Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Computers and Technology Discussion

LimeWire wants to be axed - Page 1

LimeWire wants to be axed

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-11-07 20:54:05
LimeWire wants killing! I've been trying to download a bunch of horror movies, called the Child's Play series, and I've been using LimeWire ever since iMesh 5 was shotdown a few years ago and that I could trust, as it was virus free, spyware free. Ever since the release of LimeWire 5 (it sucks, I've used it), I've been getting bogus downloads/results, from older versions because LimeWire 5 is just bogus it's a nightmare. At the moment my PC is infected with a fucking virus thanks to LimeWire. I keep getting a Security Center message saying I'm infected (I already know that dumbass!), as I keep getting this stupid IE8 window popping up about the security warning, that won't go the hell away. I've got AVG scanning but it hasn't found the virus yet. I don't use other things, as FrostWire and LimeWire are free forever, but LimeWire is a pest for the fucking bogus results in finding anything, and FrostWire is clueless. I've got Avast! installed and that scans more and quicker than AVG Free Edition. I'm always careful, but the version of Seed of Chucky (Child's Play 5) is a bad copy, the picture size is small, the sound is a bit off at the start, so I'm going to go play Saints Row 2 while Avast is going to scan. I'll post an update if I find anything. But seriosuly, LimeWire wants to be axed. I can't use anything else because it's not free and money is VERY tight in the UK.

Re: LimeWire wants to be axed

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-11-07 21:16:52
Fortunately for me, ever since I was reconnected with my dad not too long ago, he'll spoil me and buy me just about anything I ask for. He once spent 170 dollars on ebay for me.

Oh and its not limewire itself carrying the virus, but the files. The fucking retard who uploaded it onto limewire is at fault, not Limewire themselves.

Anyways, I'm sorry to hear you got a virus. Ever since I got that virus attack this past spring, I don't really search for anything. Thankfully, when I do have to search for torrents, McAfee Site advisor (one of the features in the version of the antivirus I have that actually works.) checks the Stream download/torrent sites for me in Firefox. This way I know which sites are bad and which ones are good. Sometimes it can be wrong but for a majority of the time It does a preety good job of identifying bad sites.

Since Limewire can be accessed from a separate program, I don't really use it ,

Date: 2009-11-07 21:47:39
I swear my XP has had more deaths and viruses than my old Windows 98 system. ¬¬ Well, the virus is called:

Trojan Horse Dropper.Generic.BEEN

I think I know where it's coming from so I may be able to remove it, plus I used to use Torrents, but I kept losing Hard Drive space each day so I stopped. uTorrent I used to use, and now I'd gladly use it if I knew how to, since it's changed since I last used it, so I could add anything I could download to my Drive F that has a shit load of space good for music/movie downloading. For about a week now I've been going through personal problems, (them who are "curious", or just damn well nosy don't bother asking I'm not telling), and I guess it made me to forget that LimeWire is a just a pain in the ass as before I downloaded LimeWire Gold a few years ago and turns out it was a fucking virus, that downloaded itself onto my Drive C and I coudn't remove it. It took about 6 months to remove the fucker. Argh! LimeWire NEEDS to at least make sure the files they accpet don't carry a virus, but they don't.

Edit: I've done a System Restore back to the 1st of November, and it's gone.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2009-11-08 00:33:51
I don't bother with LimeWire.

When I need something quasilegally downloaded, I go on The Pirate Bay.  Just remember only to download from those whose name bears a green or purple skull or a silver plate with "MOD" on it.

Date: 2009-11-08 01:19:23
LimeWire isn't like that. I'd buy the DvDs, but I want to get the US copies of the Child's Play series, after all the UK versions are useless because a lot of it has been cut out where the US version it's all uncut. Child's Play was released in 1988 (the same year I was born, about a few months after I was). I download my software from download.com, it's a site that has all sorts on there, like WMP11 for XP I think, Avast Pro/Home editions, AVG, all sorts. I found out before when I downloaded a Panda antivirus since at the time Avast couldn't detect Conficker (it can now), but that was a virus as well, yet the site is trusted, but oddly enough that's where I got "LimeWire Gold" from. FrostWire was able to find the first season opening theme to One Piece (Japanese version - We Are On The Curise), where AssWire (LimeWire) found my other songs, like Voice, Overlap, Warriors (after 8 tries ¬¬), but they really need to check things like that were I find it a load of bullshit where if you buy LimeWire Pro, I don't think you get any viruses, but any free version you do. Why pay for something that'll barely get used? Talk about a waste of money.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-11-08 11:14:36
You guys are lucky. UK has the complete first three seasons of Power Rangers on DVD. Here in the US, we have both movies on DVD and that's about it.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-11-08 11:14:53
If you're having problems with Limewire and need an alternative Limewire-like program try Frostwire. It's supposed to identical to Limewire Pro.

Date: 2009-11-08 11:59:28
When I was a kid I used to like the old Power Rangers, but now these new shit it just crap. I do use FrostWire and LimeWire, since I found Resident Evil: Apocalypse, (English Version), from FrostWire, but FrostWire, sometimes doesn't know what Child's Play is, it's a horror series about a killer Good Guy doll, and they're fucking awesome. AVG can be good for an Antivirus, but it was useless in finding the virus that was attacking my PC, as the vault said it was coming from the Temp File but I checked that and it was empty. Weird huh?