i lost began with a number
22:40:33 <@_2marc> actually it looks like it took out a large chunk of ~/anime/
22:40:47 <@_2marc> but nothing actually valuable
22:42:38 <@_2marc> …you know, maybe i should start keeping backups

Moral of the story: Dont keep backups, keep a couple dozen gibibytes of padding at the top of your home directory!

Re: Close call

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-09-13 00:00:50
Just asking, is it bad that I use a file manager to manage my files?

Date: 2009-09-13 00:07:29
Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. Though Im really working towards an allkeyboard usage setup. And the sheer functionality of having a shell open all the time is great.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-09-13 00:15:33
The shell's great, of course, but I've been finding that I really don't need to use it in most cases. I know I sound like a typical Windows luser, but I really enjoy the convenience of a GUI.

Way back when I still used Windows, there was a period of time when I didn't have a mouse at all, so I had to learn how to use Windows Explorer with a keyboard. I got quite good at it, but I ended up turning on Mousekeys just for those times when I needed some mouse-like functionality.

I tried to do the same with GNOME but it's a bit more difficult to do.

Date: 2009-09-13 00:42:43
GNOME isnt the most keyboardfriendly environment aroundneither is Windows, for that matter. Two programs really made me move toward more keyboard control:Of course, not many people are willing to memorize a few dozen arcane commands just to navigate. Im just happy the option is there.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-09-23 22:51:17

…and search through windows by name with Alt+/. That last one is really making me consider using windows instead of tabs (although that really doesnt play well with Firefox).

Umm…  Ctrl+tab?

Date: 2009-09-23 22:58:18

…and search through windows [size=2]by name[/size] with Alt+/. That last one is really making me consider using windows instead of tabs (although that really doesnt play well with Firefox).

Umm…  Ctrl+tab?

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-09-23 23:02:55

…and search through windows [size=2]by name[/size] with Alt+/. That last one is really making me consider using windows instead of tabs (although that really doesnt play well with Firefox).

Umm…  Ctrl+tab?

Sorry, didn't notice that part.  Carry on.

Posted by: Zach the Glitch Buster
Date: 2009-10-07 18:27:56

calmwm, which lets me spawn terminals with Ctrl+Alt+Enter, run programs with Alt+Shift+/, and search through windows by name with Alt+/. That last one is really making me consider using windows instead of tabs (although that really doesnt play well with Firefox).

An OS X application that has similar features is  Quicksilver.
Quicksilver allows you to set keyboard shortcuts to run applications, provides a streamlined search system witch allows for mouse-less application launching or folder opening. It also has many more features that I have not managed to check out. Its free any anyone running OS X should check it out. Just F.Y.I.