Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Computers and Technology Discussion

Windows Vista is useless. - Page 2

Re: Windows Vista is useless.

Posted by: ?????(000)
Date: 2009-10-23 13:48:32
How would you know without either seeing or testing it?

Posted by: Angrysmurf
Date: 2009-10-23 14:10:07

IMO, the only reason Microsoft gets attacked by so many viruses is because most people know that Windows is the #1 OS in terms of quantity: more people use Windows than any other OS.

A.K.A.-More people attack Windows because there are more Windows computers out there.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-10-23 14:27:54

Lunix and the Macs got 0. (Viruses)

Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-10-23 14:29:33
God sake Jolteon, the guy who was trying to repair my old laptop said if he did managed to get the screen working, and tried to turn the PC from Vista to XP, he said that all stuff would be lost. I told you before about that. Old systems tend to outlast these moden day systems, my 98 lasted 9 years. The updates are still failing, I went to the site like you said Gary, but nothing's worked. I got the Service Pack to install but these updates for Office System, but I keep getting Code Error 646, so I just give up.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-10-23 21:36:08

…all stuff would be lost

Backups?

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2009-10-23 22:06:09

Vista sucks, Windows sucks. I managed to get it to finally upgrade to Service Pack 2, but the stupid three useless updates for Microsoft Office (never use it and my PC had lost that 6 years ago when it was first wiped), they can't be that important if they fail. What I was trying to say, that trying to find a Linux/Mac built PC/laptop in the UK, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack. We have Windows Vista over here in the UK and it's useless! Windows 7 is going to be a failure like Vista, because Microsoft has too many holes, and this is why we have too many viruses, where Linux and the Macs got 0.

Amen.

Do what I did: Prod somebody you know who has an old computer to give it to you, and then get whatever new parts it needs and install an OS.

My computer came from a coworker of my dad's and had no hard drives, RAM, nothing when I got it, just the mobo and PSU.  And now it runs Server 2003.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-10-24 11:21:30
You do not need a new PC to run Linux. Check out Wubi, the Windows-based Ubuntu installer program, which installs Ubuntu Linux directly inside Windows, with no harm to your Windows.

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-10-24 11:55:02
The updates are the same as the three updates my PC keeps getting, and they fails as well. I don't know why there's an security for Microsoft Office, it's just a programme with Word, Outlook, things like that. Oddly enough, when the updates were at 100% they suddenly failed and they have been failing since. So they are either faulty/false updates or the fact they're just not that important as Windows Update claims.